North America: Fishing in Rivers

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

North America: Fishing in Rivers

Post by _Cordo_ »

Folks in North America, spefically in the Mid-Atlantic region of of the United States, do you still fish in the rivers? That is to ask do you feel safe in fishing to attain a mess of fish for dinner, from a river local to yourself? If so, where in geographic terms are you located? Does pollution not present an issue for you?

I used to fish for dinner, to be canned, frozen, as a boy. Here presently in mid-forties seem to miss that. A lot of missing it, I find, stems from the issue of pollution. Thought it might be something to chat about here. This is the off topic thread, and it clearly states we can talk about anything.

So, how are things regarding fishing in your neck of the woods? See the above questions, too. Be nice to engage in discussion.
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Re: North America: Fishing in Rivers

Post by ozthokk »

Well hello there Cordo, well we he in the Great Lakes state have some of the best fishing of course. As for river fishing, i live none to far from the largest longest river in Michigan "the Grand River" of from that nice body of water there are hundreds of other rivers and creeks in which we fish many times through out the spring and summer months. there are many types of fish and wild life that dwell within these bodies of water in which we are currently working hard to keep clean. As for the fish, mostly i fish for pan fish, Sun Fish, Blue Gill and the such and the occasional Carp, just because, and the fish here are just perfect for eating, but there is a slight problem of over fishing here:/
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

I fish rivers and natural lakes, but catch and release only. The levels of pollution out here in the Rust Belt are scary. The EPA guidelines essentially say that if I eat any of these fish I'm likely to grow a third arm and a second head, then die of leprosy. It's been this way my entire life. Local industry dumped untreated industrial/chemical waste directly into the waterways for well over half a century, ugh.

That said, the pollution problem *is* getting slowly better. They outlawed the dumping long ago and are doing what they can to clean things up. The fish are getting bigger and the wildlife is starting to make a comeback! I saw a beaver not too long ago. I've never seen one in the wild before.

Since it's c&r I've found the most fun to be had is going after bigger/crazier fish. Trout, Salmon, Muskies, etc.

Is the pollution problem getting worse in your area?
Head of the TMW Illuminati
o11c
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by o11c »

People fish in the Columbia and its tributaries all the time without worrying about it. That's not to say it's as clean as it was pre-invasion, but it's nowhere near as bad as some.

The biggest concern is probably the nuclear waste.
Former programmer for the TMWA server.
_Cordo_
Peon
Peon

Post by _Cordo_ »

In VA. where I grew up we mainly fished the Shenadaoh River. We noted that at some point agricultural waste run off became a bigger issue. It was not exactly the small dairy farmer's burden what brought this on though.

We had two major poultry processing plants who both on paper and in public were angels. Everyone of course, knew they dumped offal and other waste into the river. How could they avoid not doing it when the rail system ran between them and the river.

That is to say it was arranged as so: Plant Rail River.

This meant to dump to the river was simply tieing into a culvert under the rail. They had instant access to these which were used as sewerages. And no, not naming which plants. The one has been owned by quite a few, had name changes all along. Everyone in the area knows it by one name and calls it that.

"Yeah I was working at the __ plant. They were bought by __ and supposed be called __ but we still call it __".

The other plant is more of a late comer in the area, also rather large outfit. Used to be a time some would pull what they called split doubles. Work shift one in plant __ get off, walk across the street literally, go on for shift two at __'s plant.

Some folks would do that for two weeks, take the next two weeks with one shift. They even had crews what used rotation schedules doing this. Crew A would pull a week on doubles, pass off the next to crew B, flip the next and so on.

Both of these places on average night shifts could run 50,000 - 100,000+ birds for processing. It was these mass agricultural business which contributed to our river "back home" becoming unsafe for all but catch and release.

We used to love catching five gallon buckets full of sun perch when they ran in the Spring. This was done legally too, angling. We also did what is called dipping, using nets. We would get carp, all forms of various bass. Once in a bit we might stumble into getting trouts.

There was a tradition when we fished during the "runs", we took round six five gallon buckets full of fish to those who we knew were in need. One year my uncle told Pap about a buddy, one he had served with in 'Nam. This old fellow had been told he had used up any VA help. He had the bad shakes.

He lived in a house that was built in the early 1900's. It was a sturdy under structure but was in bad need of some work to bring up to liveable code. The guy had two girls, a woman that lived with with him. She was his nurse, live in common law wife.

Neither he nor her had any business attempting to engage in the work needing done. They could not afford the material, nor paying laborers. Pap told my uncle to give him a week.

Pap and my uncle combined a month of their wages. They went, taking me along as a boy go for (gopher), replaced a porch roof, adjusted some plumbing issues. They went to the basement and ensured a stress crack was that only, sealed it with quick set.

This come about from simply bringing the guy a bucket of fish. I taught one of the little girls how to clean, filet a fish. Once we got her a table set up out back of the house she took off cleaning the bucket full.

We took the girls fishing some. We took them round to help make surprise fish drops. Someone would mention some Jane or John needing, we brought them fish, blankets, canned goods. We would drop off the care bombs on a stoop, get back in a car and leave.

Now, I live in WV. Wife says everyone calls this area Chemical Valley. Upstream from us lies __Major Chemical Company_, _Big Electrical/Chemical Company_, _Large Tire Factory_, _Big Plastics Manufacture_ and a few other types of similar vein. There is also Nitro, around 45 minutes South of us. They had a chemical base there, made dynamite and other explosives.

I hear talk of some of the catfish near us being large enough to eat a grown man whole. *chuckles* From some I take it as fishing tales, from others I have to wonder. I used to enjoy fishing, when it was edible, instead of being food for the fishes. *grin*
John Wentworth
Newly Registered User

Post by John Wentworth »

Canadian northern lakes and rivers are still pretty great for fishing and low on pollution. Anything south though is a no go. Lake Ontario is like the river in Springfield by Homer's nuclear power plant where fish come out with legs and three eyes.

Ok, maybe it's not that bad, but it's pretty bad.
Kull
Novice
Novice

Post by Kull »

John Wentworth wrote:Canadian northern lakes and rivers are still pretty great for fishing and low on pollution. Anything south though is a no go. Lake Ontario is like the river in Springfield by Homer's nuclear power plant where fish come out with legs and three eyes.

Ok, maybe it's not that bad, but it's pretty bad.
Lake Erie is a cesspool of filth, but everyone eats out of it. Every day there are dozens, maybe hundreds, of fisherman using our local ports.