What are you using to heat yourself in winter?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.

What are you using to heat yourself in your home?

Gas burner
31%
Kerosene burner
No votes
Geothermal plant
No votes
Fireplace
No votes
Stove
8%
Rocket stove
No votes
Electrical heater
23%
Solar heater
No votes
Other system not listed
38%

Total votes: 13
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: What are you using to heat yourself in winter?

Post by Matt »

Livio wrote: 14 Nov 2019, 10:42
Matt wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 16:45 No, we simply to not wish to die from carbon monoxide poisoning :lol:
Any heat source that uses chemical oxidation reactions (burns some fuel) makes both carbon monoxide (CO), carbon dioxide (CO2), some nitrogenous oxides (NOx) and some soot depending on many factors including kind of fuel, burner technology and exhaust temperature. If you are worried about dieing poisoned you better use solar, geothermal or electrical sources (nuclear sources discarded of course).

A rocket stove is simply a vertical tube with lateral refueling intake that uses the conventional movement of air created by heat to sustain burning. Has this name due to the noise it makes. It's exhaust temperature is higher and it's fuel consumption lower than a regular stove since the inside airspeed is higher and fuel got burned in a more uniform way and in a slightly high temperature.
Since it's exhaust temperature is high some people use to install exhaust pipes diagonally around buildings to spread heat in a more efficient way and it's soot production is surprisingly lower since fuel particles that haven't combusted correctly got burned along the exhaust path. That lowers ashes production too.
Since it doesn't makes a visible smoke it's reported as an improvised construction of similar heating device even in the US Army survival manual (the FM-96-16 if I remember correctly).

The downside of this kind of stoves is that are not practical or even possible to cook directly on flames or ashes. People who use those stoves to cook use a metal plate above a shortened and enlarged exhaust pipe.
The pictures on Wikipedia don't like they are supposed to be used inside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_stove

Nobody in Germany heats like this. At least not without a chimney.

If you do, you would use something like this, if you like to burn wood in your living room

https://www.kaminprofi24.de/Kaminoefen/ ... -Ares.html

But nobody cooks on open fire anymore.

For the whole house, nowaydays you would use a pellet system like this

https://www.bertramwasserpluswaerme.de/ ... eizung.jpg

or a heat pump system like this

https://www.colonyac.com/webapp/p/218/f ... -heat-pump

But maybe I am offtopic :oops:
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Fireplaces with fans are quite common even here, usually in big houses. Pellet burners too.
Heat pump systems here are usually installed as roof or wall units with external heatsink but those are not huge as depicted in the last link and those are not used to heat water.
I'm a bit worried using pellet in places where air moisture is high but on that picture there's not a pellet pre-heater so it doesn't really seems to be a real problem... Thanks for the pictures! :alt-9:
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

A blanket :lol: I'm not a fan of the heat.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Chicka-Maria wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 02:49 A blanket :lol: I'm not a fan of the heat.
Do you live in a tropical country?
Chicka-Maria
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Chicka-Maria »

Livio wrote: 26 Nov 2019, 10:09
Chicka-Maria wrote: 22 Nov 2019, 02:49 A blanket :lol: I'm not a fan of the heat.
Do you live in a tropical country?
I mostly live in Canada but the past year I lived in the south west part of the states and before that I was in Malta to live with family. I miss the snow :( Hopefully I see more of it before I have to travel again.
Yubaba
TMWC Member of The Mana World
Leader of The Mana Empire (TME)
[19:41] Ladysugar: he told me to push a setzer up his rear
www.deviantart.com/comfycheeks - Old Deviant Art
William James wrote:Act as If what you do make's a difference, because It does.
GalebG4M
Newly Registered User

Post by GalebG4M »

Central heating here in Russia! But then I'm looking at these houses in Greece, so I guess I'll need a fan and air conditioning, and not heating :lol: but an electric heater will do the trick in winter... I guess.