Magic level 3, 4 and 5 roadmap

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Magic level 3, 4 and 5 roadmap

Post by gumi »

I'm not good with introductions so I will jump straight to the point: What spells would like to see implemented in the game?

To make a suggestion, simply fill in the following details:

Spell invocation: the magic word used to cast the spell (example: #inma)
Spell name: the name used by npcs to refer to the spell (example: greater healing)
Magic school: it can be either Life, War, Transmutation, Nature, Astral or Dark
Spell effect: what your spell does. Be creative, it can be anything. Spell effects include but are not limited to attack, defense, healing/curing, item crafting, cursing/enchanting, etc. ...your imagination is the only limit.

Optional details:

Element: spells of a specific element are strong against the opposite elements (example: water beats fire). The possible elements are Water, Earth, Fire, Wind, Poison, Shadow, Holy, Ghost and Undead.
Npc: the name of the npc teaching you this spell
Modifiers: if your spell is an attack spell, you can make it more or less effective depending on the enemies. For example, you could create a troll-killing spell that is very devastating against trolls but has almost no effect against other enemies. This way you can make your spell more specific.

Spells under development
> These spells are under development which means they can and most probably will be modified before officially being introduced into the game. Every suggestion will be considered.

#flarfol Fire Ball
This level 3 War Magic spell attacks all monsters in line of sight with devastating Fire element damage.

#anju Cure Poison
This level 3 Life Magic spell requires 1 Gamboge Herb and instantly cures poison. This spell can not be used on oneself.

#kalzumin Teleport Spouse
This level 3 Astral Magic spell, once cast, takes up to 5 seconds to gather energy from the stars and then teleports your spouse next to you. To use this spell, both characters need to be married and both need to have their wedding ring equipped. If your spouse die while you are gathering Astral energy the teleportation is cancelled and you have to start over. To avoid abuse, when #kalzumin is cast the spouse receives the message "Your partner is calling for your aid!". The spouse can then choose to wait and be teleported or to unequip the wedding ring.

(no level 4 spells yet, suggestions are welcome)

#anwilvimar Elemental Shroud
This level 5 Nature Magic spell makes you disappear in front of your enemies which makes it a great spell to travel into dangerous regions. You can still see your enemies but they can not see you. The downside to this spell is that you can not attack while it is in effect.

#vorp Teleportation
This level 5 Astral Magic spell requires 1 Ether Essence (not yet implemented) and allows you to teleport to a random location in the map of your choice. To use this spell, you need to obtain a Teleportation Crystal by doing a special quest (not yet implemented).

Spells under development can all be tested on the Testing server. To do so, talk to any debug NPC and select the option "Add Everything" to obtain magic level 5.

TL;DR: use this thread to make suggestions for new magic spells

UPDATE: to make voting easier, please submit your ideas on UserVoice
Last edited by gumi on 13 Jun 2014, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Magic level 3, 4 and 5 roadmap

Post by gumi »

Here are two suggestions I received from toxicodendron

#xieltyr Quick Dash
it would be cool to have a fling spell too. it would fling you in the direction you are facing 7 tiles or so. the object being to get you past mobs. i could even do a bit of damage to mobs you fly through
#uqokah Oxygen Tank
also, someday a spell to allow you to breath underwater. so you could visit the ancient triton ruins
Note: While there is no "triton ruins" in the game yet, I am not closed to the idea and if other people like it too we could definitely make a submarine map
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

meko wrote: Modifiers: if your spell is an attack spell, you can make it more or less effective depending on the enemies. For example, you could create a troll-killing spell that is very devastating against trolls but has almost no effect against other enemies. This way you can make your spell more specific.
IMO this should be done in terms of element only.

Note that there are two elements: one for "do extra damage to monsters of this element" and the other "do less damanage to monsters of this element".

For example, #flar is
(CALL elt_damage target damage damage_bonus ELT_WATER ELT_FIRE 15)
Which does extra damage (1 + element_level/4) against water creatures and less damage (1/3, regardless of element level) against fire creatures.

We really need to do some holy/unholy spells.
meko wrote: #anwilvimar Elemental Shroud
This level 5 Nature Magic spell makes you disappear in front of your enemies which makes it a great spell to travel into dangerous regions. You can still see your enemies but they can not see you. The downside to this spell is that you can not attack while it is in effect.

#vorp Teleportation
This level 5 Astral Magic spell requires 1 Ether Essence (not yet implemented) and allows you to teleport to a random location in the map of your choice. To use this spell, you need to obtain a Teleportation Crystal by doing a special quest (not yet implemented).
I don't think either of these actually work. That said, we should probably concentrate on only releasing magic level 3, and not worry about 4 or 5 yet. I don't think our current world is advanced enough to support them.

Also, consensus from the last time we talked about magic was that you will only be allowed to gain school level 3 for one school at a time, sort of like focus skills (general magic level 3 will be available for everyone).
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
vquangchung
Peon
Peon

Post by vquangchung »

Here is my suggestion

Invocation: #thulionef
Effect: Knockbacks all monster in line of sight so you can escape from them. It have small delay and low mana cost, so you can cast it frequently but after casting it, you can't attack in few second
NPC: A mage in Castle
School: Nature
Modifier: Further distance to flying monster

*** EDIT ***
This spell can't use on some quest (ex: candor) so you can't win it by using spell and wait for time out
Last edited by vquangchung on 14 Jun 2014, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

meko wrote:#kalzumin Teleport Spouse
This level 3 Astral Magic spell, once cast, takes up to 5 seconds to gather energy from the stars and then teleports your spouse next to you. To use this spell, both characters need to be married and both need to have their wedding ring equipped. If your spouse die while you are gathering Astral energy the teleportation is cancelled and you have to start over. To avoid abuse, when #kalzumin is cast the spouse receives the message "Your partner is calling for your aid!". The spouse can then choose to wait and be teleported or to unequip the wedding ring
If this spell is possible, I'd like to suggest warping yourself instead of your spouse..If your spouse is in the middle of a raid or another quest you're not aware of then a box pops infront of their face... this can cause issues.

Also might be a good idea to make restrictions on warping on maps like candor/illia/botcheck etc.

regards,
Chicka
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Thank you chicka-maria; it would of course be problematic.
However, the spouse only have to unequip the wedding ring before a raid to not be disturbed so it's no big deal..
Still, I too think this spell could cause problems and it should be teleport-to-spouse instead of teleport-spouse-to-you like the @goto GM command.
If others agree with this, I will make the changes accordingly
shahezad
Newly Registered User

Post by shahezad »

I have a simple spell idea maybe it isn't so good...

a spell when it is used 1 Bat Teeth is consumed and person who cast the spell get some HP (i think 3-5) for each killing.

Spell invocation: #vemth
Spell name: Vampire teeth
Magic school: Dark (or maybe Life)
Spell effect: get some HP for each kill (i think random between 3-5)

this spell's effect end after 20sec-30sec
vquangchung
Peon
Peon

Post by vquangchung »

meko wrote:However, the spouse only have to unequip the wedding ring before a raid to not be disturbed so it's no big deal..
Let's imagine when your spouse is running in Illia Inn and Illia is summoning her minions. If you don't have shorcut for unequip wedding ring it will be a trouble
I think it's better to have a check script to ensure your spouse isn't in some map as Candor, Illia quest's maps, Cindy cave,.. before calling your spouse
baedamichi
Novice
Novice

Post by baedamichi »

vquangchung wrote:I think it's better to have a check script to ensure your spouse isn't in some map as Candor, Illia quest's maps, Cindy cave,.. before calling your spouse
You can never 100% accurately predict when and where someone will not want to be summoned/teleported. Imagine, for example, someone having the conversations of their life in Hurnscald, both in public and in lots of chat tabs, it is quite likely that someone in that situation might miss the notification of being summoned as well. The best thing you get with this approach is a prediction of how likely it might be that someone wants / does not want to be summoned. Additionally, you would take away the possibilty for people who actually want to be summoned from one of those maps, as this would be a black/white (map where it's possible / map where it's impossible) decision. Also, I could imagine this would cause some extra work for developers, as they would constantly have to alter those maps on which being called by your spouse is not possible, depending on players' feedback. Also, for new maps, the decision would have to be made anew.
meko wrote:However, the spouse only have to unequip the wedding ring before a raid to not be disturbed so it's no big deal..
Seems to be the easiest way. People, however, would often forget to unequip and then complain. :alt-3:

Thus, I personally think the best way to go about this (from a player's perspective) would be to ask the spouse who's being summoned for confirmation. An active type of confirmation, where the spouse would actually have to do something (like typing a specified string...) rather than not do something (i.e. failing to unequip wedding ring) to be teleported to the calling better half. Not sure if that would be difficult to implement, though.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

I just want to remind that a spell granting the @hide status could break the difficulty of quests and areas.
Personally I'm totally against this, please check viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18133&p=142075#p142075

Unluckily I can't suggest other spells (yet), but I want to say that I find it absolutely awesome that there is such a progress these days :alt-3:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

Well @hide still shows the player on map, but mobs and players can't attack and @invisible completely removes them, but scripts can't see them.

We'd need something in between where the mobs and players can't see them but scripts and magic can.

So stealth still has technical difficulties the server code would need to resolve.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

There used to be a couple of other levels of hide, we could investigate how they used to work and try to reenable those.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Not for level 3+ but people often complaint that there is no way to check their Boss Points except when you gain some.
There were suggestions to create a spell that tells you how many you gained by using it.
Personally I like that idea.
IMO it shouldn't cost an item to cast it.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Cassy wrote:Not for level 3+ but people often complaint that there is no way to check their Boss Points except when you gain some.
There were suggestions to create a spell that tells you how many you gained by using it.
Personally I like that idea.
IMO it shouldn't cost an item to cast it.
The boss points shop script for a npc has that function, check first post, code.
If the idea of the boss point shop won't get into game wouldn't it be an easy fix to add to Parua?

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18269
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I really like the idea behind using something like this for spells.

https://tmworld.uservoice.com/forums/255809-general

So far it has at least given some insight.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.