Tonori: modification suggestion

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Nard
Knight
Knight

Tonori: modification suggestion

Post by Nard »

I noticed inconsistency of the actual Tulimshar maps And the World Geography Concepts that were adopted before.
I was not the first since Rygan and Jaxad already commented the Tonori wiki discussion page:
Jaxad0127 wrote:This map is fine. The current in game world is flawed.
I suggest to replace the actual Tonori map:
by this one:
ImageImage
which fits both north and south connections, keeps the original ideas and would beconsistent with actual world with light modifications.

There is still a scale problem when compared to Argaes (just NW of Tulim) :/
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Tonori: modification suggestion

Post by o11c »

Lots of information on the wiki is wrong - plans for the whole new world, the new server, etc. Check the date on *everything*,
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

I checked. They are incosistencies, but globally the geographic concepts seem to be kept and a good and interesting basis for future development. btw I do like Modanung's ideas about Tulimshar. If only they had been followed... There is also no reasons for old ideas to be bad ones. They can be a nice source of ideas to make maps: it is better to have a global Idea of the world you build before doing maps than to force the whole thing to enter the details of several developers imagination.
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

Nard wrote:There is also no reasons for old ideas to be bad ones.
True, but it's better if the wiki represents the present, not the future. Because the future can change.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

The future is mostly a consequence of the past :)
Wiki can also be a repository to store good ideas, reflexions, that cannot be actually developed, concepts... that may or may not be useful in the future. Let it decide!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

In the past we used the wiki for both documentation and concepts.

That's why we have the templates {{status_red}} (idea), {{status_yellow}} (in development) and {{status_green}} (documentation of an existing feature).

Everyone who made the world map concepts isn't active anymore, so feel free to steamroll anything which doesn't suit you. Although I still believe that there are some nice ideas on the wiki which are worth looking at.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tux9th
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tux9th »

I think it's great!
Replace the image with this one. it's actually more accurate.

good work Nard :)!
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Crush wrote:In the past we used the wiki for both documentation and concepts.

That's why we have the templates {{status_red}} (idea), {{status_yellow}} (in development) and {{status_green}} (documentation of an existing feature).

Everyone who made the world map concepts isn't active anymore, so feel free to steamroll anything which doesn't suit you. Although I still believe that there are some nice ideas on the wiki which are worth looking at.
I will update a bit these templates and make them more accessible to new contributors, I plan to remove the "approved by" and similar templateand categories as both forum and trello fit far better to that need than the wiki. And YES thre are pretty nice ideas in older pages. Thanks to mana gods they are on wiki, I wished some forum contribs I sometimes discover were written to it.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

That stuff was not so much for athena.
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

John P wrote:That stuff was not so much for athena.
Maybe but the developers kept part of these concepts and the actual content reflect it more than somewhat. If I read correctly the goals of the TMW project, they were to develop a (mmorp) game. A game is an engine and a content. Content and client side have been greatly improved...
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

As I am planning an expansion to Tulmishar, I'd like to resurrect this thread and settle it as I'm going to be in there anyways and would not like to add content to have to move it later. I'm going to agree with Nard on map placement, but would suggest to move Tulmishar up to cover the bay and Peninsula.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I was thinking like this. That way Yubaba has room for his content. We still have beaches and cliffs. I'd imagine we could take even more green off the Tonori map all together. As it's becoming barren right?
Attachments
Worldmap_nogrid.jpg
Worldmap_nogrid.jpg (57.66 KiB) Viewed 4886 times
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

skyggen, the suggestion I made was to have a better fit between the actual content and the existing concepts that I found on the wiki; because I found them rather nice. Also, even a virtual world or story needs to have some logic to be believable. Geography is an element of this logic. One of the reasons that made Tolkien an outstanding writer is the overall consistency of his stories, which included geography. But Crush is also right, These maps are concepts, and as you can see on the images, actual geography doesnot fit exactly the change I proposed. On the actual Mini map you can see that the bay and west peninsula are considerably smaller than the ones on the concept one though there is possible extension in Northwestern Tulimshar (where new players start).

If you have Ideas to develop Tonori maps, I'll be glad to contribute. When I began to think about it, I had some assassin plans, but V0id had the same and located them elsewhere, also tux9th retired from developer team :?

Among the Ideas I had about the areas:
  • There is a long shear/glide fault directed NNE-SSW which can explain the great Earthquake, the south canyon, and the eastern volcanic areas (West US residents will understand me very well).
  • Use Lava slimes from defunct UFB server :( :cry:
  • tough purple slimes that poison you on touch and drop strange purple gemstones.
  • Tulimshar undergrounds. Inac says: "This cities water system is amazing. It was built centuries ago after the cataclysm that turned Tonori into this desert. They say that not much maintainence is needed, even though it's so old. They also say monsters have moved into the underground tunnels that bring and distribute water."
  • Move and Improve well quest to Tulimshar
  • Hetchel NPC
  • Outline Gispaa
Yubaba planned her development on Argaes (southwestern desert: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Argaes ), which needs a huge update too, if we want to keep the same scale for all continents which seems preferable in my opinion. Magic cannot explain all :P
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

The content I'm looking at is explaining the great quake. I look at map and we nee a bigger desert and I agree about a giant rift.

I guess it's worth posting a preliminary summary.

New maps I want out the door cause they just need somone to tile them, IMO.

The unused Castle Tiles:
Tulmishar has a port and is on a beach, yet no lighthouse...
Everyone knows the Palace for the Wizards is to the East of central tulmishar
The Noble Quarter being above that and the lighthouse beach west of the noble quarter.
Central Tul connects to Palace and Noble.
South of palace map I was thinking Dig Site for Ruins of Tulmishar. It would take up the prefect amount of space to fill the void between desert storm,snake caves and new palace map.

on the backside of the mountain snake caves the road SW leads to foot mountains to GIspaa.
*Grin* I already have UFB content gits and was planning on porting the lava slimes.
Other mobs were Caboo (Camels), Sandstone Warriors, Sand Pirates, and House Gaurds (writing stealth quest)

Quests:
One Pirates Treasure is another Pirates Junk (crates act like easter eggs, buy a map off george and go hunting!)
The Dread Pirate Marley (New Stealth Quest)
The Great Quake, 3 parts: (too much for even one post)
Part I. Remember Us
Part II. Echoes of the Past
Part III : The Inner Light

Further explanation here on new content.
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 13&t=17226

I'd be interested in helping get all of Tulmishar to market. So much low hanging fruit is just waiting to be picked. I saw the Egyptian tiles (pyramids, scrabs, etc.) and often though Tonori needed undead, bam Mummies.

I'd also be interested in working out more a back story for Tulmishar and Gispaa.
The way Jenalya and I figure it: The Council of Wizards and The Mages School tend to conflict on goals reached. Whether or not there is a King, he's always going to be a puppet unless he's an Arch-Mage or something.
Any whoo, I'd be down for helping us pull all this together. Nard: Send me a PM about details.
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

RFC: On Landscape changes.
Tempus and Tonori are both part of the Keshlam Empire. Based on scale of Argeas, I think this map is a tad more reasonable. Although Argeas isn't to scale on this map.
Changed Nerfi to Abel to match backstory content.
023-1: Beach Cliffs
068-1: Noble Area
069-1: Wizards Council
070-1: Sandstorm II
071-1: Sandstorm III
043-1: Tulimshar Mine Extension
072-1: Foot of Gispean Mountains
073-1: Gispaa
http://i.imgur.com/TCocbWE.jpg