[DIS] [BAN] FyOrk afk botting

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

[DIS] [BAN] FyOrk afk botting

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

just a hint (not meant as criticism):

It is possible to switch off the chat window. Or to switch to another tab than the general one. Using whisper opens a direct channel and gives a message sound (knocking). So if you don't get an answer within a minute, maybe first try whisper for direct communication. Just to be sure 8)

And another one: Yesterday i met a player from Brazil (zyk zyk), who seemingly could not speak much english. So i tried in portuguese (i'm not very good at it, but some basics...) and found that it is no bot, but a real player (who wanted help). I know, public language is english. But i think it should not be necessary to ban players (accidentially) just because they don't speak enough english and someone thinks it might be bot-generated garbage :)

So if you are in any doubt: My native language is german, i can sufficiently speak english, and i speak some portugues and spanish. And i know enough french to tell if an answer is french or just garbage. So in case if any answer seems to be gobbledigok, but you're not sure, you might ask me (main char = Zardoz). And i know there are people in the game who speak chinese. Would be good to know who they are to be able to ask them :)

This is not meant as criticism, i just want to help.
prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: [Ban] FyOrk afk botting

Post by prsm »

the GM team is very aware that some people do not speak English. On many botchecks I have had people respond to me with a "non English" sentences. we do accept that, But not answering a GM on botcheck, wont and cant be tolerated.

and yes people do close the chat window, but the chat still displays for a few seconds on the screen.

We are trying to make the game more fun, but we wont make it easier to cheat, and botting is the most exploited cheat.

It should also be added this is not a disscusion forum, if you have questions about rules, please make them under player talk.
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

As you wish
Meicchi
Novice
Novice

Post by Meicchi »

We need to enforce rules to be known (bringing Constable Graf from Tulimshar to Hurnscald could be something). However anyone can escape tutorial and not even reading them or never clicking on Graf so they need to be aware, at least, that their stupidity may lead to bad things AND that this doesn't make them aware of rules.

I knew FyOrk, he is brazilian. But I have to tell you that my compatriot fellows are the most unaware people regarding to rules thus the most ignorant ones. Which doesn't take my sympathy at all.

Note (to myself inclusive): maybe we need to include Rules within the main wiki pages. And if possible in anyway, setting it to be displayed right after we create an account (for what we could have a Country field in register just to redirect people to the right language page)
Find me in-game:
  • * Puncake (main) - light path mage, lv 79, she is actually a pumpkin
    * Meicchi (retired?) - slow speed archer, eternal lv 70 and Ginny's bastard twin
    * Fluttersly - rage warrior, lv 58, knows no jokes and has a mane
Brazilian Portuguese translation coordinator - Make part! / Faça parte!
https://www.transifex.com/organization/akaras/dashboard
https://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Pt:Main_Page
Spoiler:
Yes, imma noob.
Cassy's official fan-clubber
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

as i already wrote, my post was not meant as criticism. And so it was not meant as criticism about banning this bot. Ginarias decision was right. My post was just meant as some new thoughts about bot checking, and offering help in some cases.

I already talked to ginaria, and i think she understood it. She did not agree with my suggestion of trying whisper, and told me, why. I have to admit that her reasons are very reasonable. Still i think it is good talking about this. Banning someone is a hard step. In case it is necessary it simply is necessary. But it can't be bad to more often think about it.

But if it is preferred not to discuss it, well, i will simply stop here. I have no problem with that.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: [DIS] [BAN] FyOrk afk botting

Post by AnonDuck »

The GMs are essentially administering quick Reverse Turing Tests. They just want to judge if the player is human or an unattended computer process.

There are plenty of ways to accomplish this and they've been known to use several methods. Due to the nature of the test a 100% procedure cannot be established as this would make it much easier to write bots that pass it. The GMs have to use their imaginations and judgement.

They are aware that players on Android devices may not be able to type. They are aware that some people do not speak English. They work around this as best they can.

In the end it's a judgement call. This is why GMs are elected from the community and approved by TMWC. If you don't trust someone's judgement don't vote for them. If TMWC doesn't trust someone's judgement they will not become a GM.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Siegfried
Novice
Novice

Re: [DIS] [BAN] FyOrk afk botting

Post by Siegfried »

Hi,

you did not get it. I do trust Ginaria. I already wrote that her decision was right. So please do not get this wrong!

BTW, thanks for moving this to the correct thread.