New social media icons

Web discussions, including project website, forums, wiki, and others.

Tirifto
Novice
Novice

New social media icons

Post by Tirifto »

Hello all!

I saw that the social media icons (for sharing/following/subscribing) on our website are rather inconsistent, so I made new ones! They depict the TMW Globe (as seen in the TMW logo) with the social media icon on it, so they actually relate to TMW branding.
ImageLeft to right; Line 1: diaspora*, Facebook, GitLab, Google+, MediaGoblin; Line 2: Patreon, Reddit, Steam, Twitter, YouTube.

What do you all think of these? Please share your feedback and criticism; I'll be happy to improve them if possible. I'm also not entirely sure how the network logos and traced TMW globe can affect the licence, so info on that is also very welcome.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: New social media icons

Post by EJlol »

They look great. A lot better than the incosistent icons we have at the moment in my opinion. I'm not sure about the TMW globe though. While it does make the icons unique and relate-able to the TMW branding, I don't think it is recognizable enough (mostly because the social media logo is above it). Making it look like more as a smudge than a TMW branding. What about using the wooden panels instead? See for example: https://www.themanaworld.org/images/7/7a/Tmw_logo.png. However I do worry that these panels might make the icon look 'to big', and distract from the icon itself too much. What do you think about using these around the icons?
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

I like that there are icons for Diaspora and MediaGoblin. That is healthy to include the alternative share methods for the people such as myself who do not wish to use the popular centralized services.

As for criticism, These buttons should be out-of-view, small, and please do not ask my browser to run code such as "facebook connect".

The buttons must not distract the reader (as is the case with the wiki that requires a browser add-on to block the buttons and the malware that often runs when they are loaded into a page.
Tirifto
Novice
Novice

Post by Tirifto »

EJlol wrote:… While it does make the icons unique and relate-able to the TMW branding, I don't think it is recognizable enough (mostly because the social media logo is above it). Making it look like more as a smudge than a TMW branding. What about using the wooden panels instead? …
I like the idea. It might make them look big and it's unknown if they'll survive future logo changes (the planet, too, but it has better chances in my view), but it's definitely worth trying. I'll see if I can make it work; thank you for your comment!
bcs86 wrote:I like that there are icons for Diaspora and MediaGoblin. That is healthy to include the alternative share methods for the people such as myself who do not wish to use the popular centralized services.

As for criticism, These buttons should be out-of-view, small, and please do not ask my browser to run code such as "facebook connect".
I'm only designing new icons; I don't have much control over their functionality. The icons are scalable and should look good at 32x32 px or above. Otherwise I think that promoting decent networks next to the bad ones is the least we can do to better our practices. Thank you for your remarks!
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I love the idea and the icons, but the shape of the TMW continent is outdated. An outline of the new map would be more relevant to the game as it is now. If you have the outline on a separate layer it should be easy to swap it with a new one. (I'll look for the most up to date map and send it to you on IRC)

TMW Team member