cave and other additions (Yosuhara)

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 19 Oct 2007, 09:10

Crush wrote:The skull looks really nice. It shows that you finally developed a feeling for perspective. Did you pixel it from memory, freehand from a reference or did you trace it from a reference?

But its hue shading looks odd. As if it would be illuminated by a very faint light source in an otherwise dark room and not by the burning midday sun of the tonnori desert. You should use the color palette of the other skull in the desert tileset.
Pixelated from memory, no reference. You're suggesting stronger highlights and darker shadows?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » 19 Oct 2007, 11:11

As I said - try using the palette of the existing skull in the desert tileset. That way it will also fit in a lot better.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 21 Nov 2007, 18:57

sorry for lack of updates...school keeps me busy quite a lot these days...
continuing my efforts to brake up the monotonous cave environment, led to this: Image

opinions?
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » 21 Nov 2007, 20:08

The light direction is weird. But otherwise it looks quite good.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 21 Nov 2007, 21:53

Crush wrote:The light direction is weird. But otherwise it looks quite good.
could it be added to the cave tileset? I think we don't have anything better to use right now... it could really help to "spice up" caves at least...
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: 13 Apr 2004, 20:11
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » 21 Nov 2007, 23:28

I'm ok with it
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » 23 Nov 2007, 21:38

This is the spirit, tenaciousness and effort we should see more often.

Despite that, going to try to whip you into finishing the pieces right down to the last few pesky pixels, as always.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 12 Dec 2007, 20:09

yosuhara wrote:could it be added to the cave tileset? I think we don't have anything better to use right now... it could really help to "spice up" caves at least...
I've just added them to the cave tileset, after flipping them for the correct light direction:
cave.png
cave_x2.png

The latest bat cave is using one instance of each tile now. :)
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » 12 Dec 2007, 20:25

I fixed the blurred edges.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 12 Dec 2007, 20:32

Bjørn wrote:
yosuhara wrote:could it be added to the cave tileset? I think we don't have anything better to use right now... it could really help to "spice up" caves at least...
I've just added them to the cave tileset, after flipping them for the correct light direction:
cave.png
cave_x2.png

The latest bat cave is using one instance of each tile now. :)
thx, i promise to get back to work as soon as i have some spare time...
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 13 Dec 2007, 11:30

Crush wrote:I fixed the blurred edges.
I'm not really convinced that this is an improvement. The blurred edges would make them fit better into the environment in my opinion. Of course, what we really need is proper anti-aliasing, but I couldn't be bothered to do that.

yusohara, for next time the preferred way of contributing tiles like this is without their background. It is helpful to develop them in a separate layer from the ground tile, so that the ground is easily left out later.
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 13 Dec 2007, 13:49

Bjørn wrote:
Crush wrote:I fixed the blurred edges.
I'm not really convinced that this is an improvement. The blurred edges would make them fit better into the environment in my opinion. Of course, what we really need is proper anti-aliasing, but I couldn't be bothered to do that.

yusohara, for next time the preferred way of contributing tiles like this is without their background. It is helpful to develop them in a separate layer from the ground tile, so that the ground is easily left out later.
i know, picture i posted was just a test...
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
yosuhara
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 583
Joined: 16 Mar 2006, 22:19
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Post by yosuhara » 15 Jan 2008, 23:27

Crypt (for the graveyard), I'm working on right now:

Image

Another possible version:

Image
Any comments and suggestions?

(I'm thinking of it as an possible entrance to the graveyard underground, filled with tombs and bones)

edit: also here are ready-to-use tombstones...
Image
Image
Image
Image
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Post by Len » 15 Jan 2008, 23:40

yosuhara wrote:Crypt (for the graveyard), I'm working on right now:

Image

Another possible version:

Image
Any comments and suggestions?

(I'm thinking of it as an possible entrance to the graveyard underground, filled with tombs and bones)


Its a little to gray and textureless for my taste
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » 15 Jan 2008, 23:59

How about mixing a bit of blue into your gray? Would look more interesting.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Post Reply