[DIS] Move the server to France or stay in Canada?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Move the server to France or stay in Canada?

Stay in Canada
27%
Move to France
73%

Total votes: 48
vadamboy
Peon
Peon

Re: [DIS] Move the server to France or stay in Canada?

Post by vadamboy »

i think france is cool and have good internet connection to it
abdoman
Newly Registered User

Post by abdoman »

vote to france because i had good connection to it from middle east and canada had bad connection to it from middle east
tlac
Newly Registered User

Post by tlac »

You can go to http://www.traceroute.org/

and do traceroutes and pings from various places around the world back to your computer. That should give you a better understanding of the latencies involved with a server relocation.

For me, my current ping time is about 100 msec, and ping times from sites around France are about 145 msec. (55 msec of those times is my DSL circuit.)
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Wow this is a strange result innit

TMW Team member

dragoon84
Novice
Novice

Post by dragoon84 »

isn't strange because Canada have the worst connection and France have the best :alt-9:
omatt
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by omatt »

Where is the Br community for vote to canada ?
The gap is surprising :o
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

meko wrote:In my opinion moving the server would only move the problem elsewhere instead of solve it.
There is no perfect solution, sorry. Fundamental reason is: speed of light is finite. Our planet is large enough. Blame Einstein, he claimed there is no way to deliver event faster than light. So if we have 2 players on opposite sides of the planet, assume signal travels around the globe at speed of light, it got ~20 000 km to travel, ~67ms one end or ~133ms 2-way ping. Routing & servers would make it worse. You could go down to ~12700km if you know way to push data through planet's core. So when players from distant parts of world meet each other, they're doomed to see delays. Solving this problem warrants Nobel prize in physics, as well as Faster Than Light travels and dispelling theory of relativity.

But I believe TMW could live with 150-200ms pings with no major impact on most parts of gameplay. Some ppl even played TMW over sat links, where RTT could be above 2 seconds. Ofc they've played warriors.
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Since we don't pay for the server as players I'd say final decision goes to TMWC, but since you asked, I might as well vote Canada since that's where I am.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Ledmitz wrote:Since we don't pay for the server as players
False! The server is entirely paid for by the players through Patreon and Paypal
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Paid for through contributions? idk who pays the fees, but i know it's not me. I'm curious on the cost now.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by gumi »

Ledmitz wrote:Paid for through contributions? idk who pays the fees, but i know it's not me. I'm curious on the cost now.
https://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtop ... 61#p152761 but that's not the topic of this thread so use the treasurer report thread to talk about money
Micksha
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Micksha »

I dont vote here, as I dont really care where the server is. Now I have around 150 to 200ms standard ping in europe (with bad connection there may be lag peaks of a few seconds too). But in the end it is easily possible to even do the illia sisters from here, although if one may have to choose a proper daytime for actions like that.
So please put the server whereever the majority of people thinks its best. Thanks.
Rikki
Peon
Peon

Post by Rikki »

For me personally French server location is much better, but that's just me.
Though I still think it would be slightly better overall compromise than Canada, so voting for FR.
4144 wrote:Canada: big pings for all except Canada and USA.
Frace: very good ping for europe and not too bad ping for everyone else. For Asia for example this is better than Canada
Ash (Ringo-Chan)
Newly Registered User

Post by Ash (Ringo-Chan) »

Actually in france is a good idea, i don't know how many lag can be here, but I don't think it's as bad as now.

So my vote is for move the server to france. (∩_∩)☝
MAF-Apane
Novice
Novice

Post by MAF-Apane »

The serv will be moved in France with the merge or before ?