Monster Points

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.
Forum rules
This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums
User avatar
Big Crunch
Game Master
Game Master
Posts: 1046
Joined: 16 Dec 2009, 23:52

Re: Monster Points

Post by Big Crunch » 09 Mar 2011, 15:19

I like the dailies as well, even though I don't do them often.

Help doesn't mean a hand out. We give advice, guidance, and the occasional hand up, mostly in the form of selling things for very cheap. A handout is counterproductive.
sexy red bearded GM
User avatar
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1530
Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 03:10
Location: Internet

Re: Monster Points

Post by Chicka-Maria » 09 Mar 2011, 15:25

Big Crunch wrote:Its my opinion that perhaps developers should focus on doing things to improve the graphics [referring to things that are ingame and need to be fixed because of perspective, shoddy quality, etc] adding content, making the client more streamlined and useable, broadening the user base, and increasing player retention rather than punish a handful of players because of a perceived inequity. If botting is the problem, then give us, the GM's, more/better tools to find them.

I Couldnt agree more with BigCrunch on this one.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
http://themanaempire.webs.com/ - The Mana Empire Guild Website
Alexander Pope wrote:No one should be ashamed to admit they are wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that they are wiser today than they were yesterday.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 851
Joined: 09 Sep 2010, 07:20
Location: California, USA

Re: Monster Points

Post by Frost » 09 Mar 2011, 18:45

Kage wrote:
A. As "keeping" up with people, this bit might not apply to TMW as much as other games. But in most games low levels and high levels don't get to interact much, and there are even penalties for doing so. In my experience you make friends with people that are at a similar level (because you are on the same quests and same areas), however its very frustrating when you logout at night, then come back the next day and they have been grinding the hell out of the game and are now 20 levels higher then you. You no longer get to interact with this person in the game, possibly ever again. And it destroys a key social aspect of the game.

B. Question, do you think if you kill a mob 100,000 times, are you really better skilled then a person who kills it 100 times? What I want to avoid to repeative game play, if you can kill something 100 times, I am pretty sure you can kill it 100,000 times given enough time. I don't want to reward people for killing a mob 100,000 times over 100 times because there is no logical reason why person A is a better player then person B. They are equally skilled, just one has more free time then the other. Personally I stand from the standpoint where I don't WANT someone to spend 10 hours a day playing my game. They need to get out more. Socializing in game is ok, but actually farming herbs or something for 10 hours is not. Some argue that this is in core the nature of MMORPGs but I disagree. Skill should be stronger determiner one's progress, NOT amount played.
A. I don't see where 20 levels either way makes a jot of difference unless you include levels too low to make it outside of Tulimshar. Of course level matters in some places (eg. graveyard and yetis), but there are plenty of areas in the game where different levels can and do have fun together. If someone who grinds all night doesn't socialize much with someone who has a job and family and plays an hour a day, that sounds like life, not a function of the game.
"You no longer get to interact with this person in the game, possibly ever again." That doesn't even begin to make sense in TMW.

B. You go on to state that you "don't WANT someone to spend 10 hours a day playing [your] game. They need to get out more. Socializing in game is ok, but actually farming herbs or something for 10 hours is not."
I agree that some (many) of the regulars in this game would benefit from fresh air and a little more time in Real Life -- yes including me. The arrogance in your statement is grating, though. You're going to tell us little people how to play TMW based on what you know is good for us?

Yes, player development is different than character development. My level 95 main character complains about his low-level player. ;)
Currently, player skills might include things like playing as "archer," "warrior," or "mage," fighting in Candor as each of those, skill as a merchant, certain leadership skills, learning how to more effectively use the game interface (including manaplus), and learning how to socialize in the game environment.
If you want to see players develop their skills, offer more opportunity for that. Please leave your "White Man's Burden" out of this.

[Edited to reply to Kage's following post]
Kage wrote:As I said it might not apply to TMW as much as other games. But typically when I play a MMORPG I want to play with friends. And most games don't allow players at large level distances play to together.
I agree. In fact, that's one reason I enjoy TMW so much. It clearly bothers you enough in TMW to cause you to raise the topic.
Kage wrote:You enjoy things you earn your self more then that which is given to you.
Couldn't agree more. I also have greater respect for those who choose to do quests for themselves.
Kage wrote:I talked to sugar earlier today and she enjoys looking forward to doing the black stinger quest everyday, and she enjoys that it saves her time.
The daily quest concept is brilliant, and the framework for it is truly elegant. I think this is one of the best responses to botting, too. Thank you for creating this, Kage.
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: Monster Points

Post by Kage » 09 Mar 2011, 19:52

You know... nvm

*bites tongue*
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
User avatar
Okurwieniec !!!
Peon
Peon
Posts: 20
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 17:03
Location: Alps

Re: Monster Points

Post by Okurwieniec !!! » 10 Mar 2011, 06:57

Frost wrote:

You go on to state that you "don't WANT someone to spend 10 hours a day playing [your] game. They need to get out more. Socializing in game is ok, but actually farming herbs or something for 10 hours is not."
I agree that some (many) of the regulars in this game would benefit from fresh air and a little more time in Real Life -- yes including me. The arrogance in your statement is grating, though. You're going to tell us little people how to play TMW based on what you know is good for us?


And I absolutely agree with him.

You see, Mr. Kage, after reading all these posts I have like impression that your ego is really huge.

You don't want, your game, you are elite, and you know. WOW.

You seem to absolutely don't care about what the other people are saying - you know better.

What you seem also to completely forgot, programmers work (as any other) serves the others - users or players in this case - and it no really matters if you agree or not with us, you should do what we are asking you to do, because (i hope) you are coding this game for us, not for yourself.

If not, the solution is to create and maintain your own server, where you will be the only presence, so then no one disagree with you :D

P.S.:

No one says how you should to code, so please, return us the favour and don't say us how to play.

The same about what we are doing with our time. You feel our great father or something?
You Don't Know The Power Of The Dark Side
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: Monster Points

Post by Kage » 10 Mar 2011, 09:35

Okurwieniec !!! wrote: You seem to absolutely don't care about what the other people are saying - you know better.
First off, I do care what others are saying, if I didn't I would respond or ask for feedback at all.
Okurwieniec !!! wrote: No one says how you should to code, so please, return us the favour and don't say us how to play.
You know so very little.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
User avatar
Big Crunch
Game Master
Game Master
Posts: 1046
Joined: 16 Dec 2009, 23:52

Re: Monster Points

Post by Big Crunch » 10 Mar 2011, 16:00

Okurwieniec !!! wrote:Frost wrote:

You go on to state that you "don't WANT someone to spend 10 hours a day playing [your] game. They need to get out more. Socializing in game is ok, but actually farming herbs or something for 10 hours is not."
I agree that some (many) of the regulars in this game would benefit from fresh air and a little more time in Real Life -- yes including me. The arrogance in your statement is grating, though. You're going to tell us little people how to play TMW based on what you know is good for us?


And I absolutely agree with him.

You see, Mr. Kage, after reading all these posts I have like impression that your ego is really huge.

You don't want, your game, you are elite, and you know. WOW.

You seem to absolutely don't care about what the other people are saying - you know better.

What you seem also to completely forgot, programmers work (as any other) serves the others - users or players in this case - and it no really matters if you agree or not with us, you should do what we are asking you to do, because (i hope) you are coding this game for us, not for yourself.

If not, the solution is to create and maintain your own server, where you will be the only presence, so then no one disagree with you :D

P.S.:

No one says how you should to code, so please, return us the favour and don't say us how to play.

The same about what we are doing with our time. You feel our great father or something?
Ok lets keep it polite. I know that Kage is looking for solutions to problems and he does care about the game and the players. He has had some great ideas to improve the game, even though i disagree with this one. Furthermore, its never a good idea to insult or mock someone else's idea. This game is built on the ideas of (mostly) regular people. Disagree if you will, but insulting and/or mocking is counterproductive.
sexy red bearded GM
User avatar
Okurwieniec !!!
Peon
Peon
Posts: 20
Joined: 08 Mar 2011, 17:03
Location: Alps

Re: Monster Points

Post by Okurwieniec !!! » 10 Mar 2011, 17:07

OK I will keep that in mind, and adjust my style.
You Don't Know The Power Of The Dark Side
User avatar
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1530
Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 03:10
Location: Internet

Re: Monster Points

Post by Chicka-Maria » 10 Mar 2011, 17:51

i have to agree with big crunch, kage is being polite about the situation the least we can do is return the kindness.

Regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
http://themanaempire.webs.com/ - The Mana Empire Guild Website
Alexander Pope wrote:No one should be ashamed to admit they are wrong, which is but saying, in other words, that they are wiser today than they were yesterday.
User avatar
natsuki3
Novice
Novice
Posts: 222
Joined: 04 Jul 2010, 18:32
Location: /bin/manaplus

Re: Monster Points

Post by natsuki3 » 12 Mar 2011, 11:01

as I said it is only and idea :)
Its blue like the sea.
Post Reply