[REQ] Reaper Quest sfx

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Re: [REQ] Reaper Quest sfx

Post by dariunas »

Death FX for the Reaper attached in .ogg format. Please me know your thoughts. Was it close to what you were thinking?

Just had another listen and thinking it might need more of a growling/howling/shrieking element though...
Attachments
TMW_Creature_Reaper_DEATH.ogg
(100.8 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Last edited by dariunas on 15 Mar 2011, 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Brain Eater lunge attack FX
Attachments
TMW_Creature_BrainEater_ATTACK.ogg
(23.29 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Ok so here are my comments:
  • First, really good job, continue, the game is really lacking of sounds
  • Now, for the first sound posted (death sound), could you please remove the backround reverb, i think it would make the sound cleaner however like this, it shows how deep the cave/crypt we are in.
  • Again for the death, try making something like a "uh nooo" sound cause this seems like the reaper is caughing... (Maybe think of boss in games (in mario: Bowser)
  • Now for the other sound (brain one) : I am more thinking of something like a jelly sound or maybe a blob that bites... idk… please post other ideas
Again, these are great and I only posted what I think, please suggest and post your ideas.
Honestly, how much time does it take you to create sounds like these?

Best regards,
Ali-G
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thanks very much :) No problem; I can re-work these.

From beginning to end for each effect, it can take anything from 2 mins, 20 mins or 2 hours.

Sometimes I need to layer up sounds and process them; the main factor is experimentation. I'm relatively new to sound design, so not as quick as I'd like to be. Sometimes sounds are ready to go as soon as they're recorded. Other times they require a bit more (or a lot more) processing. At other times, I lose track of what the end sound needs to be and get a bit buried in the process of creating the sound, so end up saving out the effect for something in the future and starting a new one again.

The process is like that; in ways, a song or sound pulls you in the direction it wants to go.

The Brain Eater sound was probably 5 mins of work. I had previously kept the raw recordings of vocal work I did for another project involving Zombie sounds and there was a take in there that had the quality I was after.

And the reaper death was more like 20-30mins (including time spent on efforts that were way off and early and recordings that just didn't have the right character)

I'm in agreement about the Reaper sound, I read back the description and listened to the effect again after I posted and thought "Hmmmm... doesn't have quite the effect I thought... sounds more like I just killed a big zombie :|"

I'll re-work these a bit, though on the Brain Eater attack sound, I thought it would be an 'attack attempt' sound, so was thinking that I could include the 'successful hit' sound (as you described) under a separate effect that could play when the attack connects on the player?
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Great work. I would like to be able to say its perfect but I cant quite tell yet. I am still getting the brain eater synced up and I haven't gotten to updating the reaper death graphics yet. You managed to pick the two things I am still working on! Timing frames for the xml and testing out the graphics is tedious and one of my least fav things to do.

I think the brain eater is done, though I might have to increase the tempo a bit to match the graphics, so I'll get back to you on that.

As for the reaper death, I agree with Ali-G on the reverb. Maybe post a clip without any reverb. The new death sequence for the reaper is not up yet but the old one should still give you a good idea of what it will be like. Here is the link to the spritesheet, the death frames are the bottom several rows where the purple smoke starts to appear.
http://gitorious.org/~wombat/tmwdata/ca ... reaper.png
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Thanks guys; that feedback and the pictures helped somewhat. Let me know what you think of this one.

If you need the Brain Eater FX length altered, just let me know.

I'll work on the Reaper hurt sound before I continue with the music...
Attachments
(48.33 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Nice! Though the more I listen to it, the more I think it should be less high pitched. I lowered the pitch in audacity by 9 semitones (9-8 seems to be the sweet spot). Something kind of interesting happens too. It sounds like you layered 2 vocal clips and after the pitch change you can almost hear both. Now there is the main shriek and near the middle to end there is a second sighing voice. Its kind of like a chorus of the dead...

Here is the pitched down version
Attachments
TMW_Creature_Reaper_DEATH3.ogg
(34.31 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I like both. Maybe, nmaligec, try making this sound more like a complait, maybe something that fades out at the end.

Great job guys! :)

Regards,
Ali-G
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Nice one. I think I prefer it lower pitched also. Layered 3 versions together. Two sounded very familar, but to give it that other-worldy sound, needed another 'voice'. So you kind of hear a shriek and a wail...

Think it definitely sounds more monster-like, pitched down - good call!

Here's the result of both combined...
Attachments
(51.7 KiB) Downloaded 164 times
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Rebalanced death FX
Attachments
TMW_Reaper Death.ogg
(41.12 KiB) Downloaded 156 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I like it very much! Please continue on other sounds such as the reaper's attack. Maybe create a new backround music for the crypt / graveyard inn / graveyard, etc...

Really good job here! :)
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Attaching the latest version of the Reaper battle music... a few sections that need changing.

At the moment, I still need to address the abrupt change at around 35secs and again at 47secs (thinking about taking this 10second section out completely) but this will at least give you a better feel for the progression of the track...

Still planning to work on the Reaper 'hurt' sound...
Attachments
2011-03-16_The Mana World - The Reaper_Battle-draft.ogg
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 184 times
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

Ok, that seems to be good. However, I would make the beginning clearer since it is a bit messy with all these sounds coming in and out... In addition, I would fade in the beginning and fade out the end or I would make the end come back to the beginning so that we think there are not any end.

Ali-G
nmaligec
Warrior
Warrior

Post by nmaligec »

Great work so far darunias. I had to quicken the tempo of the brain eater sfx to synch with the animation and play a bit with the pitch, but now it fits perfectly!! The reaper hurt sfx can be done once the major sounds are done.

Reaper:
death - DONE

Scythe:
hit - sound of scythe slicing through the air (note the spinning scythe attacks quickly so it should be fast)
hurt - metal blades clashing.

Ball Lightning:
death - a big electric burst (it explodes)

Skeleton:
hurt - dry bones being hit or rattling
death - a bunch dry bones falling on the ground

Brain Eater:
attack - DONE

Now I also need

Wooden door:
creaking open sound - kind of soft not too loud (should be approx 0.4 to 0.5 seconds long).
Head Smasher1
Peon
Peon

Post by Head Smasher1 »

I made some music for Dan I can let you guys see it, dunno if yall like it though...