[FUSION] [DIS] TMW player compensation scheme

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Sharona
Peon
Peon

Re: [DIS] TMW player compensation scheme

Post by Sharona »

id like to be one of the many people transferred over where. and how do I sign up!

I'm not concerned about losing my level, if the exp rate from monsters and the drop rate is way better then what it is now.

Also instead of making the old items unobtainable. why not remake quests.

-TicTacToe quest for (tophat) < I remember seeing this on the alternate world

-Pirate quest (for high leveled players to obtain the eyepatch) < it is possible to make the npc only recognize you in certain gear this was experimented on an old server I use to be on and it worked out well but the quest really could use an update if its brought back. If you'd like please PM or respond to me I can totally recreate the script you'd read from the npc

- > you name it (other rares) I can come up with idea's for quests x3
https://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtop ... 36&t=17079 (was an old idea but just an example of what ive been able to do years ago)

this would be so much easier then losing items.

So yeah as I said please contact me btw I have a hard time figuring IRC stuff (getting on etc) so I do have a skype if any Developer would like to talk 1on1
butters
Peon
Peon

Post by butters »

I've been playing and beating RPGs since the 8 bit Nintendo with zelda hit the shelves. Many of them more than twice and they all begin like this....
START NEW GAME
You don't get to continue till you have played for a while.
I can only think of a few titles that allowed you to transfer data from a finished game to the next release or when starting a new game . Even then it was limited in a way as not to spoil the game play.

(you must be level 65 to equip this item. Get the lost item at lvl 99 ...You must be level 65 or under to use this item...start a new character to begin a quest. Knew and less experienced players get fewer/lower level items and have to wait till later in the game to obtain them by doing the quest or attending an event . have to play several quest before getting lost items...

Keep it simple, start a new quest, start a new game, maybe you or an NPC will find some of the things you lost along the way.

turn on god mode and get all items and money now? on/off
Sharona
Peon
Peon

Post by Sharona »

butters wrote:I've been playing and beating RPGs since the 8 bit Nintendo with zelda hit the shelves. Many of them more than twice and they all begin like this....
START NEW GAME
You don't get to continue till you have played for a while.
I can only think of a few titles that allowed you to transfer data from a finished game to the next release or when starting a new game . Even then it was limited in a way as not to spoil the game play.

(you must be level 65 to equip this item. Get the lost item at lvl 99 ...You must be level 65 or under to use this item...start a new character to begin a quest. Knew and less experienced players get fewer/lower level items and have to wait till later in the game to obtain them by doing the quest or attending an event . have to play several quest before getting lost items...

Keep it simple, start a new quest, start a new game, maybe you or an NPC will find some of the things you lost along the way.

turn on god mode and get all items and money now? on/off
eh hell im thinking maybe just leaving once no man's sky is released, im kinda annoyed with how dead tmw is sometimes, maybe its a time zone issue?

Anyway yeah I'd agree starting over is a good idea level wise, but i am very picky about it i mean i wouldnt want to lose rares it be much more fun to recreate or bring back old quests. to the new server.
Id only hate having to level again if the experience points you earn are small amounts since i just dont have hours upon hours to waste on here. hell if a person reach's maximum level there should be a new game + mode available for them where > the stats you earn are slightly less but you only you the player in new game + mode can collect double the rewards.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

after rethinking a lot about the player compensation scheme...
how about the compensation be a rare stuff for mages (wand, staff, robe or hat) and rare stuff for archers (bow, hat or arrows), the arrows most be more powerful than the terranite arrows and it have to be more than 5999 arrows.

You should think to add magic level 3 and new quests. :alt-6:
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

Here is an idea triple the money/cash game that each char haves and put in a card item (like a credit card) attach to that char not able to give it to another char. Perhaps this will make everyone happy
Or just triple the money/cash game in that account this will bring players now to the TMW (they will start to collect money) and will also make players happy about the merge (they will have a lot of money to expend on the new game) but above all will make the new game economy grows.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Items with good graphics will definitely be reused in future quests, but developing content is hard work and we cannot guarantee that all the items that are currently in TMW will be available immediately in the first release. In fact, most will not. This is why we have to reset owned items from TMW accounts. You will have a chance to get them again, but not necessarily soon.

TMW Team member

dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

i am not talking about get TMW items but to use the money get at TMW to buy new items in the new game that result from the merge.

I think that should be allowed double drop events in the merge game
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

dragoon84 wrote:i am not talking about get TMW items but to use the money get at TMW to buy new items in the new game that result from the merge.
Some players don't have much money but instead have many very rare items. You're suggesting they should sell their stuff pre-merge to convert it into money? Except no one would buy their rares if they're not gonna be ported to the new game, so those players would loose lots
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

Is every item is going to be delete?? if not forget the post before if yes than they should sell or do quests that give money.
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

another thing fix the client 1.6.7.16 i lost the glow of healing over time so the devs that make the client must be sleeping.
gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

dragoon84 wrote:another thing fix the client 1.6.7.16 i lost the glow of healing over time so the devs that make the client must be sleeping.
off-topic, please use the bug report forums
veryape
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by veryape »

The compensation thing is interesting. So the economy is broken in TMW, some people have loads of cash and all rares - this is a problem according to some people. Sure. But what is the merger really about? Will parts of what we today call TMW be available in the merger? Will i be able to travel to Hurnscald? Will the graphics be redone to fit with EVOLs style? Will quests be brought over?

As far as I have understood people will get their chars intact with levels over to the new world/game but not their assets except for maybe something to commemorate that they played before the merger + one more rare if they were important in some way.

I get that items and stats must be done over so that they fit EVOL and their thought about playing balance - I have no problem with that. I get a item that will later be unobtainable because I was playing TMW before it became EVOL/TMW and maybe i get something more if i am deemed important.

I have one of every hat now, I don't have any problem with losing that per se.

I feel that the great question will be - why should i keep my lvls? I start off the game that if I understand things correctly will mostly be EVOL with a char of unbelievable godlike abilities from the get go. Will i start the game on board of the ship as every newly created char? Will i get something like a petal to visit the Old World? or at least parts of it? As a sentimental old git i might want to see Hurnscald, pet a mouboo or whatever.

As I understood things at first the merge would add EVOLs new areas to TMW and we would switch engine to EVOLs engine, this has flaws as all the high level stuff is already there in TMW and the benifits of EVOLs balance thoughts would disappear in the process.

---Less important gibberish about what makes a MMORPG good/bad.

And on a side-note I quite disagree with the notion that the economy of TMW is a problem because many are filthy rich (and yes, by all accounts I am probably parts of the upper classes). However when I started out i was not, I don't own one of the old accounts, I made my fortune from scratch and picked up rares along the way by trades and mostly gifts to be honest. Hard work, commitment and playing fair / being friendly got me to those riches i have now. New players have the same chance as me I guess - and to be honest now when i have everything I ever wanted when I started the game and saw all those fashion hats makes me kind of sad, now I don't have anything to strive for. All successful MMOS have people that are more powerful than others, that is the whole point of the game, to try and accumulate friends, wealth and might. If we try to design that out of the game I think that we lose a big driving force for pushing to higher levels and once that is done for more money. Some of the mighty characters and even scammers are part of the lore that make TMW interesting.

Even the conspiracy theories about things (not as prevalent anymore sadly) added to the game and to the lore.
I think that all of the above that i in some sense is vital for a MMORPG to be interesting - if everyone can have everything and all the things on the economy is dictated by set prices important aspects of a MMORPG is lost.

TMWs problem in my view is that my chars are to powerful for everything, nothing is challenging anymore and after the illia items became available they made it easier to grind to lvl 99, but there was not really any quests / boss fights where they are essential except for the quest in which they were given in the first place.

I really hope that my chars will not just be transferred to EVOL as lvl 99ers and be trapped in a small world with the hardest mosters to beat are designed for lvl 40. That would make me lose all interest quite fast to be honest - hats or no hats does not matter here. If that is the case i think we need to keep some way to go back to the old world and get ourself a fight on our hand, maybe even with lesser equipment that is in EVOL now, make old players able to visit the old world in theird dreams or something, remove XP's for those monsters or lower them so that it does not become a fast track to level in EVOL.
Characters: veryape / Captain Dunce / Elvara / veryapeGM
Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

veryape wrote:Will parts of what we today call TMW be available in the merger?
Of course, yes.
veryape wrote:Will i be able to travel to Hurnscald?
Yes.
veryape wrote:Will the graphics be redone to fit with EVOLs style?
Shall be, but Evol's style is mostly just TMW guidelines just being respected.
veryape wrote:Will quests be brought over?
Maybe not every quests as we want to introduce a real game story experience while using as much as possible our new server software features, but a big majority shall be kept.
veryape wrote:why should i keep my lvls?
Levels won't break the game experience of other players, thus, we have no reason to remove them. After all, it will just take out the fun from the player that wanted to keep it, but if it is his choice, we have to respect it.
veryape wrote:Will i start the game on board of the ship as every newly created char?
This has not yet been decided, but it should be something like this yes.
veryape wrote:Will i get something like a petal to visit the Old World?
Why? We should keep a large bunch of TMW from our current world map sketch.
We just rework their shape and put some more love into it.
These places will be easy to travel to.
veryape wrote:pet a mouboo
I am really sorry, you won't be able to pet mouboos as they are no more wild animals. Instead, you will be able to mount them.
veryape wrote:As I understood things at first the merge would add EVOLs new areas to TMW and we would switch engine to EVOLs engine, this has flaws as all the high level stuff is already there in TMW and the benifits of EVOLs balance thoughts would disappear in the process.
Yes this is a real bad choice, and that is why we did not make this choice. Evol will be used as the base world where we will import TMW parts.
veryape wrote:And on a side-note I quite disagree with the notion that the economy of TMW is a problem because many are filthy rich (and yes, by all accounts I am probably parts of the upper classes). However when I started out i was not, I don't own one of the old accounts, I made my fortune from scratch and picked up rares along the way by trades and mostly gifts to be honest. Hard work, commitment and playing fair / being friendly got me to those riches i have now. New players have the same chance as me I guess - and to be honest now when i have everything I ever wanted when I started the game and saw all those fashion hats makes me kind of sad, now I don't have anything to strive for. All successful MMOS have people that are more powerful than others, that is the whole point of the game, to try and accumulate friends, wealth and might. If we try to design that out of the game I think that we lose a big driving force for pushing to higher levels and once that is done for more money. Some of the mighty characters and even scammers are part of the lore that make TMW interesting.
I disagree with you too. I have almost every items and I also started with nothing.
Although, the community was larger back in our days, now it is way more difficult to have one of these rare items.
Also, the gameplay of TMW is lacking some very social events like raids and boss killing. Imagine a world with more Illia-like quests, where the player have to team up to win. This is what we are talking about, we don't want of a Habbo Hotel game with hats, we want to do what TMW dreamt to be, a MMORPG.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

yay i will be able to mount a mouboo. I have a crazy idea for the and i would like to you to think about it (it can fits in the evol story): An intense glow appears and everyone goes blind then suddenly the it disappears. "Where we are this isn't The Mana World!!". Luvia appears and say: Welcome to the .... (name of the merge game)!! There world were about to be destroy due to a spell that i conjure. That spell give me the the conscience of everything that i did wrong. End of the merge game start story. :alt-6:
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

So here is how I think a possible merge can go:
  1. TMW/EVOL Goes live, player wakes up in a ship with no memory
    player has lvl 0 no previous items
  2. player does some quests, reaches a palm tree shaped island. player will gain some items and exp
  3. player does some more quests, reaches a port city. player will gain some items and exp
  4. after some/a lot more quests player will reach old tmw (hurnscald/tulimshar)
  5. player does a quest where he discovers a diary or maybe a potion to restore his memory. player gets old lvl back
  6. player does a quest where he finds a chest, player gets old items/gp back
This way both new and old players start equal. the old players eventually receive there old items/ gp, so they are happy too. By the time the old players receive their old gear they would be lvled up already but so would be the new players, making the difference between new players and old players who have there old lvl + gear smaller.

Personally I don't really care about lvl and money so I wouldn't mind if those aren't recovered after the quests. I would like to still have my old rares though. Also for me it would not be a problem if the old items have different stats.
This is not a placeholder