Woodland Village (new attempt)

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Post Reply
User avatar
EJlol
Developer
Developer
Posts: 1067
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:42 am

Post by EJlol » Sun Mar 19, 2006 8:25 pm

Image

Dunno how to say this but: the roof looks flat except the top. (see the two lines)

i think it looks better if it isnt flat. now it looks like a big plank with some straw on it.
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:36 am

I'm going to be harsh for a bit:

Those wheat, roads, board walls and fences lack immersion. They're just screaming out "Hey, I'm not real, I'm just a prop". Everything is too sharp (the outlines, geometrically) and smooth-ish (like the one coloured texturing done on cheap plastic toys).

In the SoM pictures there are some issues (gridding in the water for example), but somehow everything just "fits in" and "pleases the eye" at the first glance. This is the level of immersion we should thrive for. It doesn't really have to be realistic or all polished out to the very last pixel, but instead it should have the feeling that all the components belong together.

Additionally I think there is a perspective issue with the roof and the wall.

I hope you're stubborn enough to redo stuff time after time after time. At least in the past this has worked for you.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Techsetsu
Peon
Peon
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:00 pm

Post by Techsetsu » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:57 pm

There needs to be a shadow on the building side where the roof hangs out over it. That's the first thing I think needs to be corrected.
User avatar
knivey
Novice
Novice
Posts: 187
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:01 am
Location: Your Base
Contact:

Post by knivey » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:53 pm

If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
All your base are belong to us.
User avatar
Modanung
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1719
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm
Location: Groningen, The Netherlands
Contact:

Post by Modanung » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:19 am

knivey wrote:If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
Lots of reasons not to do that. I'm not going to list them now.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
User avatar
Pajarico
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 pm
Contact:

Post by Pajarico » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:37 pm

Modanung wrote:
knivey wrote:If you could make some perspective calculations where whats closer to you is bigger it would look lots realer
Lots of reasons not to do that. I'm not going to list them now.
Agree, and I have yet to see a game that has done that.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
User avatar
Ultim
Novice
Novice
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Ultim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:50 am

Rotonen wrote:Those wheat, roads, board walls and fences lack immersion. They're just screaming out "Hey, I'm not real, I'm just a prop". Everything is too sharp (the outlines, geometrically) and smooth-ish (like the one coloured texturing done on cheap plastic toys).
He's very right, the edges of most things are very basic, not natural. However don't listen to anyone about saturation or any of that crap. Your original color picks are beautiful. And the whole thing gives off a rural feel. Very nicely done, as always.
Rotonen wrote:I hope you're stubborn enough to redo stuff time after time after time. At least in the past this has worked for you.
It's not redoing, it's just tiny adjustments!

----edit--

Image
Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
See what i mean? Looks more natural now. You still did a really great job though.
User avatar
Platyna
Knight
Knight
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:19 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by Platyna » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:50 am

Not to put you down (the Woodland map is very nice) Honestly, I don't like that house...especially that wooden stuff. Also, I would like to ask if anyone would be so kind and make that entrance passage wider it is offten blocked by monsters and malicious players.

Regards.
Zuzanna K. Filutowska
[The rest of this signature was censored by TMWC's "Freedom" and "Free speech".]
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:13 am

Ultim wrote:Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
See what i mean? Looks more natural now. You still did a really great job though.
i think the edge looks a lot too irregular now.

don't worry about the paths. i already know how to fix them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:25 am

Crush wrote:
Ultim wrote:Changed on lateral paths: Thinned shading, made grass bunch, poke out, and recess, thinned shading some more, virtually eliminated shading on bottom edge grass-transfer (from our angle, we shouldn't be able to see the shadow),
See what i mean? Looks more natural now. You still did a really great job though.
i think the edge looks a lot too irregular now.

don't worry about the paths. i already know how to fix them.
but our world is full of "bugs" and irregularities... it is them what makes him real :)
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Ultim
Novice
Novice
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:20 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Ultim » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 am

Too irregular... you have a funny philosophy of art, Mr. Crush. As you will then.
User avatar
maci
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 507
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 9:01 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by maci » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:16 am

keep up the good work crush.
its just seems you need some time to do a tileset but the final versions of sth are always great :)
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:27 pm

My barking about the shading is related to the house, I should've been more specific.
It just reminds me of the plastic toy fort (a toy set of the good old politically correct cavalry vs. indians feud) I had as a kid.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:21 pm

i think i got rid of some critique points:
Image
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:28 pm

nice work crush, i like it
Image
Image
Image
Post Reply