Jesusalva's Glossary (unofficial)

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Jesusalva's Glossary (unofficial)

Post by jesusalva »

Just a glossary about merge and misc terms I use.
Their meaning might be equivocated.
TMW and Team-related terms
  • Evol - A retired server; also the base for TMW rEvolt.
  • Legacy - The Mana World server running under TMWA. Built in 2009 or so, I'm not sure.
  • rEvolt - Codiname for the new The Mana World Server.
  • The Mana World/TMW - The game itself; not a particular server or collection of player data. It is also the name of the association.
  • Constitution/Statute/Chart - The highest authority in TMW, is actually a forum post.
  • The Mana World Comittee/The Mana World Team/TMWC/TMWT - The board which operates and manages The Mana World. They can amend the Constitution, but are not above it.
  • Software in the Public Interest/SPI - Our lawyers and treasurers. They provide us support.
  • TMWT Adviser/Adviser - A retired member of TMWT. Still holds voting power but no longer actively contributes.
  • Sage Council/Player Council/Council - A ruling body established for Doomsday Event. It contains some ruling power over TMW Legacy during the event, within restrictions. Eg. it may reject Jande's interventions, but it cannot prevent Zax's attack.
  • Developer/DEV - Someone which is actively working with the team to make the game and was acknowledge as such. Usually also a member of TMWT.
  • Contributor - Someone helping us, sometimes a lot, but which we are still not sure about their long-term commitment, activity, etc etc etc; Or we just don't know too much from them yet.
  • Tester - Someone doing what Developers usually hate to do - See if the content is working before it is deployed to everyone.
  • Player/Adventurer - Everyone.
  • Virtual Machine/VM - Where TMW runs.
  • Admin/ADM - Someone with access to the VM. They do maintenance tasks.
  • Game Master/GM - Someone responsible for moderating and enforcing the rules. They are often portrayed as being above DEVs and below ADMs; This is because in practice, an admin could revert a GM decision, even if this is not legal and might result in the admin being kicked of TMWT.
  • Impeachment - An internal process in TMWT, where a current team member is kicked and/or demoted. Usually for abusing powers, like explained above.
Engine-related terms
  • TMWA - A clone of eAthena, made in 2004, and then extensively trimmed, purged, fixed, and tweaked until the point it barely works.
  • eAthena - The mother of TMWA (2004) and Hercules (2016?); A clone of Ragnarok Online.
  • Hercules - A fork of eAthena, actively maintained, up-to-date with RO. It have its own staff and TMWT has no decisory or advisory power over it.
  • Evol Plugin - Our modifications on Hercules, which allows it to work smoothly with ManaPlus.
  • Evol2 - The name of Hercules + Evol Plugin. (Pretty much the engine we use)
Client-related terms
  • ManaPlus - The client the game uses. TMWT has no decisory power over it, but it can advise.
  • Mana Source - The original Mana Client, has been discontinued.
  • Tales Client - A remake of Mana Source with C++ and Qt, used for Source of Tales.
  • Source of Tales - A sister project of TMW.
Fork-related terms
  • Moubootaur Legends/ML/TMW2 - A fork of TMW, extensively modified and running under Evol2. Its staffs are Jesusalva and Saulc.
  • TMW-BR - Brazilian fork of TMW, running under TMWA;
  • Land of Fire/LoF - Another fork of TMW, used to run under TMWA before merging with ML. A new version, with its own client and more cyberpunk styled is in development.
  • German TMW/GTMW - German fork of TMW, no longer runs; Used to be administered by jak1. (A fork of GTMW might exist)
  • fork - It can refer to a "local" work copy of TMW, or to a different server using shared assets from TMW.
Misc terms
  • merge - The action of bringing a game data to another. Usually it is a non-exact copy.
  • converter - A script which translates TMWA data into something that can be reused.
  • TMW Vault/Vault - The new account manager, which will take over registrations, password resets, email changes, and other account-related changes.
  • Multi-Account - When talking about TMW, refers to having multiple Vault Accounts (actually prohibited), or to impersonating/pretending to be someone else, real or fictional (in locations where this is a crime, we might be legally required to provide a legal accusation or witness report against you, so please don't)
I might add more terms to the list when I remember I actually use them.
I should sort properly this list by subject someday...
Things I remembered later
  • database/db - A file containing specification for items, monsters, etc.
  • Pre-Renewal/Pre-RE - The battle system from TMWA (before the edits)
  • Renewal/RE - The battle system from Hercules (before the edits)
  • git - A version control system; It is critical in preventing things from becoming a huge mess.
  • Random Number Generator/Pseudo Random Number Generator/RNG/PRNG - The code behind all randomness in the game.
  • binding vote - Any vote from TMWT is binding. While this doesn't means that it will leave the electronic paper, it is enforceable. (These usually become rules, for example.)
  • non-binding vote - Every other poll is non-binding. This means they are good to get a feel on what players (either all players or a group) wants, but is not enforceable. (For example, GM Community Suggestions, Feedback votes, Player talk polls, etc. are good examples)

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.