Mages :P

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
cookie monster
Novice
Novice

Mages :P

Post by cookie monster »

my screenshots are to big to post this, so could anybody please tell me if there is a way to get around it.

so heres what happened: i was at gy with a nice crowd(about 5-7 people) and 1 of them was a mage. I, being a archer and very vital, got hit by a zombie and lost about 3/4 of my health and after casting the trowing up face to show that i want to be healed the mage just said "no"
turns out that i was disrespectful to him be letting him get hit. he first tried to charge me 1k Gp for each heal and thensaid that i was still disrespecting him and said that he could kill me at any moment. i was quite interested as to how he was going to do this, so i said ok, go ahead. he want and #itenplzed a few skulls and after dying just to get me killed i died (i was low health anyways). turns out that in his understanding, there is no point of healing archers because they are way to OP and only tanks and mages need healing.
So i ask you, is this correct(kinda makes sence in my eyes, but it is a bit annoing), and is this person the only mage that does that?
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Mages :P

Post by o11c »

As an archer, I make sure I always have enough VIT + potions to heal from any nonfatal amount of damage (as a low level archer, nearly all damage is fatal). I use cheap/slow ones, though, since often there is a mage who will heal me even though it's not necessary.

And it's not your job to babysit the mages. As an archer, we take care of ourselves. Meat shields are useful, but not necessary. But for the mages, meat shields *are* necessary, but we're not them.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

o11c wrote:As an archer, I make sure I always have enough VIT + potions to heal from any nonfatal amount of damage (as a low level archer, nearly all damage is fatal). I use cheap/slow ones, though, since often there is a mage who will heal me even though it's not necessary.

And it's not your job to babysit the mages. As an archer, we take care of ourselves. Meat shields are useful, but not necessary. But for the mages, meat shields *are* necessary, but we're not them.
A good player should be able to play without assistance. I have characters that are each class, and are maxed out (minus the newest gear) to do the most damage possible for the class. My archers have 1 vit until later, same with my mages. My warriors stay on a downward sliding scale of vit until they get to about 30 at lvl 90ish. At that point they slowly begin to increase their vit up to 40ish. My builds are, granted, on the bleeding edge of survivable. All of them are speed based, minus the mage who's focus is magic of course.
sexy red bearded GM
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

I'm usually happy to help others, until they start demanding things from me. Then I give them disappointment instead.
I consider this useful experience for when they explore the real world. :)
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Maybe the Mage was having a bad day, Mages also dont heal people if they "demand" it constantly or to players who are rude to them. Mages or any class for that matter are not babysitters.

Its your job to always be prepared to heal yourself. It's why people like playing in groups, usually in groups they help each other out. Or the odd Mage in the gy heals you for xp or to help out of kindness. Even if they are there to heal you, it's still good to be prepared though :P just Incase.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

i never expect to be healed and always try to be prepared. ive played all 3 classes with my main and always carry a healthy amount of healing items. its always nice to be healed but you shouldnt expect it or count on it. and if you play this way youll most likely be healed more as the mages are usually happy to heal that character who isnt constantly asking for heals but obviously taking hits. players are always more apt to help players who show they can help themselves.
bell chick
Novice
Novice

Post by bell chick »

i also think it's viewed as selfish by some that some archers dont put anything in vit so they can have that super high damage and then expect the mages to keep them alive (note not my view but i think some see it this way)
Kazenawa
Novice
Novice

Post by Kazenawa »

To cookie monster :
As an archer, you're certainly not the most liked people at all. I know it because i nearly always play as archer, since that's my favorite class to play.
You'll always find people that will insult you (in all classes as well, but anyway in life too). You've probably noticed that the best is to not respond and complain no ?
Also, show them that you don't need any heal. It might take time for sure, especially if you're not used to play as an archer.

Do your way yourself, take with you the persons that deserve it, but let the others back without ever letting them know, or you will never advance. :wink:
bell chick wrote:i also think it's viewed as selfish by some that some archers dont put anything in vit so they can have that super high damage and then expect the mages to keep them alive (note not my view but i think some see it this way)
Anyway at a not so high level, you're able to max agi and dex, and your "super high damage" can't really be higher... Then i think most archers choose to put points in vit or luk. For those who choose vit, they need to be healed because they're hit, for those who choose luk, they even don't need to be healed at all because they're nearly never hit...
Also, for what i've seen since i play this game, only young archers expect to be healed and kept alive by mages or healing archers, or really few of "old archers".
Moreover, i noticed that i recently spend my time healing "young warriors". The most funny on that is that those warriors at level around 50 already have a complete warlord set, act like noobs (and they might have forgotten what's a noob), spend their time being hurt and killed, asking for heals, but get nearly none exp... If there aren't some problem on it... On these points, i wonder where is selfish, seriously...

However, i completely agree on the point that healing a character who's constantly begging for it is boring. Not that i dislike healing, but rather that it tends to drain your mana really quickly (that's my personal opinion).

A last point that I write specifically for you bell chick, but please don't take it bad (that's not my aim at all) : Could you please add at least some punctuation in you sentences or paragraphs ? I don't know if i'm the only one that think it, but your posts are a real pain to read, and in my opinion they loose some credibility. Please don't take it as an attack, but rather as an advice ok ? Thanks in advance :)
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

Playing primarily as a mage in-game, this post makes me laugh. Archers can be the scourge of TMW, they often mob steal everyone at lower levels (perfectly legal to do of course) and then in high level monster areas, it does seem that they demand to be healed and often complain that mages "get all the drops". I've had it happen many times where I ran out of mana in the GY, then the people I was healing the past 5-10 minutes go ballistic on you for "refusing" to heal them and they die.

In all honesty, I like helping other players and will heal as many people as I can. Not to mention the experience you get.

However, I also have archer alts, and any savvy player will have the ability to heal thyself.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I would like to point out, that mages often burn their mana on me when I still have 75% HP.
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

o11c wrote:I would like to point out, that mages often burn their mana on me when I still have 75% HP.
Generally speaking, high level mages will heal you as soon as you take one hit. We're used to seeing you archers go down after two zombie bites.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

I routinely see players attempt to heal me when I'm within 10 HP of full. At that point...why even waste your time?

Would anyone object if healing a target above 98% health resulted in no effect, and no expenditure of resources?
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Post by LordDune »

I routinely see players attempt to heal me when I'm within 10 HP of full. At that point...why even waste your time?
People cannot see your health bar. They heal you because they are healers. It's akin to you using ingrav to kill a zombie with "only" 100 HP left.
Would anyone object if healing a target above 98% health resulted in no effect, and no expenditure of resources?
Mages who are in training would object.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

radiant wrote:Would anyone object if healing a target above 98% health resulted in no effect, and no expenditure of resources?
I ... hadn't actually thought of automating that. It's a good idea, and it could be easily implemented.

(add to the complicated REQUIRES clause in magic.conf. Stupid Mouboo ...).

Code: Select all

&& (hp(pc(target)) < max_hp(pc(target)) * 9 / 10) 
A more complex formula could be used, based on vit(pc(target)) or level(pc(target)), or even a plain additive factor.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

Of course the question is, why would you want to stop healing, even at 98%+? How would it better the gameplay?
sexy red bearded GM