moving and getting a new computer

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Sharona
Peon
Peon

moving and getting a new computer

Post by Sharona »

Due to the fact my Currant computer i own is a windows xp 2002-04 edition, My wireless does not work on it, and neither does my usb outlets either for some odd reason, this computer is a pass me down pretty much been falling apart via terms of crashing huge memory database issues and so on....

Anyway I've decided to get a new computer once i move so this means ill probably wont be on for awhile because i barely save up enough as it is due to lame job and expensive rent(but a better place at the least)... only problem is that this building only allows wireless access therefor im pretty much screwed atm :<...until i get a brand new computer e-e and ive been saving 20 dollars a week the computer im going for is at least 700 dollars well (general target of saving up before i do any final decision on what to buy..

But i need help finding the right computer for me. I'm Canadian so i don't have quite allot of options as to Americans and everyone else i know on here has,

I need a desktop/ or hopefully a laptop in which i can play games such as Halo 4 on, the mana world, or even imvu..

i use computers an average of 10 hours a day on my non work days and 6 hours a day on my work days, i want to stick with the windows brand because i feel secure with it and im use to relying on it, i need it to have lots of memory too.

What type of computer would you guys recommend? would it work well with the mana world and will it fit to my needs?

I Need to know ASAP im moving out in April

from April till whenever i get the computer, i'll be currently only using skype via my ipod touch to keep in touch with friends when at wireless hotspot cafe's whenever i can.
LordDune
Peon
Peon

Re: moving and getting a new computer

Post by LordDune »

Sharona,

Is the wifi hub (the box itself) in your apartment? If so, there are plugs for hardwiring it to your computer via the LAN connections in the back of the box. Sounds like your system probably has compatibility issues with the USB hubs rather than them not working. Not too hard to replace, especially if you have extra slots and don't mind connecting in the back.

Your PC could probably be easily stretched to last another 5 years if you install a Linux OS (Operating System) on it. Requires much less RAM and processor power than Windows. Ubuntu is a fairly easy system to learn. Go to their website and create a boot disk to see if you like it (you put it in the CD drive, reboot your PC, and it will boot up with Linux as the temporary OS to see if you like it).

There is an outside chance the USB (Universal Serial Bus) was shut off by the computer itself to save power, then can not reconfigure itself too. There could also be compatibility issues (but you usually get a message telling you so), and the older USB's just run slower than newer ones. You can try this, it might get them working again>

Click Start , and right-click My Computer .
Click Properties , then click Hardware .
Click Device Manager .
Double-click Universal Serial Bus Controllers .
Right-click USB Root Hub , and then click Properties .
Click Power Management .
Unselect Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power .
Repeat Steps 5 through 7 for each USB Root Hub.
Click OK , and close Device Manager .

700 dollars will get you a crazy good desktop computer. Don't let them sell you one with old style hard drives, insist on one with the new flash drives, they almost never go bad (no moving parts). You could actually build your own system and install your own OS (or your old OS), but migrating to Windows 8 if you insist on that Operating System would be a must since XP limits you to 4 GB of ram on an X86 chipset.

I could lead you to a few other websites if you need more help or are interested, just reply here or send me a message direct.