More sounds for game?

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Davius
Peon
Peon

Re: More sounds for game?

Post by Davius »

I'm not sure about some of the more advanced sounds like for mouboo, (which I would imagine would sound like a deer) but I will start working on some mroe basic sounds for the many small monsters that don't make any noise at all. I would also appreciate it if someone would update the sound chart at the wiki for me. That would help alot.

EDIT: I just 'updated' the sfx wiki, but there was really no updating done in the end because nothing in SFX has really changed that much over time. One other question...do the developers want me to upload the .ogg format sounds or the .wav format sound, or both?

EDIT EDIT: Ok, just finished a complete sound set for the 'Arachnids' category...I did everything except misc. sounds because I believe that too much sound can be bad as well as too little.
Attachments
Arachnids.zip
'Arachnids' Sound Pack for tmw sfx development. Created by me, released to tmw under the GNU GPL.
(66.52 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We only distribute ogg.
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

Ok, cause that is what I put in the Arachnids pack. Hope you can put it to use and this new one too...
Attachments
Fungi.zip
'Fungi' Sound Pack for tmw sfx development. Created by me, released to tmw under the GNU GPL.
(22.37 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

I've made a few odd sound fx over on my windows system.
Baisc instrument sample with a few vst plugins in Fruity Loops. I'll post those when I switch over grab them and convert them. I still want to see about working with the ones we have to create different ones. I think the pinkie "chomp" could be alter to work for a mouboo.

I figured I might as well look around and listen for new ideas. A place I didn't think about going to might have few samples that we could use that are under the GPL.
From a site the I'm sure most of you know and if you don't you should.
http://opengameart.org/content/spell-4-fire This would work good for Flar
http://opengameart.org/content/falling-body Generic falling body. This could be used for zombie and mouboo deaths or any large sprite hitting the dirt.

Even thou there is lots of sound fx samples out there in the wild I found most if not all use CC-BY or some modified form of it.
The ones posted above are listed as GNU/GPL as well as cc-by 3.0. I don't see how this is possible to cross-license this so are these legit under gpl even?

Even when it come to samples under cc i don't think they can be edited and still become legal other work and not derivative and subject to the parent licenses.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

How is the licensing on Fruity Loops samples?
This message used to be meaningful.
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

This is were useing commercial sometimes is a problem.

http://flstudio.image-line.com/document ... ofuse.html

From what I understand that if want I create is considered a new loop then I own the copyrights for something made with this software.
For alteration of a base sample to a "new" sample would mean that the new sample would have to be indistinguishable from the base samples.

I was thinking of creating other samples and just using FLstudio to use my stash of plugins. I don't do alot of sound stuff. I really haven't even looked at software out there yet. If anything to replace flstudio i might go with lmms. I just need to get into looking for more stuff to do this. If i use diffrent software I willnt have to worry about licenses issues. If i needed to I could get the sample included in lmms copy them and use them in flstuido. XD

AFAIK no vst or dxi plugins have and effect or the copyright status. Nobody would use there software to make copy-rightable works if they did.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think the best way to publish open content music is to publish the rendered song together with the project file and samples so that anyone can edit it. But unfortunately this is not possible when you've used the FL Studio samples, because only those who bought FL Studio are allowed to modify it. Free content which can only be edited with unfree software isn't free.

My suggestion for music artists who want to work open source is Linux Multimedia Studio which is a free software clone of FL Studio (and also runs on mac and windows). It might be a bit glitchy here and there and hasn't got the full feature set of FL Studio, but it is still pretty powerful and supports VSTi Plugins.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Hey guys,

I've just had a thought about the hit, miss, hurt, die sounds.

I think a better model would be to have 'swing' sounds, then a simple, common hit sound. This is a much more achievable initial target and then you could add hurt/death sounds for the more major creatures?

From a content production perspective, will probably yield quicker results before branching out more?
Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

Crush wrote:I think the best way to publish open content music is to publish the rendered song together with the project file and samples so that anyone can edit it. But unfortunately this is not possible when you've used the FL Studio samples, because only those who bought FL Studio are allowed to modify it. Free content which can only be edited with unfree software isn't free.

My suggestion for music artists who want to work open source is Linux Multimedia Studio which is a free software clone of FL Studio (and also runs on mac and windows). It might be a bit glitchy here and there and hasn't got the full feature set of FL Studio, but it is still pretty powerful and supports VSTi Plugins.
LMMS also support the importing of FL studio files and the samples are included when you save a zipped project. It can be edited with LMMS.
I just happened to find that out the other day messing around with LMMS.
MerlinX420
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

MerlinX420 wrote:LMMS also support the importing of FL studio files
Well, I tried to import an FL Studio project in LMMS once, and the result wasn't really useable. But that was about a year ago and the FL Studio project was even older. It's possible that they improved that in the recent versions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.