Nard says goodbye

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: Nard says goodbye

Post by o11c »

Johanne Laliberté wrote: YES TO SUPPORT AND PROTECT ALL ARTIST I SEND THIS POST AND SUPPORT NARD

Johanne
Nard is currently under moderation for breaking the rules of this forum. Please do not attempt to turn this forum into anarchy. Anarchy supports no one.

We understand that some people are upset. We welcome all honest discussion. But seriously, DO NOT BREAK THE RULES.

If you haven't been paying attention, most of us *do* support CC-BY-SA as a license for art ... that is not what Nard is under moderation for.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Big Crunch
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Big Crunch »

lets reiterate. nard broke the rules. directly disobeyed the moderator. this has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting artists. this has nothing to do with lisencing, it has to do with a blatant disregard for authority.
sexy red bearded GM
Freeyorp101
Archivist Prime
Archivist Prime

Post by Freeyorp101 »

What's tragic about this is that, as far as I can tell, everyone involved does want to get rid of the GPL requirements for art.

TMW just can't do it yet. When we get permission to use existing work under CC-BY-SA, which people are being quite active in seeking, it'll be free to drop the GPL requirements for art.

I wish people would learn to communicate better. You're all as bad as I am. :P

---Freeyorp
(09:58:17) < tux9th> Freeyorp: your sig on the forums is kind of outdated
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

is it communicate better or is it show respect!

life lesson i learned 3 decades ago (and i think its frosts signature), you will never get respect if you cant give it first...

my 2 cents
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Nard
Knight
Knight

Post by Nard »

Freeyorp101 wrote:What's tragic about this is that, as far as I can tell, everyone involved does want to get rid of the GPL requirements for art.

TMW just can't do it yet. When we get permission to use existing work under CC-BY-SA, which people are being quite active in seeking, it'll be free to drop the GPL requirements for art.

I wish people would learn to communicate better. You're all as bad as I am. :P

---Freeyorp
I never said that. I said GPL applies to software and art is not software. It is better for art that it is protected by CC BY SA because it applies and is compatible with GPL spirit. TMW "package" is a collection of software and art. nothing prevents TMW to distribute a collection of files with mixed licences. The only problems can come from Tilesets and scripts (texts+soft) which can stay GPL the time to find a good solution. dual licensing is impossible because BY condition makes it GPL incomplatible. (see Berkeley license issue). but author can choose to allow the choice of one or both of them. The issue started with that but is noton this specific point.
the issue is caused by a behaviour of an administrator and the main moderator of this forum. the second took decisions and had a behaviour that are unfair in my opinion. He also establishes rules specufic rules for me. (summary)
"The language of everyday life is clogged with sentiment, and the science of human nature has not advanced so far that we can describe individual sentiment in a clear way." Lancelot Hogben, Mathematics for the Million.
“There are two motives for reading a book; one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.” Bertrand Russell, Conquest of Happiness.
"If you optimize everything, you will always be unhappy." Donald Knuth.
Whistler
Peon
Peon

Post by Whistler »

crush wrote:
""There is no specific, unpublished rule for you. I expect everyone to follow moderative instructions after I published them."

crush wrote:
" I am sorry, but I don't agree with you in this case. I asked as a forum moderator to stop pondering this topic. You ignored this. When the instructions I make as a moderator are ignored, I must act administratively. I had no other choice. "

Nard posted an in topic reply. but it was removed. YI said roughly: gnu recommend other licensing for free artand uses CC for some of it's documents

If TMWC 's decision is already taken, then close the topic, as long as it is open we can discuss about it and Nard can say that GPL is nonsense regarding art. Or is only one opinion allowed ?

crush wrote:
" I will put you off the moderation queue when you promise that you will from now on respect my moderation instructions."

Nard understands that as he have special instructions for you, promise you follow them.
where is it written you have to promise something to a specific person?

crush wrote:
"Then this discussion is over. I asked the TMW Committee to decide with an internal poll if I will stay moderator or Nard will be banned."

Now he's not even able to defend himself in front of community.

Whistler.

Some talk about respect ... for your old admin ? for Nard's work ?
respect the rules ? you must be joking, you should talk about honor,
social graces and maybe you will gain some respect.
Since your "move" and the resurrection of "developer" "adviser" that
were *away* for years and that all a sudden come back like nothing
has change during their holidays, the tone of this forum is changed.
Condescending *people* trying desperately to look like *experts*.

Nard is a recognized expert in stats look how you treat him,
belittling his points to finally show some irc meaning less chat with
your friends.

So to make it clear, it's hard to have an "equal say" when you decide, as
Nard did, not to use, the below the belt classics techniques of
misinformation you use.
http://themanaworld.net/ a well known host for real players.