Rubi/Rubikon account(s) recovery

This forum is used to deal with abuse in game - abuse reports, bans etc.
Rubi
Peon
Peon

Re: Contributor applications

Post by Rubi »

WildX wrote: 05 Aug 2018, 16:28 In the spirit of Open Source, any player of TMW can get involved in its development. Most of our greatest devs started out with small contributions here and there; many of them started with no prior knowledge and learned everything along the way.

This thread is similar to the old contributor shirts one. If you want to be added to the contributor group please post your contributions here to make it easier for me to evaluate the entire bulk of your contributions without having to track them all down. You will also be eligible for a contributor shirt and eventually a new contributor reward from the new server.

If your contributions are not deemed enough, don't take it too hard, you'll get there eventually. Every little thing is appreciated, but it takes a little extra to make it into the group.

Needless to say if you're already in the group you do not need to post here. If you don't have a contributor shirt and think you should have one send me a PM.
My name is there i contributed a time ago with bug reports and wiki translation.
I could ask you for a shirt.
Regards.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Did you mean your name is in the old contributor shirt thread? I wasn't able to find it

TMW Team member

Rubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Rubi »

My name was there arian.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Rubi wrote: 23 May 2019, 00:10 My name was there arian.
The only "arian" I can find is a banned scammer active between 2008-2013, if that's you this is ban evasion, if not are you sure that's the correct name?

TMW Team member

Rubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Rubi »

No i just wanted to know if i can get a c-shirt for bug reports viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19040.
Regards.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Is your name "Arian" or "Rubikon" then? Bug reports aren't enough either way, sorry

TMW Team member

Rubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Rubi »

WildX wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:04 Is your name "Arian" or "Rubikon" then? Bug reports aren't enough either way, sorry
Lol i have been reporting bugs for 4-5 years also i did many helps here since 2005.
But if those things arent enough for you everything is okay keep you c-shirt no need for it thanks from you.[edited]
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Rubi wrote: 23 May 2019, 10:22
WildX wrote: 23 May 2019, 09:04 Is your name "Arian" or "Rubikon" then? Bug reports aren't enough either way, sorry
Lol i have been reporting bugs for 4-5 years also i did many helps here since 2005.
But if those things arent enough for you everything is okay keep you c-shirt no need for it thanks from you.[edited]
I'm sorry, I was just trying to track your past contributions to see if you're eligible.
You gave me a name "Arian" to look up, which I did and only found it associated with a banned account from 2013.
You then liked a thread by "Rubikon" with some bug reports (which are always appreciated btw) that I was confused by since you haven't confirmed whether one or both of these accounts were yours.

I'm happy to track all your past contributions, but I need your help.
I need:
  • The names of the accounts who made these contributions
  • You to have access to these accounts (I can help with recovery of them if you need it)
  • To assess all contributions and see if you're eligible
Usually, bug reports and wiki translations are very appreciated, but the contributor group requires some contribution directly to game development (help with the making of items, quests, code, full wiki pages, client features, web development, music, etc.). Bug reports will still count and if you're a frequent bug reporter the amount other contributions needed is lower.

If you can help me track your contributions so far I can tell you either if you're imediately eligible, or if not what else would be needed for you to get there.

TMW Team member

Rubi
Peon
Peon

Post by Rubi »

WildX wrote: 24 May 2019, 13:25
Rubi wrote: 23 May 2019, 10:22
I'm sorry, I was just trying to track your past contributions to see if you're eligible.
You gave me a name "Arian" to look up, which I did and only found it associated with a banned account from 2013.
You then liked a thread by "Rubikon" with some bug reports (which are always appreciated btw) that I was confused by since you haven't confirmed whether one or both of these accounts were yours.

I'm happy to track all your past contributions, but I need your help.
I need:
  • The names of the accounts who made these contributions
  • You to have access to these accounts (I can help with recovery of them if you need it)
  • To assess all contributions and see if you're eligible
Usually, bug reports and wiki translations are very appreciated, but the contributor group requires some contribution directly to game development (help with the making of items, quests, code, full wiki pages, client features, web development, music, etc.). Bug reports will still count and if you're a frequent bug reporter the amount other contributions needed is lower.

If you can help me track your contributions so far I can tell you either if you're imediately eligible, or if not what else would be needed for you to get there.
I Might have a lot ot names or account im different but forgot it. I can continue to contribute Rubikon is good on that.
If i can get a account at wiki , i can help with editting wiki also i can help about mapping and with quests.
Best Regards
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Rubi/Rubikon account(s) recovery

Post by Hello=) »

Just found this viewtopic.php?f=5&p=158678 - is that really that hard to recover his account? Rubikon is some old player who definitely helps ppl to keep gameplay on server alive and it kinda sad seeing him to leave. Doubly so for reason like this. Is it way it meant to be? Or there is some catch?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Blocked Accounts

Post by WildX »

t3st3r wrote: 29 May 2019, 04:57 Just found this viewtopic.php?f=5&p=158678 - is that really that hard to recover his account? Rubikon is some old player who definitely helps ppl to keep gameplay on server alive and it kinda sad seeing him to leave. Doubly so for reason like this. Is it way it meant to be? Or there is some catch?
Rubi has asked for the recovery of permanently banned accounts "Jat Lee" and "Arian". These characters were banned as alts of "Salah", a known scammer permanently banned from all TMW platforms. These accounts cannot be recovered and by claiming their ownership Rubi is committing ban evasion as Salah.

TMW Team member

gumi
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Rubi/Rubikon account(s) recovery

Post by gumi »

t3st3r wrote: 29 May 2019, 04:57 Just found this viewtopic.php?f=5&p=158678 - is that really that hard to recover his account? Rubikon is some old player who definitely helps ppl to keep gameplay on server alive and it kinda sad seeing him to leave. Doubly so for reason like this. Is it way it meant to be? Or there is some catch?
Rubikon asked for a password reset and normally we would honor this request no matter whether or not the account is banned because merely resetting a password does not unban an account. I have tried sending an email to the email address associated with the account but the mailbox has been disabled by Outlook (aka hotmail, msn) and as such I am unable to confirm the identity of the account owner.

Searching by IP address doesn't help either: dozens of other accounts have the same IP address as Rubikon's. This would suggest one of three scenarios:
  • Rubikon registered a lot of accounts, all with wildly different email addresses (different ccTLDs, domains, users) and account usernames
  • Rubikon fell victim to a scammer, which then used their account to commit further scams
  • Rubikon is a scammer and has a bunch of sock-puppet accounts
Unfortunately, The Mana World does not collect any access logs and stores very little personally identifying information (PII) in its database: the only info we have on file for any given account is the email address (which isn't even required when creating an account) and the last IP address the user connected from. This means it is impossible for us to tell apart scammers and scam victims from looking at the database alone so when investigating bans we have to look at why the accounts were banned in the first place (we always make forums posts) and, well, ...

Annotation 2019-05-29 093815.png
Annotation 2019-05-29 093815.png (200.03 KiB) Viewed 3735 times
(this list goes on and on and on so I cropped it)

I'd gladly reset their password but the emails won't reach the mailbox and even after the reset they'd still be banned.
It saddens me to see Rubikon go but we cannot risk unbanning a (maybe) scammer, especially one as prolific as Salah and even if they get unbanned the password still has to be reset first, which isn't possible.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

"Indiscriminatory use of weapons"?

Post by Hello=) »

WildX wrote: 29 May 2019, 11:19Rubi has asked for the recovery of permanently banned accounts "Jat Lee" and "Arian"
Yikes!!! First name surely rings a bell, I wonder what the hell Rubikon got to do with it.

p.s. this said I find idea to ban victims of scamers alongside with scamer extremely questionable and unjust practice. Imagine police conducting carpet bombing of square to ensure Al Capone dies. While getting rid of Al Capone is nice, carpet bombing is not, so overall it hardly a win.

I'm not in position for judgement and do not know all details about Jat Lee, etc. But at first glance what I see looks suspiciously similar to carpet bombing (long lists of accounts + acknowledgement it hard to distinguish scamer and victims). This makes me to wonder if topic should sound like "Indiscriminatory use of weapons" instead? And shouldn't there be "innocent unless proven guilty" principle in place?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

If you are requesting a thorough investigation I'm sure the kind admins will indulge you.

If you wish to treat this like a murder trial, I will say in my defense that we haven't killed anyone so your bombing and weapons analogies aren't as effective in this context.

TMW Team member

ffddttyy56
Peon
Peon

Post by ffddttyy56 »

Salah is not the same person as Rubikon/Jat Lee