Are AFK party members on follow can be banned for getting shared EXP?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

I'm not considering account belonging to the same active person but other party members who have gone AFK while fighting for more than ten minutes.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: Are AFK party members on follow can be banned for getting shared EXP?

Post by WildX »

This is one of those grey areas. If it seems like a calculated strategy to get free exp, yes. If someone was just getting a glass of water and left their character for a minute, no. I would say that it's up to the GM to decide. Generally if you're using auto-follow and there's combat involved you're probably guilty of multiboxing unless the GM decided otherwise.

EDIT: This is my interpretation. I am not a GM.

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Game Rules

1. Do not bot, this means you are not allowed to perform any AFK (away from keyboard) activity, apart from standing idle.
Emphasis is mine.

Note: I don't trust TMWA, but Evol engine will detect you went idle and exempt you from party EXP sharing automatically.

If you are sitted and sharing exp from party there should be no problem, though.

PS. I'm not a Game Master either; But I do stick to rules.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

prsm
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by prsm »

I don’t see this in anyway as cheating!

Each monster gives a predetermined amount of xp, I will refer to this
Now as 100%. If that 100% goes to one attacker, or is shared by 1 attacker, and
3 afk party members, it still will only be 100% of that monsters xp.

But if I a wrong, and more than 100% is divided up, it would be against the
rules. Is there away we can check that?

Prsm
ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity!
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

prsm wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 16:37 I don’t see this in anyway as cheating!

Each monster gives a predetermined amount of xp, I will refer to this
Now as 100%. If that 100% goes to one attacker, or is shared by 1 attacker, and
3 afk party members, it still will only be 100% of that monsters xp.

But if I a wrong, and more than 100% is divided up, it would be against the

Prsm
I know rEvolt gives a bonus for this (setting is: party_even_share_bonus). This setting doesn't seems to exist on TMWA, though, so I assume there's none. (TMWA only defines the party level sharing rule)

However, this can still be multiboxing if the monster hit the AFK player (as this may cause the 2x EXP multiplier to trigger). I'm not sure if this is multiboxing if both characters are yours; Rules says multiboxing is controlling multiple chars so probably not. (at GMs discretion, of course)

Unless source code defines something I don't think so (10 levels is a small margin until you are level 90, either way, and parties in TMWA do not serve their original purpose, so it is quite rare to see party EXP sharing...)

ALSO, word of caution. If the person you are following decide to AFK bot, you may be deemed to be AFK botting as well (after a quick search on Court House)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

kytty
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by kytty »

Any party member can turn off exp sharing by typing “/exp no”. I used to turn if off when my friends used to go AFK.
Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

WildX wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 12:03
Livio wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 09:47 I'm not considering account belonging to the same active person but other party members who have gone AFK while fighting for more than ten minutes.
Generally if you're using auto-follow and there's combat involved you're probably guilty of multiboxing unless the GM decided otherwise.
WildX: I already said that the AFK account doesn't belong to active players so I cannot multibox with none without having control of other's account.
It happened that I was leveling with both Gnu and Mifritscher. Lately Mifritscher was gone AFK for more than five minutes and he was on following, so me managed to leave him alone in Terogan's room to avoid him getting banned.
Aliytah wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 18:23 Any party member can turn off exp sharing by typing “/exp no”. I used to turn if off when my friends used to go AFK.
That will only exclude you to share exp. Other party members playing will still share exp with AFK member but they cannot exclude him sharing exp between active member until AFK member got kicked from party (and usually some player are not happy with that).
prsm wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 16:37 But if I a wrong, and more than 100% is divided up, it would be against the
Prsm exp sharing seems not to give bonus to anyone: if we are three party members sharing exp a 999 exp monster will give up 333 exp each.
jesusalva wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 16:57 Unless source code defines something I don't think so (10 levels is a small margin until you are level 90, either way, and parties in TMWA do not serve their original purpose, so it is quite rare to see party EXP sharing...)
I'm doing a lot of exp sharing since level 90 because with 105 AGI, banshee bow, potions and terra arrows I can help mages to level a lot fast as they help me survive while I'm doing a lot of damage to monsters.
WildX wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 12:03 This is one of those grey areas. If it seems like a calculated strategy to get free exp, yes. If someone was just getting a glass of water and left their character for a minute, no.
You are right but there's always a bit of chance that a following AFK party member can die if none can't heal him. I agree with you that's quite unexplored territory and I don't know why I'm asking this question after almost two years of active playing.