New playerset's frames and animation

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
Pauan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am
Contact:

Post by Pauan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:19 am

Modanung wrote:
Pauan wrote:My friend Curly created a better blur. Here it is:

Image
This blur is against the reason I made the attack frames the way they are. The whole idea was that the weapon passes through the entire area of attack.
Also I now see some changes in the legs which make the character's movement look odd. His legs became quite stiff and slide over the ground.
I agree with Cosmotrator's point though; the back leg should stay put, not the front one. I'll look into it, but first I need some sleep.
Well yeah, naturally this would be better suited to either a long-range polearm or a short-range attack like a knife, whereas the larger blur is more suited to larger weapons like a sword. :) Heavy modifications and tweaking are necessary, but in the end it should look good and function well too!
User avatar
Falcata
Novice
Novice
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:55 am
Location: Michiana
Contact:

Post by Falcata » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:15 pm

Pauan wrote:
Crush wrote:P.S. That is true. But for a different reason than you listed. Even fantasies have a basis in reality. However, your "rule of cool" still applies. This is a videogame, and as such the only thing that matters is the player. If the player thinks this game is cool and fun, then we have succeeded. But if the player thinks it's lame or boring, we have failed. That is our goal. A master swordsmith can argue all day about the integrity of the blade and how ineffecient it is, but the player honestly doesn't know or care. If a player saw that blade, they would logically think the pointy end is in front. After all, doesn't it resemble a miniature scythe? Thinking of it from a player's perspective, it makes perfect sense. The small hook could be used to slice somebody's head off, for instance. Sure it may not make sense in the real world, but it makes perfect sense to the player, who ultimately is all that matters to a game developer. Realism only becomes a factor if it affects the fun that the player will have.
Fine then. But if the sword is going to be used in this manner, then it's name should be changed, because it is no longer a Falchion. Same goes for it's misspelling, "Falcion."
I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English, a movement for those who believe in capital letters, correct spelling, and good sentence structure.
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Now from TX

Post by AxlTrozz » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Considering the size of the actual monsters I think that's a good movement, If we create a big monster or boss I don't think an attack like that it would be useful
User avatar
Pauan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am
Contact:

Post by Pauan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 pm

AxlTrozz wrote:Considering the size of the actual monsters I think that's a good movement, If we create a big monster or boss I don't think an attack like that it would be useful
Well that's kinda the point.. a sword isn't a long-range weapon, but it's moderately fast and powerful. ;) Plus, people using a sword will probably need a rather high strength stat, so even though they have to be in close, they'll do lots of damage.

...Unless you were referring to the way the sword is held, in which case that was my mistake. :)

...Or if you were referring to the blur made by Curly, then yeah, like I said it'd be better suited to smaller things like knives.
User avatar
Pauan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am
Contact:

Post by Pauan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:17 am

Falcata wrote:]Fine then. But if the sword is going to be used in this manner, then it's name should be changed, because it is no longer a Falchion. Same goes for it's misspelling, "Falcion."
Actually, it's spelled correctly. ;)

Anyways! I shifted around the frames a bit so that the back foot doesn't move anymore. Certainly more tweaks are needed, but tell me what you think anyways. Oh and the first blur is back by popular demand...! :)

Image
Doubi
Peon
Peon
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:28 pm
Location: Tokyo
Contact:

Post by Doubi » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:30 am

Powerful! Looks so much better now the back foot stays put :)

Turns out you needn't have put me on the mantis after all :P

One thing I did like about the other slash was that it used an extra frame at the end to disappear. I think that made the slice look kind of more... decisive? Or rather, I think it's that this one looks a bit weird just disappearing all at once, being so big 'n' all.

It's also nice 'cause an extra frame or two of disappearing blur wouldn't be too much hassle for weapon spriters, and makes it look cooler without making equipment spriters require any more frames :)
User avatar
Pauan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am
Contact:

Post by Pauan » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 am

Doubi wrote:Powerful! Looks so much better now the back foot stays put :)

Turns out you needn't have put me on the mantis after all :P

One thing I did like about the other slash was that it used an extra frame at the end to disappear. I think that made the slice look kind of more... decisive? Or rather, I think it's that this one looks a bit weird just disappearing all at once, being so big 'n' all.

It's also nice 'cause an extra frame or two of disappearing blur wouldn't be too much hassle for weapon spriters, and makes it look cooler without making equipment spriters require any more frames :)
We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. ;) As you said, we can easily change that without affecting the playerset. Besides, when I tried to do the whole disappearing thing, it didn't look right. I'm sure somebody else will come up with something better. :)
User avatar
Cosmostrator
Novice
Novice
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:13 am
Location: USA - So. Cal

Post by Cosmostrator » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:56 pm

This looks great. You got the body movements down in very few frames.
-Cosmostrator
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Post by Saphy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:08 am

Pauan wrote:
Falcata wrote:]Fine then. But if the sword is going to be used in this manner, then it's name should be changed, because it is no longer a Falchion. Same goes for it's misspelling, "Falcion."
Actually, it's spelled correctly. ;)

Anyways! I shifted around the frames a bit so that the back foot doesn't move anymore. Certainly more tweaks are needed, but tell me what you think anyways. Oh and the first blur is back by popular demand...! :)

Image
It is not bad. But there can be many improvements. For example, in the 2nd and 3rd frames, the legs are spread too far apart (the rule of thumb is 2 feets apart and shouldn't be wider than the shoulder), and head is just weird. Maybe it is too stationary, or maybe the body's movement is too exaggerated, but as it is, it doesn't look very natural.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:35 am

Saphy wrote:...and head is just weird. Maybe it is too stationary, or maybe the body's movement is too exaggerated, but as it is, it doesn't look very natural.
The thing with the head is that if you make it turn during the animation you need extra frames for hats/helmets/hair as well.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Dave
Novice
Novice
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Dave » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:25 am

Modanung's totally spot on about the extra headgear frames. Though the rigidness of the head's direction is noticeable, I'm not sure that it looks bad enough to justify the extra equipment frames. Besides, I could imagine a moderately well-equipped character muffling that rigidness a bit. The equipment they're clad in might help to take a bit of focus off of some of the more exaggerated motions.

..I prefer Curly's blur. The other one looks ... hairy?
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:11 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:31 am

dabe wrote:..I prefer Curly's blur. The other one looks ... hairy?
Agreed
User avatar
Black Don
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 660
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:30 pm

Re: New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Black Don » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:35 pm

Its not the head that look weird. I think it does not work quite right because the body mass changes to much when the shoulders turn. He looks like he dropped 50 lbs from the standing position.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
User avatar
Platyna
Knight
Knight
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:19 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: New playerset's frames and animation

Post by Platyna » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:50 pm

I have a feeling this sprite is getting longer while animating...

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
[The rest of this signature was censored by TMWC's "Freedom" and "Free speech".]
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re:

Post by Rotonen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:46 pm

dabe wrote:Modanung's totally spot on about the extra headgear frames. Though the rigidness of the head's direction is noticeable, I'm not sure that it looks bad enough to justify the extra equipment frames. Besides, I could imagine a moderately well-equipped character muffling that rigidness a bit. The equipment they're clad in might help to take a bit of focus off of some of the more exaggerated motions.
We should be able to achieve the desired effect with facial expressions (especially the eyes should play into this). Kind of hard without making more work for headgear, though. Of course, as always, I don't personally have nothing against more work for equipment. Unless someone can provide a solution which does not cause that and also works, we're going to have to do it anyway.
This message used to be meaningful.
Post Reply