TMW Drawing Contest

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
mrpingo
Peon
Peon

Re: TMW Drawing Contest

Post by mrpingo »

High efficiency against vampires! xD

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Wait, wait, since when Zax De'Kagen became a vampire :shock:

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

That's a hard one to top PiNG. Very nice.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 17:04

That's a hard one to top PiNG. Very nice.

Yes, I think that compared to his submission on CRC's 2019 Drawing Contest, where he drew Tormenta, this one is much more solid.

Partly because the theme is much clearer - While CRC's contest was broad, “adventurers on TMW”, this one is very specific - Doomsday.

It is easy to identify Zax De'Kagen on the central spotlight, before your eyes are driven towards to left, where Golem is being slain by kamikaze players.
It is easy to see Hurnscald is in flames (originally planned but players held down the place so steadfastly, that I was forced to throw the XML I had written on garbage. Thus hurnscald never got destroyed :<).

However, there are a few things which could be improved.

For example, you will have a hard time figuring out Tormenta on the right.
The ground is also covering the wizard who is fighting Tormenta with a bolt, which draws attention to your color choice in the ground - it gives a faint impression that Hurns is flooded, but the other elements - feet, fire, etc - deny it.

There is... someone? something? over the roof, whose purpose is not clear.
Likewise, the wizard in front of Tormenta do not particularly seems to be doing anything but a game of staring.

(Although removing these elements could quickly make the drawing feel more bland!)

There are no runners. There are no bansheers. The fallen bull(?) helmet shading puts it in background and darts attention away of it - a clever technique, but even the fallen wizard hat has stronger strokes. For a metal helmet, this is not a good idea. Not to say that even players whom do not seem to be the center of the painting have stronger strokes.

However, you managed to get the point across.
Zax De'Kagen arrived to bring chaos. Players fight fiercely, but they cannot stop completly the impending doom. Which is kinda of what you would expect from "Doomsday".

It is true that compared to other entries, Pingo has an overwhelming superior technique.
But it is not only technique which wins the drawing contest.
As they say, there is also beauty in simplicity.

Therefore, I would not say that Pingo have won. In fact, he could get second or even third place depending on how things roll out.

Will we have new entries in the final hours of this contest, which goes until 2020-08-21 23:59:59 UTC?

These emotions can only be found here, on The Mana World Forums.

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

mrpingo
Peon
Peon

Post by mrpingo »

To be honest I would not want to comment my draw but I feel obliged to do it so you can really enjoy the scene as I did since it doesn't come from a movie or a comic. You have several pictures for a story, instead, here you have one, and everything must fit it (never draw nothing like this, my drawing always was separated stuff no coherence at all).

Hope you guys enjoy my pic as much as I did drawing it. I made it while listening to epic powerful heroic battle music to get the scene. I did not do it because of the contest itself nor the prices, I did because I like it, I love it and it makes me feel away. I started drawing as a kid but stopped 17 years till you did the other contest.

I love abstract painting because you always can have your own interpretation due to the feelings that it makes on you when you watch it. Making a definite-static draw does not gives to you any feeling, it's boring and dead. Can you feel the movement on every character? Dynamic paint is very difficult and never tried till now that I did for you all. I like to challenge myself and I have to thank you for that. It is not about the technique skills, its about the story you are telling, the technique comes with experience, so for me was never the goal, but it makes an impact on you (also me because I realized I could do so). Despite of all I want you to take a deeper look into it to feel the air flowing around Zax and many other actions that takes place and put it in one shot.

About the interpretation of the picture you gave, its your own interpretation and I enjoyed it but you didn't get it fully. Seems my technique is not that good nor my colouring skills (I prefer monochrome ones, but I did because of the perception, but anyway its not coloured, I just applied a general mask over it and that is it). I want you to feel really doomed when see it again. Feel free to listen to some epic battle music while do 8) .

Spoiler:

The scene I've drawn contains two separate events that gets into one when a further look is taken. Its a final stage, all-in bet scene, Hurnscald is already devastated, they are the last standing crew. Of course they had a plan. At the left you can see a Golem surrounded by brave warriors that give their life to save Mana World they probably seem kamikaze but their role as in game is to avoid the mobs getting close to mages and archers at any cost and if they fail, make him take longer to reach them. One of the warriors is flying away because the golem threw him away, if he is not already dead, he will be, the second one is already unconscious held by the head, the third one is trying to destabilize the Golem by the head so the forth can peform a "fatality" attempt. On the right the mages stick to the plan; one of them is almost out but (s)he still can help enchanting the arrow of the banshee (the bow is partially behind the bansheer) that is the last attempt to stop Zax performing his final attack dooming TMW. The helmet and the hat are battle debris.

Colors are a mask, I tried to give an abstract environment, the blue is not meant for water but for cold dark that surrounds everything but the flames.

There is no Tormenta at all in that picture, might you confused with another draw I did but she is not in there. there is no one on the roof but seconds later may be..

Its hard to achieve the scene from a point of view, select that "camera" is not easily done so everyone can get all the "panorama", that camera is on top of the debris of GM building, one mage appears from the bottom of that debris.

This coment is not for any other purpose that for you to enjoy fully the pic, said that, enjoy it.

PS: JS, next time you can set fire to hurns, do it, it would be really doomed. Save that xml file just in case..
PS2: Thanks Ledmitz!

PiNGo

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

mrpingo wrote: 20 Aug 2020, 13:02

High efficiency against vampires! xD

Raffe
Novice
Novice

Post by Raffe »

Final Image for drawing contest 2020 by Raffe :lol:

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

mrpingo wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 00:49

I love abstract painting because you always can have your own interpretation due to the feelings that it makes on you when you watch it. Making a definite-static draw does not gives to you any feeling, it's boring and dead. Can you feel the movement on every character? Dynamic paint is very difficult and never tried till now that I did for you all. I like to challenge myself and I have to thank you for that. It is not about the technique skills, its about the story you are telling, the technique comes with experience, so for me was never the goal, but it makes an impact on you (also me because I realized I could do so). Despite of all I want you to take a deeper look into it to feel the air flowing around Zax and many other actions that takes place and put it in one shot.

Yes, giving a sense of motion of pictures is really hard. I did not knew you wanted feedback on it - nor was my purpose to cover every single aspect - but yes, you did a good job of adding motion to the picture. Good job!

Zax do seems to be flying down to the scene, which is usually kinda hard to do. I certainly would at best make it look to be part of the scenary >.>

I prefer to look at your entries rather to make them myself :mrgreen: So I'll just comment on your comment.

The objective here is to be a critique - in other words, I'm not focused on how well you did, so please assume you did a perfect artwork except for the points I'm saying.

The goal of critiques (feedback in general) is to allow you to improve further. Others already said it looks great, but saying it looks great won't challenge you to outdo yourself in the future :mrgreen:

Spoiler:
mrpingo wrote: 21 Aug 2020, 00:49

The scene I've drawn contains two separate events that gets into one when a further look is taken. Its a final stage, all-in bet scene, Hurnscald is already devastated, they are the last standing crew. Of course they had a plan. At the left you can see a Golem surrounded by brave warriors that give their life to save Mana World they probably seem kamikaze but their role as in game is to avoid the mobs getting close to mages and archers at any cost and if they fail, make him take longer to reach them. One of the warriors is flying away because the golem threw him away, if he is not already dead, he will be, the second one is already unconscious held by the head, the third one is trying to destabilize the Golem by the head so the forth can peform a "fatality" attempt. On the right the mages stick to the plan; one of them is almost out but (s)he still can help enchanting the arrow of the banshee (the bow is partially behind the bansheer) that is the last attempt to stop Zax performing his final attack dooming TMW. The helmet and the hat are battle debris.

Colors are a mask, I tried to give an abstract environment, the blue is not meant for water but for cold dark that surrounds everything but the flames.

There is no Tormenta at all in that picture, might you confused with another draw I did but she is not in there. there is no one on the roof but seconds later may be..

Its hard to achieve the scene from a point of view, select that "camera" is not easily done so everyone can get all the "panorama", that camera is on top of the debris of GM building, one mage appears from the bottom of that debris.

TMW-Doomsday-contest-review.jpg
TMW-Doomsday-contest-review.jpg (606.68 KiB) Viewed 4490 times

Area #1: So, here is coloring to blame.
This might be the hardest part because your drawing is dichromatic.

Here is a chunk of debris over the person. However, without you saying "this is debris", it might as well just be deslocated ground. You know, when an attack so powerful is made that the ground shatters?
This is what it looked like to me. The reason is mostly due to color - it shares the same as the ground, making harder to distinguish. However, you got a good perspective with coloring. So the secondary reason is: The buildings in Hursncald are made of wood. Wood comes in planks, and when they break, they do not keep consistency. (You did suggest on your painting the existence of blocks below the wooden planks. While not true, this is artistically valid. These blocks would probably either break into dust or remain solid. Again, debris does not suggest to be it.)
ie. The debris does not gives the impression to be broken wood planks, or made of wood.

The third reason why this part failed is the signpost. The signpost is above the debris, which is ruins further the idea of it being debris. The wizard probably has been on the debris for pretty long.

If you moved the signpost to be partly below the debris, or elsewhere in the scenary, it would also have helped.

You put debris in other places of the picture, and one of the debris when zoomed even look like it could be where the signpost was. This is hurnscald, a town with known layout. You can use artistic license and ignore the town layout, but it is always tricky and it seemed like that was not your purpose. Why? Probably because you can make Rusty Pick Inn from the picture. Well, you did said you tried to keep layout in mind.

Area #2: So, this is a difficulty of the medium (forum post), coloring, strokes, etc.

Do you remember when I said I could not understand the purpose of the figure on the roof? This is the figure. Their head is probably down? I cannot make clearly out their head. Which is why I cannot say what exactly this person is doing.

You said they were thrown away by Gole, but because head is not distinguishable - I can barely find one left hand, cannot find right hand, and feet are not visible - they seem to be supporting themselves on the roof, heads down, looking at the scene below.

And it is because they seem to be just there, looking down, doing nothing - not even crying, and their weapons are not visible, nor they seem to be with killing intent - that they seem a bit off place.
And they definely do not seem to be flying. As I said, they seem to be supporting themselves on the roof.

Several things could be done. You could try to make them look to be in despair, but this is not the goal. They could be planning an ambush - but weapons would need to be visible and suggest that, like the warrior. And again, they could just have been sent flying. For this, ideally, you'll want to show the feet and hands. Otherwise, you might want to try to draw a shadow. Again, head helps - the neck gives a sense of motion.

Area #3: And here is were we flat out diverge.

The person in the area is using a robe - therefore, they seem to be a mage, not an archer.
The Banshee Bow is receiving to enchants, but because it is, well, a bow, it vanishes.

The result? Instead of looking to be enhancing, it seems like magic bolts. Which gives the impression that the two support mages are two offensive mages fighting themselves.

If one of them had a Pumpkin Head it would make sense ( :alt-7: ) but none do, so it would be safe to assume the standing mage to be either Luvia or Tormenta. Most likely tormenta given Doomsday.

And as a result, the bansheer in (magic) robes seems like a mage which is just staring at the other mage (Tormenta).
Did you remember what I said about necks? Never turn your back on your enemy (unless you're fleeing away). As such, it does not seems to be even remotely thinking in Zax De'Kagen.

If the magic bansheer (?????) had the neck turned to Zax, and instead of having two mages supporting the bow they were supporting the bansheer themselves or using offensive magic, or even just summoning (white pentagram) - probably the standing mage would be doing that - it would have sent better the message you wanted to give.

Now, going from abstract art to realism (well... sort of) is really hard. In overall, you did great! :alt-0:

The idea of realism (...sort of) is to transmit to the viewer the idea you wanted to give.
Unlike abstract art, where each one to their own interpretations! the challenge here is to make the viewer look at the painting and see what you wanted to be seen.

So, this is my review.

mrpingo
Peon
Peon

Post by mrpingo »

"Area #1: So, here is coloring to blame.
This might be the hardest part because your drawing is dichromatic."

-----Feel blessed because I added 1 more colour.. xDDD

"Area #2: So, this is a difficulty of the medium (forum post), coloring, strokes, etc."

-----This guy is flying facing up so you barely see the head, but you can see clearly the floor of the boots because you are actually looking at him through the "y" axis. hands are at both sides. Yes, its really difficult to see, I know it ;).

"Area #3: And here is were we flat out diverge.
The person in the area is using a robe - therefore, they seem to be a mage, not an archer.
The Banshee Bow is receiving to enchants, but because it is, well, a bow, it vanishes."

------Here you need to look at it with imagination ("out of the box"), if you can name an item "Enchanter's Amulet" (no need to blame me for saying this, I know it comes from "enchanter" mob that seems to throw arrows, but still ok xDD) and it gives you +22 chance of hit for DEX stats (eg archers/warriors), I can put to banshee a robe, a t-shirt or a pyjama, it looks cool, fashionable and it gives you agi+1, def+5 and m.a.+20 very useful for healing archers xDD. A lot of players have this config, afterwards its not a crazy idea, I use it all the time.
The mages can "Enchant" whatever they like, in dungeons and dragons they did it all the time and I never thought it was impossible, since mages are "enchanters" and it gives the scene a dynamic flow between the characters. Just let me the privilege of playing with that..

-----Also one is "necked" to Zax just because is the last attempt to do something about so it really doesnt matter if you are sit, fishing or looking at the stars, they is doing it as they were sorting things out xDDD.

"Now, going from abstract art to realism (well... sort of) is really hard. In overall, you did great! :alt-0:

The idea of realism (...sort of) is to transmit to the viewer the idea you wanted to give.
Unlike abstract art, where each one to their own interpretations! the challenge here is to make the viewer look at the painting and see what you wanted to be seen."

-------Consider it a mixed art. Open to discussion so everyone can give the scene the motives it needs. That is the funny thing, interpreting my pics are difficult because you have to fill the holes that I could not draw it, the brain does it constantly and almost automatically.

-------Thanks for you review, your opinion and all the effort you put into TMW, I am really enjoying it. I always take the critics to improve my stuff so many thanks for it, I appreciate it.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Contest is over! (I think kytty have an unposted artwork? Meh, I'll bug her about it when I see her again.)

And on a side note, Pingo, your art was featured at Doomsday Act 5.

Coding for DD5 (DoomsDay act 5) is complete, we're just conducting secret testings sections (NO SPOILERS) because it might be a tad......... too hard/nightmare-ish/insane/outright-impossible, and we would be discussing the final scene where

Spoiler:

We tell everyone a bit more about TMW rEvolt, like, preferably a date but perhaps we'll not be able to decide it D:
We're just awful at following roadmaps, which is WEIRD - roadmaps works everywhere else and for probably every TMWT member. Might be related to the TMW Curse.

...did I just gave a spoiler? Anyway! As I said.

Doomsday act 5 is already finished and we're conducting secret testings, so I hope to have it out for everyone soon™. Classes resumed here so I got a bit busier than usual, and Micksha have to travel, and getting staff to do the testing is hard, but If everything runs smoothly we should have Act 5 airing before Halloween (October).

.......Perhaps during Halloween (October). That would mark exactly one year since the first hint of the event was given.

Spoiler:

Protip: How are your Black Rose collection coming along?
I hope everyone also is stacking everything you can muster.

...There is a possibility of the Final Snapshot happening right before or right after Act 5.
This is not certain, not discussed nor anything. It is just a vague possibility so I'm leaving everyone aware beforehand.

Numa
Mana Minion
Mana Minion

Post by Numa »

jesusalva wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 01:00

Contest is over! (I think kytty have an unposted artwork? Meh, I'll bug her about it when I see her again.)

Author decided to stay anonymous for this picture so they are ineligible for prizes.
Image was submitted to TMWT staff via direct messaging.

Spoiler:
Anonymous Entry
Anonymous Entry
discord_image.webp (125.72 KiB) Viewed 4452 times

Good luck to the contestants!

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

This could be a nice picture for the doomsday if only had some flames in the background.

Numa
Mana Minion
Mana Minion

TMW Drawing Contest Results

Post by Numa »

TMW Doomsday Drawing Contest
Final Results

After a jury composed of NINE members of the team evaluating the entries in a lengthy debate which lasted five days, we finally have the final results. It was difficult deciding the top 3!

So, without further ado, we are pleased to announce the

Final Results

1. PiNGo

2. Myu.

3. Raffe

4. Livio

5. DeaDZONE

6. 0000000

Honorable mention goes to anonymous who would have won if he or she would not have not stepped back.

Note of Warning

Spoiler:

Place 6 (mostly text based) and 5 (most likely used stock vector graphics) might have violated rules for said reasons.
However, the team decided to let it slip and no one objected, so they're eligible for the prizes.

We're keeping the note here so people know that in future editions of Drawing Contests entries like these one MIGHT BE DISQUALIFIED.

Individualized Results and Comments
It is possible for every contestant to obtain the comments left by the reviewers, to improve their art etc.

If you have submitted an entry and would like feedback from the jury, please email event AT themanaworld DOT org. Keep in mind the reviewers names will not be disclosed unless they wish to do so.

Claiming Prizes
The first place should pick a prize from The Prize List and let kytty know about it (can be done by replying to this post).

Once first place choose his prize, second place will do so and so on.

Prizes will be handed out to winners during the month of September on TMW Legacy by the GM Team.

Thanks for participating!

Last edited by jesusalva on 27 Aug 2020, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.
mayo2019
Peon
Peon

Post by mayo2019 »

hi all.first as i respect all players and all devs that voted and decided the list of winners but i disagree with all of you (devs) about this list and i am going to say my opinion even i knew for sure that no one here on this game care about players opinions at all. i want all of you focus on something ( this event is about subject and what is it? (Doomsday) and itis not about who is the best one who draws something with paper + pencil .so i will say my opinion of list of winners and it takes only 2 sec not 5 days
of voting XD.
1-raffe (the best drawing of my opinion even i didnot know why mage on photo didnot try hunt Zax and stand up scarry).
2-Livio (maybe someone think itis complicated but its not and good of my opinion.
3-DeaDZONE=me(zax = 2 meters tall +yellow eyes +hell = red + all players tried to hunt it and die at the end of his strongest power) easy to understand even iam so bad at drawing.
4-0000000 even he didnot draw zax or monsters or something connected to subject of doomsday but he tried to connect doomsday with linux operation system order = sudo and i like his thoughts.
5- pingo even he is the best one with paper +pencil and he is so good at drawing but i didnot understand anything of his photo
even i stayed half hour looking to it and at the end didnot understand anything at all because of so complicated and even no colors to explain it.
6-myu whats the subject on his/her photo = nothing (just something stand up on photo we dont know if itis zax or player or whatever anything and no players or monsters or hell or anything useful even he is good drawing too.

thanks for all who will read this post or say thier opinions and players who knew me well ,they understand really good that i cant shut my mouse about anything on game i disagree with even my opinion isnot matter.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

mayo2019 wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 17:03

[...] i didnot know why mage on photo didnot try hunt Zax and stand up scarry.

Damn summoned pidgeons attack each other instead of enemy when summoned too close. That bug (or anti-feature) wasted lots of MPs and potions making players a bit frustrated about it.

Now my personal top 10. (If you take it serious you are not serious. If you are not going to take it seriously you better be serious. Seriously or not...)
1) Livio - The metal searching man is getting metal from what remains of Hurnscald. (An antique Sandcutter is good to show above your fireplace). However that man sold TMW relics at very high prices on ManaMarket and destabilized the new server before the merge. Depicting such economic sharks is perfect for a Doomsday.
2) Raffe - Damn pidgeons never get along fighting the right enemy after wasting 100MP and a mana potions. Depicting the sad reality while the Golem is about to turn everything into dust is a nice touch of style. If he has the beard I could bet that was Richard Stallman escaping from short-nosed tengus. The bad side? Too close to reality: palm trees are conquering the world without mercy.
3) DeadZone - All electric panels signs are now updated with Zax™ killing who dares to do maintenance without using proper protection equipment. A message so clean and simple will not be forgotten even by the worst electrician in TMW.
4) ksso/0000000/Anon/Dunno/AmIRight? - Image acquisition quality is not so good but I like the idea of bats burning things because the big one fighting the crime is boring. See 4 moar info: [url]http://crc.themanaworld.org/gallery_images/1008885[/url]
5) Pingo - For not using the sign as a melee weapon against living beings. The [Broken Sign of Doomsday in the Hurnscald Inn]™ is a rare item with Attack+500, Speed+200%, Dex+50, STR+25, Ads+9000 and Discount+20% during the weekend. A developer lost his job dedicating himself for such nice and powerful item. Livio at least dedicated a broken car hugging the sign.
6) Myu - Unidentified Flying Object is not holding cookies, looks cute without a reason and his intentions are unclear. Something getting inside his brain makes me think that's an alien or a remote controlled biological weapon. Too complicated for a simple game like TMW.
7) Jesusalva - Is everywhere.
8) Jack - Loses at staring game.
9) Inspector - He is not inspecting.
10) Old woman - It's her real name.
11) The ferry bell - Ding, ding! Ding, ding!
12) Grenadiers - Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding! Ding, ding!
13) Kfahr - Says the truth. In beer veritas™.
14) Ginosuper - We miss you.
15) The lag™ - The toughest unbeatable TMW monster.
16) Terranites - They rocks.
17) The Barbarians™ - They live to kill cute things like fluffies far from civilizations. Real men superior under every aspect and way taller than you.
18) ManaPlus - Can be addition.
19) AFK - Quiet and unreliable in the crypt if it's not a warrior.
20) The Crew Of Red Corsair - There are not enough N00bs in the game: it's their fault.
21) Rill - Not enough stealthy while entering an imaginary boat.
22) CTRL - Makes attack while changing virtual desktops for no reason.
23) Mobile Broadband (3G/LTE 'n frienz) - Not broad and not mobile enough.
24) George the Pirate - He is on the ground.
25) Khan - Saved you first and forgotten soon.
26) Luvia - A typical beautiful girl surrounded by bad guys.
27) The dock in the sewer - A nice sign of advanced technology that survived the earthquake.
28) Gunney - A honest man: needs money to buy a new leg.
29) Bug legs - Remains of bugs half-fixed. At least can give you some life.
30) The last entry in this top ten: The guys at the mining camp enjoying the sight of the desert - They play dumb if you speak them about white tubers.

If you want to get the prize talk to Mirak.