[DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable items

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

[DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable items

Post by Cassy »

Referring to a discussion in this thread.

The idea is to create a rare mob that randomly spawns all over Hurnscald.
This mob has very special rare drops: currently unobtainable items.

The script is no problem, neither is creating such a mob or adding a story to it in an NPC dialogue.

What I want to discuss here is if we really want currently unobtainables made available and which ones.
Please read this post and take part in this discussion.

My personal opinion:
I always disliked making unobtainables available again because they are achievements for the ones that already got one (or more) after long hard work.
It would be very unfair to just make them available again.
But: Making them available through rare mob drops might be a good idea - it strongly depends on how rare and because of this unfairness mentioned I am for *very* rare.
This would be the middle between those who want unobtainables back in game and those who are against it.

Very rare means to me:
  • Finding the mob itself would already be rare: there would only be one at a time and there would be at least 50 different positions all over TMW where it can spawn (but everyone would be able to kill it, even new players - same chances for everyone)
  • A mob can have 8 drops
  • We use one slot with high drop chance. I'm thinking on Scissors as they are nothing special but at least have a use. I'd even say 100% drop chance.
  • All other slots should have a drop chance of maximum 0.02%. Summing things up it's a 0.14% chance to get a former unobtainable - killing 714 of that mob to get one (in avarage) - still very rare.
  • They would not be allowed to be @spawn'ed or @summon'ed with a GM command
Please let's not go for super rares like Scarab Armlet or Eyepatch.
What I would pick:
  • Paper Bag
  • Mouboo Head
  • Bunch Of Parsley
  • Chef Hat
  • Christmas Tree Hat
  • Sunglasses
  • Leather Goggles
  • Elf Nightcap
  • Guy Fawkes Mask
  • Opera Mask
  • Jester Mask
  • Witch Hat
  • Goblin Mask
  • Antler Hat
  • Snow Goggles
  • Santa Beard Hat
  • Rabbit Ears
  • Heart Glasses
  • Mush Hat
  • Face Mask
  • Bunny Ears
  • Top Hat
  • Eggshell Hat (the regular one, not one of those from Easter Annual)
  • Pan Hat
  • Shroom Hat
Thanks for participating in this discussion :alt-3:
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

[20:24:59] <Cassy> debug npc in crypts!
[20:25:02] <Cassy> just a joke...
[20:25:08] <wushin> DONT DO THAT
[20:25:10] <o11c> !slap Cassy
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [DIS][WIP] Rare mob dropping currently unobtainable item

Post by EJlol »

Any reason why these not? Isn't the idea behind this rare mob to introduce exactly these items? The items that were introduced a *very* long time ago, and never have been used again.

My suggestion is to add every item to the monster that has been unobtainable for more than ~5 years. And update the monster with the latest unobtainable items that are older every year.
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

EJlol wrote:
Any reason why these not?
Personally I'd rather prefer another solution than a simple mob drop.
E.g. I still like veryape's idea about creating shop NPC that requires Boss Points to buy items.
Main characters:
Lv.94 - Cassy - speedarcher on dark path, bunny-wannabe, would like to ride on a Mouboo once...
Lv.95 - Biqcassy - mage on light path, addicted to her Fluffy Hat, love-hates Fallens, really misses Confused Tree...
Lv.70 - Simca. - dreams of becoming a speedarcher on light path, still has a lot to learn...

Personal development overview | priorities | wiki to-do | wiki profile incl. other characters

Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

After some discussions on IRC:

By veryape: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/121 ... mouboo.png
I vote for that one :D

Also another possibity for the 8 drops:
- Scissors (100%)
- less rare unobtainble (e.g. Heart Glasses) (0.03%)
- less rare unobtainble (e.g. Bunch Of Parsley) (0.03%)
- less rare unobtainble (e.g. Eggshell Hat) (0.03%)
- medium rare unobtainble (e.g. Sunglasses) (0.02%)
- medium rare unobtainble (e.g. Rabbit Ears) (0.02%)
- super rare unobtainble (e.g. Scarab Armlet) (0.01%)
- super rare unobtainble (e.g. Eyepatch) (0.01%)
(0.15% for a rare, ~666 kills/rare)
Main characters:

Mr.SlothFromSpace
Peon
Peon

Post by Mr.SlothFromSpace »

I like the idea, its a good way to keep all the lvl 99 active and focus on something, but why not use items that are not in the game? I'm sure we have a lot of items waiting for a quest, why not use them here?
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Mr.SlothFromSpace wrote:I like the idea, its a good way to keep all the lvl 99 active and focus on something, but why not use items that are not in the game? I'm sure we have a lot of items waiting for a quest, why not use them here?
They should be released with new quests ;)
Main characters:

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

As for the mouboo, why not give him lots of hats? A little bit like this:

It doesn't make sense to let him drop of different hats, if he doesn't has one :alt-6:
Mikko
Peon
Peon

Post by Mikko »

Cassy wrote: Personally I'd rather prefer another solution than a simple mob drop.
E.g. I still like veryape's idea about creating shop NPC that requires Boss Points to buy items.
I agree with this idea, anything that encourages more social interaction between players is a good thing.
Hunting for rare mobs sounds a bit dull compared to this.
Qwik
Newly Registered User

Post by Qwik »

"I always disliked making unobtainables available again because they are achievements for the ones that already got one (or more) after long hard work"

Without trying to sound contentious I disagree with this mindset. The idea is that only people that have been around for a long time can have items that accessorize and generally make players unique or interesting. To never allow newer players to have access to older items disincentivizes game play. If you know starting out or shortly after starting no matter how hard you played, no matter how much you assisted or helped other players and no matter how much time you invested in the game you would Never be equal to an older player simply because they started before you. I think the answer is to modify the new version by color or shape variation and that will be what distinguishes the older player/item from the new release but still allows the new player the opportunity to enjoy the game equally. In this way it retains the rare value of the "original" release.
ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

i started playing back in 2007 and in the past couple years i have not been as active of a player as i use to and have missed many events that gave said rares, even when i was an very active player, most of these items were only given during special events. So, i say, given that this creature whom would drop these said items would in itself be a rare thing to find, Heck, bring it on. it sounds like a really fun idea to have a roaming treasure hunt for everyone to be involved in. Oh yeah, if anyone remembers the exact items that were given in past quests by PC's, please list, because i do not remember. :oops:
Cassy
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Cassy »

Qwik wrote:The idea is that only people that have been around for a long time can have items that accessorize and generally make players unique or interesting. To never allow newer players to have access to older items disincentivizes game play. If you know starting out or shortly after starting no matter how hard you played, no matter how much you assisted or helped other players and no matter how much time you invested in the game you would Never be equal to an older player simply because they started before you. I think the answer is to modify the new version by color or shape variation and that will be what distinguishes the older player/item from the new release but still allows the new player the opportunity to enjoy the game equally. In this way it retains the rare value of the "original" release.
I disagree too.
For example I got my first rares pretty fast by:
- killing mobs and selling their loot, then buying on MM or from players
- cleverly following market prices, buying cheap and selling expensive until I could buy a rare
- being lucky in GM events
- or simply making friends
The first two ones are hard work, depending on the rares you buy/trade of course.
So four reasons why I disagree with "only people that have been around for a long time" ;)

Making all unobtainables easy to get will pretty much destroy uniqueness and many, maybe most, people dislike looking like everyone else (or many else).
Another reason why we need to be careful with how we would make them obtainable again.
And one of the reasons why this suggestion is something like a compromise.

But anyway, what about this suggestion about the rare mob?
Main characters:

ozthokk
Novice
Novice

Post by ozthokk »

I like the talk of a MouBoo being this rare mob, but i would say its recognizability should be very suttle to its appearance, say, a change of color to its eyes, or perhaps a small spot somewhere on its body, something soo mundane that it would take a few glances to really notice it. Making it this way would make it really difficult to notice, so in some cases many may just hunt as many as they can with the chance that they may kill the right one 8)
ginosuper
Novice
Novice

Post by ginosuper »

I like the idea. But maybe there should be a few ultra-rares that should just stay unobtainable.

I especially and personally would love to see things like 'Golden' versions of mobs, which will give much more EXP (But are also rare to find) I don't think it requires much to make these mobs since we could just recolour the sprites (I think, that is).

My answer is yes :)

(And maybe I should post the 'Golden' mobs idea on the forums).
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

I like the idea. But that mob should not be killed by a character under lvl50, because players would start making chars only to sit on those spots the mob spawns and attack them. Also I agree with Qwik, who said that really old items can't be obtained by new players. Hell, I haven't seen an eyepatch selling for a long long time! So that mob should spawn in random areas, at least 3 times a day (so all timezones are covered).

Also, many old players who had rare items are not active anymore, so the items they had are kinda gone.

Oh and I'm against the 100% chance of getting scissors. Let it be 30 or 50% :)

--
Travolta
Xtreem
Peon
Peon

Post by Xtreem »

Is a great idea.
But depending on the items that will be obtained many people may feel disadvantaged.
But the drop rate is very low. Together with the difficulty of location of this mob.
This would result in a very difficult search.
And I believe that will not affect trade negatively.
If they have a respawn time of 12 hours would be even better. Further complicates :D
I think other things must be obtained. Something that can be sold to npcs for a considerable value.
It can be really frustrating to find and kill them and do not get anything good.
And also think they should not be so easy to kill to prevent profiteers.
But if the respawn is completely random, I believe that this not be a problem.
I think they should appear only outdoors nothing of caves or interior.