question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Post Reply
nmaligec
Novice
Novice
Posts: 253
Joined: 08 Apr 2010, 02:55

question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by nmaligec » 01 Feb 2011, 14:01

This is concerning the death's hand weapon.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... and#p95261

The graphics are done but it needs to be added to the db, hopefully with a useful ability. I would like to be able to have it randomly summon ball-lightning mobs on each attack. Is this possible?

If not, an alternate plan would be to use consumable gems that have code in a UseScript that checks if the death hand is equipped and spawns a ball-lightning (consuming hp and mp aswell). This would be like ammo but used as a usable item in the shortcut bar (like potions). I just realized that the gems would be the perfect reward for completing the reaper quest.


Also while on the topic of item scripts. Someone of authority mentioned that it was possible to add a vampiric weapon to the game. How exactly can we make it so that it heals the player for the damage it deals to mobs???
User avatar
Freeyorp101
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 708
Joined: 04 Nov 2008, 10:17
Location: New Zealand

Re: question about equipment scripts

Post by Freeyorp101 » 01 Feb 2011, 14:33

nmaligec wrote:The graphics are done but it needs to be added to the db, hopefully with a useful ability. I would like to be able to have it randomly summon ball-lightning mobs on each attack. Is this possible?
Not with mainline tmwAthena. Experimental hackish attack procs were partially present in my now discontinued rebalance effort. I could theoretically extract this from every other change present there, given time, if you have a pressing need for it.

nmaligec wrote:Also while on the topic of item scripts. Someone of authority mentioned that it was possible to add a vampiric weapon to the game. How exactly can we make it so that it heals the player for the damage it deals to mobs???
Use the hp drain bonus. Be sure to add any new constants you use to the const db instead of using magic numbers with bonus calls.


---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 17:31

Re: question about equipment scripts

Post by Wombat » 01 Feb 2011, 21:05

in eathena/doc/item_bonus.txt there is a list of item bonuses that can be used.

How I envisioned its use.
Death's hand, in eathena terms, is a grenade launcher and the various undead powders are its ammo. The ammo should have bSplashRange or bSplashAddRange (testing will confirm which one makes sense) of 1 or 2, maybe 3. Adding additional effects to make each ammo unique would be awesome. Damage should be not very high because it is a multiple opponent effect.

Death's hand is a weapon (type 4) grenade launcher (view 21) with powders as grenade ammo (type 10, view 5). Other than this, I'm sure you can envision what this weapon can do rather well.

item_db reference
Current character is "Abolish".
nmaligec
Novice
Novice
Posts: 253
Joined: 08 Apr 2010, 02:55

Re: question about equipment scripts

Post by nmaligec » 02 Feb 2011, 23:19

Wombat wrote:in eathena/doc/item_bonus.txt there is a list of item bonuses that can be used.

How I envisioned its use.
Death's hand, in eathena terms, is a grenade launcher and the various undead powders are its ammo. The ammo should have bSplashRange or bSplashAddRange (testing will confirm which one makes sense) of 1 or 2, maybe 3. Adding additional effects to make each ammo unique would be awesome. Damage should be not very high because it is a multiple opponent effect.
item_db reference
This sounds like a better approach since, as Freeyorp mentioned, it will be a bit complicated to add a summoning effect on attack. I didn't know that what you had planned originally could be easily implemented. I will leave this up to you to add to the reaper quest.
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 17:31

Re: question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by Wombat » 03 Feb 2011, 13:30

You are great with particles, so I'll get with you after it is functional to know what you like or don't like about the stats and splash effect as well as if you feel up for developing the particles. There also are other ways to conceive its operation, but I'm definitely tied to the idea we are going to see splash effects with at least one ammo type from this weapon.

Since it is a wand, it might also be good to establish if wands are taking two views, probably rifle and grenade launcher, which seem to be best suited to be replaced with wands and/or rods with missile capabilities.
Current character is "Abolish".
User avatar
mistergrey
Game Master
Game Master
Posts: 533
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 22:39

Re: question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by mistergrey » 04 Feb 2011, 07:31

I didn't see anything regarding this in the related thread, so a quick question - Is this weapon meant to be used to a specific "class"? By that, I mean what stats will wands attack power depend on? Int, Dex, etc. Personally it seems like something that should require Int and maybe Dex as well since it would encourage more Mage/Archer hybrids.

Also, more out of curiosity, how would this kind of weapon, with an area of effect, hit? Would it require dex to be accurate or always hit like with magic? I can't really see it missing, but you never know lol.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 17:31

Re: question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by Wombat » 04 Feb 2011, 11:04

I figured I would acknowledge your issue mistergrey. We haven't tested yet to discover what a "grenade launcher" "view" would do. I can assume it will be similar to archer. I'll confirm this issue once everything is fixed to make the test happen.
Current character is "Abolish".
User avatar
mistergrey
Game Master
Game Master
Posts: 533
Joined: 03 Jan 2010, 22:39

Re: question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by mistergrey » 04 Feb 2011, 14:34

Thanks for the answer, I'll definitely look forward to seeing how this turns out :D.
Tiana wrote: I apologize if I gave anyone the impression that BC is the troll-king of the GM's. That title is rightfully held by mrgrey :P
<Mistakes> you are too difficult to troll

<Frost> Germans have Chess Boxing. English have Cheese Racing.
<Frost> I'm slightly terrified what the Russians consider violent sport.
<o11c> chatroulette

<Jaxad0127> YOu can't grab yourself.
<Jaxad0127> Elenore explicitly prevents it.
<Mistakes> speak for yourself
User avatar
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1532
Joined: 08 Aug 2008, 17:31

Re: question about "death's hand"'s equipment scripts

Post by Wombat » 18 Feb 2011, 18:51

Okay, a few things about the advanced equipment that was to be added soon, after some testing:

- TMW-eA does not support ammo views...all ammo type (type 10) is considered arrow ammo. No bullets so no pistols, no grenade powders, so no death's hand as grenade launcher.

- TMW-eA needs some source tweaking to enable splash damage (i.e. grenades).
Freeyorp Explains it. If we had a programmer fix this issue, I would think wands could be a class of weapon that had range 2-4, unlimited ammo, low attack damage and item effects like splash damage. This can still be pondered on, but for now, we'll consider splash damage not a possibility.

This means we can rework the death's hand to do effects that aren't focused on splash damage, it could have a range of 2 or 3, but if we can find a view that would make it rely on intelligence for attack damage, then that would be best. I'll continue testing and keep this thread updated.
Current character is "Abolish".
Post Reply