Some Monsters I Made

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Some Monsters I Made

Post by enchilado »

Earth Goblin:
Ice Maggot:
Woodland Fluffy:
Rose:
Sloth:
Silkworm of Doom:
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Some Monsters I Made

Post by lien »

As already said we don't need pure recolors, but I won't oppose to use current monsters as a base (i.e. mushroom -> spiky mushroom).
Novice
Novice

Post by natsuki3 »

wow the most cool is the green yeti :D it looks better than the ice yeti :P
Its blue like the sea.
Alige
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Alige »

I wonder if natsuki was serious...
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Post by baseballboy »

I think the silkworm of doom should be added just for fun lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

lien wrote:
As already said we don't need pure recolors, but I won't oppose to use current monsters as a base (i.e. mushroom -> spiky mushroom).
Yes, that's the point of this thread. Wombat is adding many pure recolours and I was trying to show how awful it is.
lien
Warrior
Warrior

Post by lien »

poison_ivy wrote:
lien wrote:
Yes, that's the point of this thread. Wombat is adding many pure recolours and I was trying to show how awful it is.
So you posted that to show to the community how recoloring can be awful...
interesting.
between, you recolor some monsters that were already dyable (directly from xml).
pateame

Post by pateame »

To avoid awful products I think we need a colaborative work between both parts (Coders/Artists) and documentation
enough as to provide some guideliness. A coder could find easy to apply dyable features directly from .xml,
but not necesary an artist, also artists can understand better how color palletes work, but not necessary a coder.
Hopefully, some tools as The Mana World Workshop by jaxad0127 let new developers/artist to understand lots of game features just watching how it works.
.. But some people just unleash the power of MS-Paint: for example
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

pateame wrote:To avoid awful products I think we need a colaborative work between both parts (Coders/Artists) and documentation
enough as to provide some guideliness. A coder could find easy to apply dyable features directly from .xml,
but not necesary an artist, also artists can understand better how color palletes work, but not necessary a coder.
Hopefully, some tools as The Mana World Workshop by jaxad0127 let new developers/artist to understand lots of game features just watching how it works.
.. But some people just unleash the power of MS-Paint: for example
well said :) ....dyeing a monster is not a bad think if done right... we have lots of sprites put in the game used the best way for the time .....theres lots of random thinking that gos in to how a mob makes it in game. like" how can we use the sprite at hand" or "what mobs can i put on this map"......i feel if at the start of something ,come up with the who ,what,and why before most of the hard work is done.. :wink:

------skipy
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

pateame wrote: .. But some people just unleash the power of MS-Paint: for example
Nothing wrong with MS paint (if it had alpha channels it would be all a pixel artist needs)

Anyways, recoloring and resizing are fine as they allow for a ton of work(or at least placeholders) to be created with little effort . However you must still use color theory when recoloring/dyeing and you need to heavily rework the sprite if your scaling it up.
examples.png
examples.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 3507 times
Pixel Battalion
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Len wrote:
pateame wrote: .. But some people just unleash the power of MS-Paint: for example
Nothing wrong with MS paint (if it had alpha channels it would be all a pixel artist needs)

Anyways, recoloring and resizing are fine as they allow for a ton of work(or at least placeholders) to be created with little effort . However you must still use color theory when recoloring/dyeing and you need to heavily rework the sprite if your scaling it up.
examples.png
I have suggested in the past that we make our base art large, then scale it down. This will allow us to do things in the future like server controlled monster size. For example a boss that grows insize the longer it takes for you to kill him. How I would do this is start with a large base spirit and have the server to tell the client to scale it down, so when it grows in size (as the silk worm does), the quality gets better not worst.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Pixel art doesn't remain pixel art if it's scaled, though, whether up or down.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

poison_ivy wrote:Pixel art doesn't remain pixel art if it's scaled, though, whether up or down.
I'm somewhat sure its possible as MS paint doesn't burr or add colors when scaling down (unlike PS and Gimp).
Pixel Battalion
enchilado
Knight
Knight

Post by enchilado »

Never used PS, but I'd imagine it has the option - the GIMP does - to scale without blending colours. But a lot of the time it still messes up the art.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Len wrote:
poison_ivy wrote:Pixel art doesn't remain pixel art if it's scaled, though, whether up or down.
I'm somewhat sure its possible as MS paint doesn't burr or add colors when scaling down (unlike PS and Gimp).
Im sure gimp has the ability to change how it scales images, or addon which will do it differently, no idea about PS.

In truth, TMW is moving away from true pixel art, which IMO is a good thing. The new stuff being made looks better and (supposedly) easy to make
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P