War on scammers!!!

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Piateluca
Novice
Novice

War on scammers!!!

Post by Piateluca »

I'm really tired of these imbeciles abusing the trust of other people, let's make their life a little harder :3

If you see one of these noobs in Terra Cave, whisper AuntWig or TheTiendaStore and they'll meet my Banshee Bow :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

*hope I'm in the correct forum*
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: War on scammers!!!

Post by Crush »

The best way to hurt the scammers is to educate people on how to avoid being scammed.

Another good way to counter scammers: When one tries to scam you, troll them. Pretend to go along with them, but play dumb. When they want items from you, pretend to not know how to trade or drop items. Ask them to explain it to you in detail, then in more detail, and then in even more detail. Pretend to not understand their language well, so they have to explain it in real simple and really verbose terms.

When they ask you for usernames and passwords, feed them completely wrong information. When they complain that it doesn't work, claim they must have entered it wrong.

Most important: make them waste as much time as possible and make sure they never know if you are just screwing with them or if you are really that stupid.

This is going to frustrate the hell out of them in the long run.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

I have a few thoughts involving autobanning any IP that steps into a honeypot, but not worth THAT much effort to protect people from their own stupidity.

If their being obnoxious in public, just @wgm
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

Crush personally shot down the honeypot idea before. My current iteration of that plan involves allowing each account to set a "fake password" field, and the honeypot alarm would trip when someone tries to log in with an incorrect password that matches the respective account's fakepass. This solves the issue of "who would know how to set up the tripwires?", assuming the character DB has sufficient room and structure to accommodate an extra field.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

If all players could *create* a honeypot, the scammers wouldn't be able to know ...
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Ichimaru Leon
Peon
Peon

Post by Ichimaru Leon »

i agree with crush..
troll them... hahahaha...
i was troll 1 scammer.. make them frustate... LOL
not only make me like stupid, but also put him on very dumb talking... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF]
Novice
Novice

Post by Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] »

Piateluca wrote:I'm really tired of those imbeciles abusing the trust of other people [...]
I don't really know which way the Scamming Principle really started during the Ancient Ages, but ...
... this assumption about Stupidity and Trust can be taken in a totally reversed point of view :shock:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - [Albert Einstein]
ImageImage
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Lt. KLAG [24th.KDF] wrote: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" - [Albert Einstein]
When you know a bit Einsteins opinions writings, the stupids were for sure those who abused of other's trust. It is though less than sure that Einstein said that, except, maybe, in very specific context:
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/04 ... /#more-173
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Ein ... .281979.29
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein#Albert_Einstein:_The_Human_Side_.281979.29 wrote:They may also be variants of an even older saying; for example, the 1880 book "Des vers" by Guy de Maupassant includes on p. 9 a quote from a letter by Gustave Flaubert where Flaubert writes "Cependant, qui sait? La terre a des limites, mais la bêtise humaine est infinie!" which translates to "But who knows? The earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is infinite!"
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.