[Pass] Melkior for GM

A forum for the community to suggest new Game Masters. PLEASE READ THE RULES.
Forum rules
1. Each member of the community can make a topic (poll) suggesting another person for a GM. You can't make a poll for yourself.
2. One topic per person, any duplicates will be removed and votes will be lost.
3. Each poll has to be done according to the schema (yes has to be first option and no the second):
"Do you agree for person X to become a GM?"
"Yes."
"No."
You are supposed to allow only one option per user and allow revoting.
You are supposed to pick "run for 0 days".
4. A person suggested has to collect at least 45 votes (or more) for yes, with minimum 75% for yes and maximum 25% for no (3:1 ratio).
5. A person suggested may request closing of the topic.
6. Only posts containing valid pros and cons are allowed in the threads, discussions however are not allowed. For discussions about particular case use Player Talk forums.
7. If a person collects the required votes, assuming there are free positions and no objections are raised, they'll be granted "Junior GM" rights for a certain period.
8. After training and approval from the senior GMs, the team will formally grant full GM rights and team membership.
9. If many persons will gain required voices, voice count will matter.
10. The amount of GMs to pick in certain time line will be determined by the TMW Team (Admins, GMs and developers).
11. Persons rejected due lack of free positions will be put on hold till any position becomes available (according to vote count).
12. If more than a year passes, a new poll must be open to ensure the community is still fine with the nomination.
13. Usual GM choosing criteria and guidelines still apply, persons not meeting those criteria will be rejected and will have their thread closed.
14. Sockpuppeting will be detected and all accounts, including the master's one will be banned forever without warning. There is one vote per person, and a person means a human being not a forum account.
15. If this forum will turn into a flame war cave, people posting here will act unreasonably and will break the rules on massive scale, forum will be closed down. So use it wisely.
16. If you don't know a person suggested, it is better to find out who is s/he and what they do before voting, do not vote "no" just because you don't know someone.
17. State EXACT player name that clearly identify a person (in game or on forums - precise which one it is).
18. After a candidate receives required amount of votes, the poll is closed, a candidate reviewed by the TMW Committee and asked (or not - in case of valid objections) to become a GM.
19. You need to have at least 10 posts to participate in the polls.

Do you agree for Melkior to become a GM?

Yes
92%
No
8%

Total votes: 49
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Melkior for GM

Post by AnonDuck »

A pretty resounding yes here. Melkior has been around forever and has proved himself to be quite level-headed and trustworthy.

He's also technically inclined and familiar with the workings of TMW. This knowledge will allow him to spot bots that many others would not notice.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

MadCamel wrote:A pretty resounding yes here. Melkior has been around forever and has proved himself to be quite level-headed and trustworthy.

He's also technically inclined and familiar with the workings of TMW. This knowledge will allow him to spot bots that many others would not notice.
Like that tree bot in the middle of Hurnscald. :alt-7:

TMW Team member

SudoPlatypus
Novice
Novice

Post by SudoPlatypus »

Voted yes.

If successful, does Confused Tree become Game Master Tree?

The Mouboo was. The Mouboo is. The Mouboo ever shall be. Drop candies and rejoice.
Most leveled character: Qwerty Dragon is 99
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

.:WildX:. wrote:This is the list of active GMs. 5 out of 6 are in America, one is in Europe. Another european GM is exactly what we need.
yes a European GM is needed, but in the time frame the others are not on.

But like I said before, my vote can change.

good luck!

regards,
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Ok, Chicka-Maria, you aren't actually around in game as often as Melkior is. So how can you judge for yourself of when he is actually logged in? Like today, I am on in game and there is no GM around but however Melkior is logged in and sitting under the tree.

Sure he is around when there are other GMs on but the more important fact is that he is on when there aren't GMs around as well. It just means he is a player who is on the game often...so how is that a bad thing?
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Dyna wrote:Ok, Chicka-Maria, you aren't actually around in game as often as Melkior is. So how can you judge for yourself of when he is actually logged in? Like today, I am on in game and there is no GM around but however Melkior is logged in and sitting under the tree.

Sure he is around when there are other GMs on but the more important fact is that he is on when there aren't GMs around as well. It just means he is a player who is on the game often...so how is that a bad thing?
actually I am around but at night time my time when there is no GMs online except for maybe mistergrey sometimes. So I do believe I know what I am talking about.

I never said it was a bad thing lol but we in fact do need a GM covering time zones other GMs are not covering.

IMO: it would also be nice to see melkiors view of his poll as well. and Possibly get his answers on the GM questionnaire.

regards,
Yubaba
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I've logged in three times today at different hours of the day, I didn't see a single GM. Melkior was always there. The same thing happened yesterday, when I logged in once, and many other times in the past few weeks (I don't log in very often though). I'm in the same time zone as Melkior's.

TMW Team member

melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Chicka-Maria wrote: IMO: it would also be nice to see melkiors view of his poll as well. and Possibly get his answers on the GM questionnaire.
I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by seeing my view of the poll. I have already posted in this thread:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 33#p136633

I can easily post the answers to the questionnaire but I think it'd be far more useful for people who are unsure to just talk to me. I'm sure that would give them a better picture than some generic questionnaire that's gotten every imaginable answer up to this point.

As for the time I spend in the game... Yes, I'm sometimes on late for my timezone, which amounts to daytime in American timezones. But most of my active time is spent during CET daytime — morning, noon and afternoon. During that time, there are either no GMs, or just Silent Dawn is online, which is normal, since she's the only European GM. Since you are not usually online during that time, it easily explains why you might think I'm online only when other GMs are around.

And of course, if I was to become a GM, I'd make an additional effort to spend more time in the game when other GMs aren't around, as I'm sure most GMs try to.

I hope this alleviates most of your questions and concerns. And like I said, if you really insist, I can answer the questionnaire, but I don't think it'll provide more info than just taking a couple of minutes to talk to me.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

somehow i missed your post which changes a few things, though i still insist on the questionnaire to see where your priorities would lay.

You did say in the post you linked you would do it if someone would insist. I'm insisting to see your way of thinking when it comes to discipline. Of course It's not needed if you insist not to. But it would be nice to see.

regards,
Yubaba
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Chicka-Maria wrote:You did say in the post you linked you would do it if someone would insist. I'm insisting to see your way of thinking when it comes to discipline.
Very well. I resisted posting this because I felt four pages of answers, including some by current or past GMs have devalued this questionnaire.
1. What is the best way to help a new player who just started playing the game in your opinion (when you are not a game master but just a normal player)?
I have always felt the best way to help new players is information. A long time ago, information was scarce and new players needed a lot of help, or protection to reach certain areas. Things have changed in the past few years, though. The wiki is well-maintained and the starting area provides new players with an actual crash course of the game.

Handing out items to newbies isn't as helpful as it used to be. Items are much easier to get these days, and it's important for new players to feel like they've accomplished something by getting them by themselves — it's what makes them stick around.

So, what I do these days is answer their questions, point them to the wiki in case I don't know the answer to something off the top of my head, and offer to give them a tour.
2. When you would have the ability to spawn items using a GM command, who would get what from you?
No one, including myself. I don't think this answer needs more clarification.
3. You are a GM, get online and immediately receive reports about these behaviors by different players about different players. Please order them by your priority in dealing with them:
-advertisement for other servers
-botting
-insults
-not speaking english in public
-scamming
-spamming
The first thing I'd do is check if there was another GM around so we can split these between us and deal with everything more quickly. If that turns out not to be the case, then this is the order in which I'd proceed:
-scamming
-botting
-insults
-not speaking English in public
-spamming
-advertisement for other servers (if it's being spammed or players are getting unwanted whispers)

I'd like to explain my answer. A quick glance around the Court House shows that botting is not as common as it used to be. Botters rarely partake in the activity only once, and they eventually get caught. While I hate to see botting as much as the next player (this doesn't include useful bots like Guild, ManaMarket and AuctionBot and useless but hopefully fun bots like the Confused Tree), I don't consider it an immediate threat to any other player — that lowers the priority of looking into that for me. GMs are around to make the gaming experience pleasant for players and scamming is a direct attack against another player, one where the victim actually loses something. This is why this would be my priority in such a situation, not to mention that scamming is something you'd need to deal with quickly if you want to get to the bottom of things.

The server does a pretty good job of dealing with spammers, and players can ignore people who are insulting them — that doesn't meant I wouldn't act in those situations, just that I have certain priorities. As for the English in public rule, for a start, it would be easy to issue a global announcement to remind players about that rule while dealing with other problems.
4. A player disagrees with your decisions and starts to insult you in public. How would you react?
I'd react in the same way I'd react if the player was insulting another player. I'd be polite about it, warn him, eventually kick him if warnings don't help, and if that doesn't help, ban him for a short time (1 or 2 days) so he can cool down. Before that ban, I would direct him to a higher authority if he really feels I was wrong and thinks he has a case. If another GM or admin was online, I might decide to call him in to mediate, if I thought that was necessary.

A lot of these questions are rather generic, and for every of these situations, there are different scenarios how things could play out, and that could easily affect my priorities.

I don't believe there's a template that acts as an ultimate answer to the priorities question. Each player will consider the problem she or he encounters as the most important one. So, question number 3 isn't just about dealing with those problems, but it's also about reassuring the players reporting them.

Like I said, the context of the reported issue would strongly affect my priorities (i.e. While someone repeatedly asking a player "What's your password?" might be considered a scammer, even if only just, and I ranked scamming first on the list, in that scenario, I'd be all over the potential bot first. :alt-3:).

I know, I know... a wall of text. I'm sorry. But I'm taking this rather seriously and if I'm already answering the questionnaire, I wanted to do it in a manner that'll allow people to understand more about how I think.

Thank you for taking your time to read this.
Frost
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Frost »

Melkior is one of those rare people who thinks before he talks. And he sure knows how to talk!
His sense of humor is stronger than his sense of smell. And he sure smells!
His programming skill is greater than his singing ability. And he can sure rock the mic!
His joy from the game is greater than his joy from [edit: this is a family game]. And he sure likes to [redacted]!

Well, he's basically a good fellow who enjoys TMW and the people who play it. His "Confused Tree" has brought joy to many players. He's been a long-time player who likes giving back to our great community. As GM, he could give back in new ways.

As a player, I get a lot of laughs from his Confused Tree. I've have great conversations with Melkior himself. I've talked with people who know him well, like Dyna, Elench, and Hrvoje. He's a solid guy with solid judgement who wants to see the game continue to grow.
As an admin, I work closely with our GM team, and I am excited that Melkior might join that crew. I trust his word, his judgement, and his ability to work in a team.

Without reservations, "Yes."
You earn respect by how you live, not by what you demand.
-unknown
Villain
Novice
Novice

Post by Villain »

I think Melkior would be a good GM for many of the reasons already given. I don't see him as often as many of you do due to time differences so my interaction with him has mostly been limited to conversations with Confused Tree. The only thing that worries me is that it seems many GMs are non-existent in game lately and Melkior recently returned to TMW from a long absence. We don't need another GM who doesn't show up to ban me when needed
*stares at Big Crunch and mrgrey and Tiana and AlOnS* :alt-7:
RIP Frost, Big Crunch, Mistakes, mrgrey, and MrWho
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Well, I don't know what to say anymore since everything's already said.

Of course I also voted for him.
I can just encourage other people to also vote for him so he gets the required votes ASAP - we need such a GM (timezone + his personality = win).
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
Syzlack
Novice
Novice

Post by Syzlack »

Well, As WildX pointed before it will be a good addition on having a GM from Europe due time zone difference. Honestly, I don't know him personally neither in game, but based on the previous comments of the people that I know and their good judgment I will vote yes!

You got my vote pal! :alt-6:
Zopar
Peon
Peon

Post by Zopar »

I think Melkior would be a good GM, I vote yes... and also because i want to see my gorilla face again on a post :lol:
Fewer things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
- Mark Twain