TMW works at our programming class

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Turupawn
Newly Registered User

TMW works at our programming class

Post by Turupawn »

We used the mana world in our programming class. We made some maps, items, mobs.
It helped us to undertand how to structure our projects, learn linux and many other things.
We'll post here the results. Thanks guy for making this engine!
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: TMW works at our programming class

Post by wushin »

Glad you enjoy it. We are currently making new changes to the engine to make it a better game engine. Would love to see the changes and maps. Even if it's screenshots.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

Turupawn wrote:We used the mana world in our programming class. We made some maps, items, mobs.
It helped us to undertand how to structure our projects, learn linux and many other things.
We'll post here the results. Thanks guy for making this engine!
Wow that is way cool. If any of you wishes to continue to learn stuff you are welcome to join in on the development. Is this something that will be reacurring for comming classes or was it only a one off?

I hope you guys enjoyed it and learned a lot!
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Turupawn
Newly Registered User

Post by Turupawn »

Video showing the work made by the students:
https://youtu.be/zUhiBCELMns

Git repositories:
https://github.com/UnitecProgra3/tmwa-client-data
https://github.com/UnitecProgra3/tmwa-server-data

Ty guys!

Every three months there is a new class with new students. This is the new class first week and I like the previous class results so for now TMW will continue to be part of the class asignments.

I'm very happy to see that tmwa has new commits, do you guys suggest to continue with athena in the class or jump to hercules?
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

I'd suggest TMWA as we will continue to support it because of the Magic system on the TMW server.

Its great seeing other people learning to use TMW. I bet the kids enjoy it.
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Virtual Reality
Peon
Peon

Post by Virtual Reality »

This is awesome! Did the students have any pertinent comments (either from the developing or from playing)?
Turupawn
Newly Registered User

Post by Turupawn »

@wishin
It's so good to hear tmw athena is being maintained again! This is good to the class and the shibe world. Thanks and good luck!

@vitual reality
I heard a lot of students comment about the project structure and they learned a lot from the xml, scripting, compiling, client-server structure. They took a lot of those ideas into the other class assignments, that mostly consists on creating a game from scratch using a c++ graphics library. Sadly everything was done in a rush and somewhat messy because we didn't have much time to test it and play it in depth (also, the university has a stupid firewall that blocks tmw port). This trimester we are going to give the project more time so I hope everthing gets better and better.