How to make game like TMW

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Terfewz
Newly Registered User

How to make game like TMW

Post by Terfewz »

Welcome all. Does anyone know how to make a game like The Mana World? I've been picking up coding and have a bit of experience with RPGMaker. However i have't been able to make game like TMW, because RPGMaker wont let me create MMO, and I know the basics of programming but also not sure how to attach "graphics" to code in IDE.

If anyone knows how to make 2D MMO game then much appreciated!
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: How to make game like TMW

Post by jesusalva »

Terfewz wrote: 27 Dec 2019, 17:07 Welcome all. Does anyone know how to make a game like The Mana World? I've been picking up coding and have a bit of experience with RPGMaker. However i have't been able to make game like TMW, because RPGMaker wont let me create MMO, and I know the basics of programming but also not sure how to attach "graphics" to code in IDE.

If anyone knows how to make 2D MMO game then much appreciated!
Writing a MMO is a daunting task. Specially if you write it from scratch.

Uhm, you're looking for MMO, so the first thing you should study is networking stacks and those other advanced stuff.

I once wrote a MMO from scratch (I'm still writing it, I love my little gacha game <3) with Python. All I needed to learn was sockets, TCP, and OpenSSL obviously. As well as databases. Took me a whole week. But the problem in the end is not even writing it: Networking is full of fails. A single miscoded line, and BAAM! Your game has been compromised. If you decide to add things from scratch, you're wasting at least twice the time making the code sturdy than making the code itself.

Not to say, you will also need to attract players. And you also have license and DMCAs stuff to worry about if you're not doing every asset.

Anyway, if you want to make a game which looks like TMW, you probably could just use the same engine (but don't use tmwa if you can avoid). Of course, remember those tools are free but they require you to release under the same license they're provided to you. Also, keep in mind most servers (including TMW's) doesn't run in Windows. If it doesn't makes sense now, then you probably never tried to hack a server.

Even my little gacha game, I can think in at least 3 ways to compromise the game accounts and/or player data. Cheating in an MMO doesn't needs to make you stronger than others; It could just mess the others instead. A moderator can try to help with bad social behavior and even with cheats to self-benefit (like the ones TMW had several times, specially GP/EXP exploits), although the later can grow out of control. But could they revert an attack? Nah, I don't think so.

TL;DR - Are you really, really, really sure you want to make a 2D MMO?
It may sound like a fun idea first, but if you're not just stealing another game tools and assets, you'll find out it is a challenge which doing alone is perhaps insane.

PS. Keep in mind we do a game, not an engine. So you're not at the right place to ask this :alt-8:

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Archios
Peon
Peon

Post by Archios »

Try the Godot Engine, it's easy to use if you want to make a game.
Plefulther
Peon
Peon

Post by Plefulther »

You can make both 2D and 3D games in Unity in C#. Unity is one of better game engines. You can also make multiplayer games with it. My biggest problem with even single player games in Unity is that there was always room for improvement regarding project structure, naming, code, etc, so I always started over. However its certainly great engine especially for RPG games. Here's good unity tutorial if you like text, if you prefer videos go to YouTube. I think you can still make MMO as beginner but i strongly advise you to make single player game first and to make it good because as I said, otherwise you will just have messy project foundaments, messy codebase and if you work in mess then all the work will go to waste.
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

TMW has been a successful training ground for many developers, I'd say this is a good place to start.

TMW Team member