Max Frylliar + Mule EXP = Server Crash

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
pateame

Max Frylliar + Mule EXP = Server Crash

Post by pateame »

I found the following bug while trying to find ways to lvl up my mule. To reproduce the situation need 2 characters in the same account.
1) Get all the mobs in graveyard with #itenplz and stand on tile (21,30). Then cast #frillyar, as collisions near reduce the probability of get hitted by arrows on the mobs tile, all they will die.
2) Before all mob die, log out and change to your mule character, all the exp of the #frillyar will be given to mule.
I suppose there's more collision reduced areas in more maps like graveyard, so the frylliar madness can be reproduced due to arrow hail magic script.
Have fun fixing! :P
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Max Frylliar + Mule EXP = Server Crash

Post by wushin »

Thanks for reporting this. Attached is resulting core dump.

We were aware magic wasn't doing something correctly with undefined_gat, but not sure where. Now we do.

The mob/account failover is known and currently not a bug but how tmwa works.

We are working on both these issues currently.

Thanks once again.
Attachments
core.txt
(18.62 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
The secret to getting all the important stuff done is doing nothing.
Travolta
Novice
Novice

Post by Travolta »

How much exp you get from this trick? More than 25k ?
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Travolta wrote:How much exp you get from this trick? More than 25k ?
Please don't attempt to reproduce this, we don't need more crashes
mortis
Peon
Peon

Post by mortis »

I saw you doing that in gy pateame, i didn't understand what you were doing. It was so crazy. :lol:
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

When you exploit this it leaves you account ID. If anyone continues to exploit this to crash main server, steps will be taken. If you want to test, use the test server.

The crash is affecting other peoples ability to play the game. Don't be jerks.
Rubikon_
Novice
Novice

Post by Rubikon_ »

I just tested it many times and server is not getting crashed but im getting exp again i also tested with #kalrenk/#kalmurk (with summon spells) and it works too.

Regards.
pateame

Post by pateame »

I just repeated the procedure on a different map just to clarify where the frillyar becomes deadly, on testing I found this spot in the swamp area, on tile (76,16).
It doesn't produce a server crash when there's few mobs on frillyar, but this new place is more dangerous due the high number of spectres/poltergeist around.
As far as it's dangerous to lvl up my mule this way, I'll try not to abuse the frylliar power. I just haven't read the warnings since my last post, sorry about being jerk. :oops:
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

There is a patch on the test-server right now. Can someone attempt to crash the TEST SERVER.
soseki
Novice
Novice

Post by soseki »

Does this mean that it was you who crashed the server last night when we reached 73 players online?? (first time in years )
“I do not want your admiration now, because I do not want your insults in the future. I bear with my loneliness now, in order to avoid greater loneliness in the years ahead. You see, loneliness is the price we have to pay for being born in this modern age, so full of freedom, independence, and our own egotistical selves.”
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

soseki wrote:Does this mean that it was you who crashed the server last night when we reached 73 players online?? (first time in years )
I guess there was only like 30 unique players connected
wushin
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by wushin »

The crash had Zero to do with the number of people online.

Bug

The server was using the null map from a player that logged off to try and send msgs to.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Crash appears to be fixed.

Post by Hello=) »

I gave it a try and I was not able to crash test server. Sounds good! Congrats on pinning this nasty crap down, pateame & whoever involved.

But still, I can see at least 2 notable (but less severe) issues:
1) Mule can earn enormous amounts of XP in unfair ways. Imagine unleveled mule noob sitting in safe corner around GY and earning thousands XP out of nowhere.

2) Frillyar would both do damage attributed to wrong entity (mule) and would damage mule as if mule was caster. As far as I understand, its whole class of bugs, where spell remains attached to caster (by account ID?) but caster is different entity at this point. This probably can cause a bunch of various bugs.

Reminds me about http://fun.platinum.linux.pl/pics/comic ... 050321.jpg (Warning, snake! Ahem, platyna's server I mean).

3) Bonus: when doing all sorts of odd things on test server, I found fancy bug for 4144:
- ManaPlus should display some popup message. I got popups about char death and "logout denied" from server.
- When popup still shown, log out via ESC -> "switch character" dialog anyway. It would eventually work.
- Now, good luck to select character (client appears locked up at this point).

Char selection window sees mouse movement, hovered elements are highlighted. But window ignores mouse clicks and keyboard input. One can open something like Setup by F9 window, but it would do the very same. The result is client, which internally works but it ignores most of user actions, there is no even obvious way to quit except emergency measures like "kill".
pateame

Post by pateame »

Sorry, I did it again :oops: , There's no excuses for my stupid curiosity, but here's my drama post:
It was a different spot, in Mountain Snake (006-1) tile (82,119)
I did frillyar a small group of snakes just thinking that few mobs won't crash anything but sadly it happened again... and that's all I can say. All my apologies for the affected users.

@@EDIT:

Everything is fixed now!!! Thanks dev team for your time and patience!!
Excellent work.