Complete guide to ManaPlus (4144 Patch)[UPDATED! 10.07.2010]

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.

How did you like this guide?

Very helpful!
69%
It was ok...
31%
Too confusing!
No votes
I just don't like it...
No votes

Total votes: 16
Davius
Peon
Peon

Complete guide to ManaPlus (4144 Patch)[UPDATED! 10.07.2010]

Post by Davius »

Ok, this is my first revision on my previous Manaplus tutorial...Back when I made that one I had only limited understanding of it myself. Well, let's get into it! The first thing you have to do is install it, as it is a separate program from the normal tmw client. Now, there has been a ton of controversy about how to link to the download, so I'll try to appease everyone if I can...

For geeks who know how to find stuff themselves: http://tmw.cetki.com/4144/
For Ubuntu or Linux users (You still have to be a geek for this): http://tmw.cetki.com/mana/
For Windows users: http://tmw.cetki.com/download/latest/windows/

It is constantly updated, like, every week, so be sure to keep updated for the latest features and bugfixes. After you have downloaded the program and begun install, you'll go through the welcome screen, the legal screen, and then features screen. From here, you can select or deselect 3 check boxes:

- Music
- Portable
- Translations

Music is all the music tracks you hear in the game. This can take a lot of time downloading and unless you really 'dig' the music you can leave this unchecked. However, if this is your first time installing Manaplus and you have a little time to waste, you may want to install the music and get that out of the way.

Portable is what it says. It installs Manaplus in a fashion that allows you to run it portable from a flash drive. For example, you could select your flash drive as the installation location and check this off.

Translations. This is pretty self explanatory. If you speak a language other than English, (You probably aren't reading this if you are) you can select this box and it will install a bunch of extra translations for the Manaplus interface.

Once you have it finishes installation, go ahead and run it. The first page you will see is server select. Unless you have your own server or prefer a server other than the regular one, select 'The Mana Wold' and hit connect. Next, you will be at the login screen. Just enter your User Name and password and hit login. Next is the updates screen. This will notify you of Tmw events, Manaplus updates, etc...After the updates complete, hit play.

As you first spawn in Mana World, everything in the interface will look quite confusing, but don't worry...We'll get to all that soon enough. Along the top-left portion of the screen are 4 colored bars with text in them. They are (from top left to right):

Green bar: This is your hit points (HP) shows how much health you have left. It depletes when you are hit, but slowly regenerates.
Blue Bar: Mana Bar. This shows Mages how much magic energy they have left. It depletes as you use spells, but does slowly regenerate.
Light Blue Bar: This is the XP bar. It shows your percentage of XP till you get to 100% and level up. If you mousover it it shows exactly how much XP you need till the next level
Grey bar: This is the advanced features bar. We will get into that later.

Next, is a row of buttons. They are:

BC: Bot checker. This feature shows who is being naughty. In case of a bot, the 'result' field will read something like: bot? 2
ONL: Online list. Shows all players who are online. Your friends are displayed in green at the top.
KS: Kill stats. Lots of techie stuff about monster kills and leveling up. I will discuss that in more detail later.
:-) : Emotes. This brings up a list of available emotes. As of Manaplus version 1.0.10.3 there are 19 new emotes available, but they can only be seen by other people using Manaplus. (Fortunately most people DO use it!)
STA: Status window. Allows you to distribute your various status points on Strength, Agility, Vitality, Intelligence, Dexterity, and Luck. Also shows your Level, Money, Mana Points (like Mana Bar), and your XP in a numerical fashion.
EQU: Shows your character and all currently equipped items. By right clicking an item you can Unequip it, drop it, or add the items name to the chat.
INV: Show your character inventory (Backpack), and how full it is in item slots, and weight. When you have it at half of it's maximum weight capacity, you are unable to regain HP unless use use the #plugh spell or store some items.
SKI: Skills. Shows your normal and magic skills. There is no longer a skill points feature so the Skill Points Amount and 'Up' button don't do anything.
SOC: Your social window. Shows who is in your field of view, who is in your party, and allows automatic navigation to preset points (I will discuss this in further detail later)
SH: Shows or hides your shortcuts window. Here you can place items to use or equip, spell shortcuts, or a text messages you want on-hand to say fast like 'Heal!' or 'Hello' These can be programmed in the Spells window.
SP: Spells window. A place to store your known spells so you don't forget, and several other things too. I will discuss this later.
DR: Drop window. Similar to shortcuts windows, but items here will be dropped on the ground automatically and randomly when the U key is used.
SET: All the main settings. I will discuss everything in there in a moment.

Well, that is everything you should see along the top, and now, we can get into the details of what you can do with a few of the more advanced features. First, I will discuss the Advanced Features grey bar that I mentioned earlier. At first, this bar will be grey. But to access these feature you have to activate it. To do this, hit Num 8 and it will fade to yellow. Now, mouse over it and leave your mouse there. Here is the key to understanding each line:

The first number or letter you will see is in parentheses. This is what setting you currently have for that function. - (F)

After the number in parentheses, there is the name of the function. This is pretty self-explanatory. - Feature Name

Finally, there is the key that changes the function setting. If it is a letter, use that letter. If it is a number, use that number. If it is a number in braces, use that number on your Num pad. - D - 3 - [3]

Now that you understand that, here are all the features you can set:

(D) Default moves [0] - I'm not quite sure what this does, but just leave it on Default moves and you should be ok.
(4) Crazy move number # \ - This is what crazy move you have set. To use a crazy move, hold /. To change a crazy move, use \. This can be set to whatever you want. Oh, if you set it to Custom crazy move, it will use the moves you define in Setup. I will talk about that later.
(0) Default moves to target . - This sets how you move to targets when attacking while holding X (Attack and target) default is ok, but you can set it to 'Moves to target in Distance' if you want better range, or 'Moves to target in attack range' if you want it to only target monsters in your range.
(D) Default follow [1] - Sets how you follow a person if you are in follow mode. Default follows them as closely as possible. Relative follows their moves, but does not attempt to follow where they go. Mirror follow mirrors where they move. So if they go left, you go right etc.. Pet follow follows them at a short distance like a pet on a leash would.
(D) Default attack g - Sets what happens when you start attacking a monster. Default just let's you attack it. Switch attack w/out shield equips your best weapon but not a shield as soon as you attack. Switch attack w/ shield equips your best weapon and shield when you attack.
(D) Default attack end - Sets how you attack monsters. Go and attack walks you to a monster when you hold X. Go, Attack, Pickup Walks to, attacks, and picks up and dropped items when holding X. Without auto attack only walks you to the monster you target.
(i) use #ingrav for magic attack , - Sets what magic attack is used with the B key. All of them are pretty self-explanatory.
(7) Drop counter 7 - I'm not sure, but I think this limits how much can be dropped at one time before you must take a break. Someone please correct me on this if I am wrong.
(A) Go and pickup in max distance o - Sets how far the program looks for items to pickup when Z is held. All the options are pretty self-explanatory.
(N) Normal map view f - Sets how the map is viewed. You can browse through them and see what they all are like if you want. For dense-tree areas, sometimes I like to use Ultra map view, as it makes large forests less confusing.
(D) Default imitation [4] - There are only two options here. Default imitation imitates the emotes, sitting, standing, and direction of another character. Outfits imitation imitates the clothes of another player, but it only starts working when the change outfits and you have to have the items they have in your inventory too. It does not 'copy' their items to you. (I know, that's no fun is it?)
(O) On keyboard [2] - This can be activated even when the Advanced features is locked. It simply sends a preset message to any whispers received while it is on, telling people you are afk (or anything else you want to tell them; The message can be customized in Setup)
(G) Game camera mode [+] - This is a new feature. When set to Free camera mode, you can zoom all over the current map with the arrow keys. Unfortunately, it's vision is limited by where you are standing. So, you can't spy on people from far off :(
Game modifiers are enabled [8] - This simply tells you that the Advanced features (Game modifiers) are unlocked to edit. When this is turned off, and the bar is grey, the game modifiers still work though. You just can't change them. This is a good thing because you don't want to edit the camera view when your trying to run in battle.

Well, that's it for that. Now onto the Setup options. The first tab is video. Here are the options you can set here:

Screen resolution - Pretty simple. Goes from custom (whoo hoo!) to 320 x 200 (boo!) all the way to 1920 x 1280 (yeah!) Requires a restart to take effect.
Full screen - Duh
Custom cursor - Sets whether it displays the fancy cursor or a normal black one.
Visible names - Shows or hides the names of other people people.
Particle effects - This is supposed to enable/disenable ambient particle effect. E.g. Waterfalls, fountains, etc...
Show pickup notifications - In chat/as particle - Sets how to show what you pickup. I prefer to have both on.
OpenGL - Sets OpenGL as the game renderer. Requires restart.
HW Acceleration - Sets it so your hardware, not software renders the game. This often boots performance, though it depends on your system
Enable Opacity Cache - Caches the window opacity and speeds up the game
Show own name - Shows your name
Hide shield sprite - Not sure what this does...Anyone who knows and could tell me would be appreciated
Low Traffic Mod - Not sure about this one either. An explanation would be appreciated
Font size - Duh again, unless you don't know what font means.
GUI Opacity - Sets how transparent the menus are. Does not affect text
FPS Limit - Limits the Frames per second to the amount you set
ALT Fps Limit - Alternate Frames per second limit (Not quite sure what this does)
Overhead Text - Set how text people chat is displayed
Ambient Effects - Sets from Off to High. Affects clouds, fog, etc...I usually have it set to low or off for the graveyard to reduce eyestrain
Particle detail - Sets how many particles are shown when attacking, healing, casting spells, etc...
Show background - Shows or hides the startup background (Splash screen)
Sync player move - Syncs the movement of players within the server
Draw hotkeys on map - Shows or hides the letter or number shortcut for Navigation. I'll explain more about that later
Draw path - I think this should show the path to a location on a map like in debug map mode, but it doesn't. Any explanation of this would help
Show job - Redundant option...Jobs is no longer a feature in tmw
Log NPC Interactions - Logs NPC interactions to... somewhere. I'm not quite sure.

That's it for the Video tab. Moving on to the audio tab...

Enable audio - Mutes or plays all audio and music...Like a master volume control
Enable music - Enables or disenables background music
Enable game sfx - Enables monster sounds and not much else
Enable GUI sfx - Enables the whisper alert sound and....not sure what else
Sfx Volume - Sets the volume for monster sounds
Music Volume - Sets the volume for the background music
Enable mumble voice chat - I'm not quite sure what this is for.
Download music - This downloads the music tracks on next startup if you didn't install them with the program.

Joystick tab:

Enable Joystick - If you have a joystick, this allows control of the character with it.
Calibrate - Calibrates the joystick to the game

Keyboard tab - Here all list all the current keyboard shortcuts for the game and what they do

Move Up: Up - Duh
Move Down: Down -Duh again
Move Left: left - Triple duh?
Move Right: right - Need I say it again?
Attack: left ctrl - Attacks a targeted monster
Target & Attack: x - Targets and attacks monsters. The range and attack type can be set in advanced options, which I covered earlier
Move to Target: v - Moves to the currently targeted monster or person when held. Can also be used as a quick follow
Change Move to Target type: . - Changes the Move to Target type when advanced options are unlocked for editing
Move to Home location: d - When sitting, use Num 5 to set 'Home' and then hit d to go there. You can set one Home location per map
Set home location: [5] - Sets the home location on a map
Move to navigation point: right shift - Shift + #number moves to that preset location if it exists. For Example:
Smilie: left alt - Like move to navigation point, Left Alt + #number would use that emote if it exists

Ok, I think I'll put in a quick note here while I'm on the subject...Left Alt + 1-9 would use those emotes...but what if there are more than 9?
The Manaplus Left shift + #/Left alt + #/right ctrl + # etc... shortcuts go like this:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 - = Backspace Insert Home q w e r t y u i o p [ ] \ a s d f g h j k l ; ' z x c v b n m , . /
Ok, and that's all of them. Right up the list. Now, we can continue.
Talk: t - Talks with an NPC if you have them targeted. Target and NPC with n
Stop Attack: left shift - Stops attacking whatever you are attacking
Target closest: a - Targets the closest monster
Target NPC: n - Targets the closest NPC
Target Player: p - Targets the closest player
Pickup: z - Picks up the items in your range. When held, it walks around and picks up too
Change Pickup Type: o - Changes how you pickup items in the advanced options when they are unlocked for editing
Hide Windows: unknown key - This one comes unset, so you have to set it yourself. It closes the chat window and only opens it when you press enter to type
Sit: s - Sits
Screenshot: p - Takes a screenshot
Enable/Disable Trading: r - Allows or disallows incoming trade requests to be accepted
Change Map View Mode: f - Changes the map view in advanced options
Items Shortcuts Key: menu - This means that you don't have to hold a key and then use a number or letter to use shortcuts. I'm not sure how to set it to this if you unset it, though, so better leave it alone.
Item Shortcut 1-20 - Allows you to set the keys for item shortcuts, recently upped to a max of 20
Help Window: f1 - Shows the help window
Status Window: f2 - Shows the status window
Inventory Window: f3 - Shows the inventory window
Equipment Window: f4 - Shows the equipment window
Skill Window: f5 - Shows the skills window
Minimap Window: f6 - Shows or hides the minimap window
Chat Window: f7 - Shows or hides the chat window
Item Shortcut Window: f8 - Shows or hides the item shortcut window
Setup Window: f9 - Shows the Setup window
Debug Window: f10 - Shows the debug window (for geeks)
Social Window: f11 - Shows the social window
Emote Shortcut Window: f12 - Like the Item Shortcut Window, but shows your emotes instead
Outfits Window: ` - Shows your outfits window. I will discuss this more later
Shop Window: unknown key - Shows your shop window. I will discuss this more later
Quick drop Window: w - Shows or hides your drop window. Drag items there and hold the u key to drop them
Kills Stats Window: e - Shows your kill stats window. I will talk about that later
Commands Window: j - Shows your commands window. (Spells window) I will talk about this later
Bot Checker Window: ] - Shows your bot checker window
Emote shortcut 1-38 - Allows you to configure the Left shift + # keys that use your emotes. Best left alone.
Wear Outfit: right ctrl - Control Key + Left & Right arrow keys select between your outfits. Control Key + # works too
Copy Outfit: right alt - I'm not quite sure how this works..but I will get into outfits later
Copy Equipped to Outfit: ] - Copies the currently equipped outfit the the currently selected outfit slot
Toggle Chat: enter - Toggles chat mode
Scroll Chat Up: page up - Scrolls the chat up
Scroll Chat Down: page down - Scrolls the chat down
Previous Chat Tab: [7] - Moves to the previous chat tab
Next Chat Tab: [9] - Moves to the next chat tab
Previous chat tab line: [7] - I'm not sure why two of these are here with the same shortcut
Next chat tab line: [9] - I'm not sure why two of these are here with the same shortcut
Chat Auto Complete: tab - For example, if you start typing '#zukmi' it will finish to '#zukminbirf' when you press tab
Deactivate chat input: escape - When toggle chat has chat on, Escape turns it off
Select OK: Space - Selects the ok or yes option when talking to an NPC
Quit: Escape - Escape allows you to shut down the game with several options: Save State (Saves the current player position), Quit, Switch Server, Switch Character. Those are all pretty easy to interpret.

The Colors tab allows you to set the colors and display style for the names of monsters, people, NPCs, etc...The 'type' and 'delay' features are kind of cool to play with.

Chat tab:

Remove colors from received chat messages - Sets all chat colors of chat messages to black
Log magic messages in debug tab - Shows the magic spells used in the debug tab
Allow magic and GM commands in all chat tabs - Lets you do a magic spell or GM command in any chat tab (GM commands only work if you are a GM :( )
Show server messages in debug tab - Shows messages like 'Unknown command' in the debug tab.
Limit max character in chat line - Limits how many character you can type in the chat bar
Enable chat log - Enables or disenables the chat log
Limit max lines in chat - Limits how many lines of chat logging are displayed in the chat bar
Enable trade tab - Enables or disables the trade tab, which shows messages trade-related
Hide shop messages - Hides messages related to player shops. I will discuss those later on
Show chat history - Shows or hides the chat history

Last edited by Davius on 08 Oct 2010, 15:59, edited 6 times in total.
Davius
Peon
Peon

Re: Complete guide to ManaPlus

Post by Davius »

Several people have rated my guide 'It was ok....' and if you do rate it less that perfect, I would appreciate it if you would give a reveiw stating what you didn't like and make your own suggestions...I do plan to make revisions of the walkthrough later on.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Davius wrote:Several people have rated my guide 'It was ok....' and if you do rate it less that perfect, I would appreciate it if you would give a reveiw stating what you didn't like and make your own suggestions...I do plan to make revisions of the walkthrough later on.
The numbers on the screenshot are incorrect.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

Ooops... :P I fix!
Arphetic
Novice
Novice

Post by Arphetic »

You should link to the ManaPlus download page, now your only linking for windows, and have the idea most players use linux.
bcs86 wrote:This game is a long way from looking like something people could take seriously.
Davius
Peon
Peon

Post by Davius »

I would have, but I don't know which download is for Linux...
Krist
Novice
Novice

Post by Krist »

and writing this took how many hours? lol

I don't have the patiance to read it, mostly because I'm not a noob and I know how it works...

anywho,

Krist
I used to have Dark Talisman...then I turned level 6.

Official Server (Krist 82 or Krist's Slave Boy 52 or Krist's Squire 47)
Mon serveur préféré est tmw.ufbteam.com :D (My preferred server is the UFB Server)
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

You should look into editing the help menu for Manaplus for 4144. (f1)
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

There is no option for "I simply didn't like it"
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Speiros01
Novice
Novice

Post by Speiros01 »

Davius wrote:
3. Be careful with nuke. I'm not sure if it is ever possible to bring back a player you have nuked unless you uninstall and reinstall the whole program.
I nuked Tradebot once, by accident. Closing the game and reopening it fixed it for me. It also happens to those annoying people who I nuked. They also came back (Oh, the fun and the joys). Still, it is good, as I could have been having a bad day, and nuked someone I don't dislike for some abstract reason. (The voices said "Nuke him!!!")

I don't know if it is the same for everyone, but it is only temporary for me.
A.K.A "_speiros_", by a mistake I made...lol
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

i don't know the link to the manaplus page but i am going to explain how to make it work on linux anyway :D

1. download the stuff from the mana plus page
2. unpack the file
3. make a folder called "mana plus" at a spot you will find it again. For example in the Home Folder.
4. Put the content of the unpacked file (that you just downloaded) in there. ! not the whole folder, just what is in it!!!

5. open a terminal
6. cd /path/to/mana plus
7. type: ./configure
8a). if it says in the end "now type make" type: make
8b). If it tells you that some libs are missing. Install the missing libs. Best with synaptik. normally they are in
9. type: ./configure
10. when it says "type make", type: make
11. type: make install

12. close the terminal
13. Applications -> Games -> Mana Plus

have fun

p.s. i hope i didn't forget something apart from the link
As long as it's not about my eye...
CAUTION! Do not look into laser with remaining eye.
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Leela wrote:i don't know the link to the manaplus page but i am going to explain how to make it work on linux anyway :D
Page always same http://tmw.cetki.com/4144/
Leela wrote: 7. type: ./configure
11. type: make install
This better doing only on distros, where no precompiled packages.
Now precompiled packages for most ubuntu/debian distros here http://tmw.cetki.com/mana/
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

@4144 the ubuntu synaptik has tmw in it but it is a VERY old version. 26.1 or so?
Knight
Knight

Post by 4144 »

Leela wrote:@4144 the ubuntu synaptik has tmw in it but it is a VERY old version. 26.1 or so?
Depend on ubuntu version. in last versions 0.0.29.1

For manaplus need add additional repository from here http://tmw.cetki.com/mana/
Leela
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Leela »

oh i see. well i still use ubuntu 9.04 (my pc doesn't like newer versions of ubuntu)

so i guess for people like me, who are stuck with an older version of ubuntu, my solution might be good, the others should follow 4144's advice to download it with synaptik :)