Sprite Animation Editor

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Vasily
Developer
Developer

Sprite Animation Editor

Post by Vasily » 11 Nov 2013, 19:50

Good time everyone!
Due to some reasons we decided to publish the Sprite Animation Editor, written with GTK+ and gtksourceview about three years ago.
SAE allows user to edit text and to view animation at same time using local data folder. Also it includes features like grid, background tiles and character images, for example, for viewing chest armor animation. Of course editor supports real-time editing with XML highlighting (yes, it is gtksourceview-3.0 =D).
I hope you will enjoy SAE as soon as it will be published!
Reid
Developer
Developer

Re: Sprite Animation Editor

Post by Reid » 13 Nov 2013, 00:00

SAE is available from our official GIT on gitorious, thanks to 4144 for the upload.

This tool has been and is still pretty useful for Evol, it's not just an animation viewer, it's also an animation editor, thus the utility.
It's pretty easy to use, you just need to pre-seleft the clientdata folder, to open the XML that you want to edit, to parse it, and here you go.
You can play a specific action and direction, you can pause/play/go to the next frame/go to the next animation/etc...

Here a little example: (Sorry for the dark theme, gnome3.8 default theme alt38)
SAE preview.png
SAE preview.png (107.19 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Micksha
Developer
Developer

Post by Micksha » 17 Jan 2018, 15:18

Bump this one because I like saedit so much :) it simplifies sprite development alot. I wonder if there is any kind of documentation.. if there isnt, I may prepare a how-to help including links to the rules for pixel art (gimp), maps (tiled) and sprites (saedit) in our nice new dev academy.. its all fragmented and a bit messy these days.

Just one request, could you please provide the tag required in the .xml to add the playersprite? I tried with <player>(insert-spritename-or-some-path-here)</player> as proposed by 4144 but unfortunately didnt work.

Thanks Reid and Vasily for that nice tool!

- Mick
Vasily
Developer
Developer

Post by Vasily » 17 Jan 2018, 22:53

Hi Mick!

I'm very happy you enjoyed our editor tool.

To answer your question: there's special tag "<sae />" for a features such as player background tiles. To specify such background tile, you should place '<sae player="human-male" />' somewhere in the XML, I would suggest near the imageset tag. It will take the player animation from "races/human-male.xml" then. Yes, it is hard-coded (and I somehow hate that, though it was written a long ago), so if your player animation is stored in other-than-evol style of directories, say, in "path/to/animation/human-male.xml", you should use '<sae player="../path/to/animation/human-male"/>' ('..' just to leave hard-coded 'races' folder =D).

Also, along with the 'player' attribute, sae tag can have the 'ground' attribute specified. This is used for backgrounding some basic map tiles, I guess you can find them in saedit 'grounds' folder. To specify ground, just place, for example, 'ground="grass"' attribute in the sae tag. You can do it along with the player attribute, like '<sae player="human-male" ground="grass"/>'.

In conclusion I should say that I actually tried to rewrite saedit, my progress is stored in this repo:
https://gitlab.com/vasily_makarov/saedit2. Hope to continue on it!

--
Vasily
Micksha
Developer
Developer

Post by Micksha » 04 Mar 2018, 23:42

Thanks alot for adding the zoom function! Now its possible to easily locate single pixels and improve the spritesets. Keep up the good work!