Mountain map - new work for quest/npc/monster creators

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Luneenia
Peon
Peon
Posts: 37
Joined: 27 Aug 2006, 18:28
Location: New Orleans

Post by Luneenia » 14 Sep 2006, 22:01

wow....can we use that last one? please??
User avatar
LEG0LAS
Novice
Novice
Posts: 261
Joined: 09 May 2006, 19:42

Post by LEG0LAS » 15 Sep 2006, 00:37

Luneenia wrote:wow....can we use that last one? please??
i don't think the last one can be used like that. it has too much details.

but its a very nice concept. this can be use to give the idea of the creature to the person who is going to make it.
LEG0LAS + Bow = 100arrows/s
User avatar
Bjørn
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1430
Joined: 09 Dec 2004, 19:50
Location: North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
Contact:

Post by Bjørn » 16 Sep 2006, 11:41

ziolive wrote:What type of monster will be used in TMW ?
here an exemple of the same monster designed in 3 different styles :
Image

The concept is just an flying monster with 4 wings

First : Happy monster
Second : Realistic monster
Ter : Dark or frightening monster

So ?
Really nice drawings! As for answering your question, I think we can basically use all of them, or at least the last two. There is nothing against having the same kind of creature in different "levels of darkness".
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Post by Rotonen » 16 Sep 2006, 12:02

I really like the claws on that lizardish thing, I think it is worth further development and would fit a mountaineous environment (swooping down from the sky and picking up innocent victims from the narrow mountain paths without much room left for escaping). It should perhaps look a bit more aerodynamic and have the fangs to match the claws.

I think you should initially use the first style of drawing due to it being the fastest and then further develop those which get the best responses. I don't think that a concept picture can be too detailed: the pixel artist who will pixellate it can pick the best usable details for the pixellated appearence out of the huge array of conceptualized details. It would be fairly insane to require the pixel artist to try and keep every detail of every conceptual picture. Also the "dark monsters" scheme would fit the backstory explanation of "why there are monsters in the world".
This message used to be meaningful.
Carpiza
Peon
Peon
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Nov 2006, 12:49

Post by Carpiza » 06 Nov 2006, 13:03

Hi 2 All

How can I test this Map?; I read the map tutorial and replace new_2-1.tmx.gz with this one (saving the originals), and also the graphics .png, but when i enter the game and go to that map (the first cave), i dont see the mountains but the original cave. The mountain data file is Ok because i can see it with Tiled. Any Idea what I'am making wrong?

Carlos
User avatar
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 1113
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 18:29
Location: Poland
Contact:

Post by i » 06 Nov 2006, 13:18

I really like that idea. Can we have same monster with diferent sprite depending from creature lv? that could be nice, but anyway... from players point of view, there is no diference between one monster in diferent lv with diferent look, or two monsters with similiar name.

one more thing. dont u think that's a bit strange that agresive snakes dont attack agresive scorpions? maybe we should more carefully put monsters in enviroment.

maybe some agresive monsters (4eg Large Snakes) should protect small ones from one spieces (small snakes), etc. that could be nice, dont u think?
Retired chainsaw seller. CEO @ Advertising Agency N2P
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Post by Crush » 06 Nov 2006, 15:04

Carpiza wrote:Hi 2 All

How can I test this Map?; I read the map tutorial and replace new_2-1.tmx.gz with this one (saving the originals), and also the graphics .png, but when i enter the game and go to that map (the first cave), i dont see the mountains but the original cave. The mountain data file is Ok because i can see it with Tiled. Any Idea what I'am making wrong?

Carlos
Your changed file is overridden by a changed file in the updates folder. Start TMW with the command line parameter -u to skip the update loading or remove the file you want to change from the zip archives in the folder /update/
Last edited by Crush on 06 Nov 2006, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Matt
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1746
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 11:47
Location: Germany->Bavaria

Post by Matt » 06 Nov 2006, 18:16

i wrote:I really like that idea. Can we have same monster with diferent sprite depending from creature lv? that could be nice, but anyway... from players point of view, there is no diference between one monster in diferent lv with diferent look, or two monsters with similiar name.

one more thing. dont u think that's a bit strange that agresive snakes dont attack agresive scorpions? maybe we should more carefully put monsters in enviroment.

maybe some agresive monsters (4eg Large Snakes) should protect small ones from one spieces (small snakes), etc. that could be nice, dont u think?
like that thingy?
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... dchain.jpg
Carpiza
Peon
Peon
Posts: 5
Joined: 06 Nov 2006, 12:49

Post by Carpiza » 06 Nov 2006, 21:22

Crush wrote: remove the file you want to change from the zip archives in the folder /update/
Tks; That works.
Alderan
Peon
Peon
Posts: 59
Joined: 24 Jan 2006, 23:22
Location: Prague - Czech Republic
Contact:

Is this used?

Post by Alderan » 05 Jan 2008, 00:17

Hi I wanted to ast weather the map is used somewhere or not?
Post Reply