[LEGACY] Over Lv 99: The MAX EXP Question

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

What to do, What to do...

Poll ended at 12 Nov 2019, 00:00

Lower EXP table to more reasonable values
15%
Add a monster with more EXP, or an item which does that
65%
Do nothing
20%

Total votes: 40
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

[LEGACY] Over Lv 99: The MAX EXP Question

Post by jesusalva »

Basically, to go from level 134 to 135 you need the highest value possible in computing, 2.147 billions.

(That value is called INT32_MAX or simply INT_MAX. Computers can handle much larger numbers but not our software)

A few proposals were done, I'll list here some major ones.

Remember: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20394 rules

Note: You may vote in both options.

Note 2: You can specify in comments concerns and etcetras.

Note 3: You may propose level cap to be lowered from 135 to another value in comments.

Note 4: Voting Do nothing + Lower EXP/Add Mob is allowed and read as: Do nothing but if this does not pass, please do that thing instead of the other option.

Note 5: Subject to developers availability and etc.

Note 6: The 30 days stuff can be skipped if we have a clear majority and quorum of 15 votes is met.

Note 7:
Spoiler:
Apologies for being too technical. Here comes how I read the answers:
  • Do nothing: Do nothing
  • Lower EXP table to more reasonable values: If downvoted, means players want a challenge.
  • Add a monster with more EXP, or an item which does that: If downvoted, means players want a challenge. Also express that players want something different from what TMW has been offering them.
  • Lower EXP table to more reasonable values + Add a monster with more EXP, or an item which does that: Means players want a smooth sailing from 99 to 135

I probably could have replaced it with less technical options eg. "EASY", "NORMAL" and "HARD" where "HARD" is current one; That probably would also have made my life easier.
    Sorry. I think editing the poll options may cause them to be erased as a safeguard, so I'm not changing them. I'll add this in a spoiler tag though.
Last edited by jesusalva on 13 Oct 2019, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Be less technical

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: [LEGACY] Over Lv 99: The INT32_MAX Question

Post by Hello=) »

I think it in between "add monsters with more XP" and "do nothing". There're already some monsters that give plenty of XP (so one of problems been ppl reaching 99 in few month - so it is "game over" and player leaves), just spawn 'em from time to time. Though new monster(s) wouldn't hurt. Well, actually they should hurt... players... plenty, to keep some sense of danger and add some thrill.

Say, witch spawns hourly now and grants about 500K XP to those who lucky to shot her in some few seconds :P,. Not to mention high levels are not meant to be easy to achieve. It works like that in nearly any RPGs I've met, and it like that for a reason. Well, I'd say maxing out suxx, it feels like stupid artificial limitation out of nowhere.
mrpingo
Peon
Peon

Post by mrpingo »

Hi guys,

lets talk about numbers,

The relation exp vs level is exponential.
Therefore, relation exp vs exp/min is exponential too.
- Let a char player that is barely better than a 99 level one when leveling up (damage dont change too much past this level).
- 99 level char could reach (to a reasonable 30k exp/min alone, no pots, best conditions, crypt) a level up (100kk exp) smoothly in 2 months or less playing weekends several hours.
- A 99 level damned soul will take to reach a level up to 135 (2147483647=2148kk exp) at the same performance more than 4 years.
- A 99 level player will level a 119 char up in the same year, without social life (349kk exp).

Estimated reasonable best ratio exp/year in 600000000==600kk.

Even doing the growing function ratio linear we have to make ~350kk in a year for the last level, is still a challenge.
But oh! we cannot do more than that in a year because.. wait, there is Christmas event that levels you up if you are lucky.. so it will take 15 years to get max level.

Adding new higher level mobs enhance playability and improve the challenge and enrich the game.

The gameplay should be a challenge without getting rid of fun, so exp/min vs exp should be reasonably balanced. 5 more years trip to get max is nice, above 10 is insane.

EDIT:
My position here is clear, I want it as a challenge always, no smooth transition to 135, but I voted both, lower the exponential curve in last levels and add stronger mobs because both are good options for me to keep it as a challenge. So as an example, if you put some more mobs that increases the exp/min rate dont lower too much the exponential curve, if you dont increase the exp for the new mobs, then you have to lower a bit more the exp curve.
Last edited by mrpingo on 13 Oct 2019, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Archios
Peon
Peon

Post by Archios »

I agree with mrpingo, 15 years to get to max level is insave, it should take as max a couple of years.
If are going to add stronger monsters remember to set a minimum levelrequirement to enter those maps, this way only players with a certain lvl could go there and keep training.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [LEGACY] Over Lv 99: The MAX EXP Question

Post by Livio »

Why don't we open the witch cave with powerful monsters that release a lot of exp only for players with more than 95 of level?
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Livio wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 16:46 Why don't we open the witch cave with powerful monsters that release a lot of exp only for players with more than 95 of level?
Because Legacy development is hard, unbalanced and often unstable. It's still open source so volunteers are welcome to develop content for it, but the dev team is focused elsewhere.

TMW Team member

WarriorPL
Legendary Warrior
Legendary Warrior

Post by WarriorPL »

Lower EXP nad more weapons will be good! :!:
Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

Other games offer quests that give high amounts of exp but require lots of hard work, or even NPCs that sell exp points for a fair price.
WarriorPL
Legendary Warrior
Legendary Warrior

Post by WarriorPL »

Each level is a waste of time. I understand the difficulty, but for me to do 100 exp is 3 months of playing without a break. :oops: I suggest changing the scope of exp. to real values :!: :idea: