Hocus Ideas Thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Hocus Ideas Thread

Post by Hocus Pocus Fidibus »

Starting this thread as a central place to collect ideas (from me or others(i try to mention them. If they do not want it PM me and i will delete it)) concerning the game that i want to remember. (As it is only brainstorm it is bad formulated and not fully thought through and full of typos etc.).

-----
#1: All players should be able to see other players vault name so that this alt and name confusion stops and they are identifiable for each other.
-----
#2: For people who want to do immersive role playing (role playing by role, not by rule) there can be a badge to indicate it, so other players know and can either join or avoid to interfere with them (on the other hand they should not annoy people who are not into it with excuses like "Oh, i did not offend you, it was my black mage character"). The badge might also automatically activate PVP for them.
-----
#3 Brewer as new job (or (imho less interesting) ML system (give ingredients to an NPC, and after a few days you can get your alcoholic drink)).
I imagine like 10 types of beer (from blond to black, some clear some with yeast), different fruit wines etc., all with mild effects. Stronger effects when stuff is distilled (requires higher level brewer).
On its own drinks (other than beer) have no effect, but when combined with other dishes they can make the buff stronger or last longer.
Beers are used in INNs (additional AFK area, "Micksha: lets stop listening to the professor, lets go to a bar! ... that makes so incredibly much sense"): The more people sit together around a table the higher is AFK Bonus, but only as long as there is enough beer on the table. (Beer on the table vanishes over time and needs to be refilled by any of the players at the table... the higher level the beer the bigger the EXP one gets for being AFK).
One could ask players and/or devs to write (very) short stories about adventures they had. In game passing NPCs sit down with the players from time to time and tell story from this collection.
"the more drunk you are the more you can immerse in the story and the more exp you get"
https://gitlab.com/evol/evol-all/-/issues/108
-----
#4 Players can buy or make different musical Instruments and can write own little pieces of music to play them (maybe even synchronized with other players with other instruments). (Could maybe be a copyright problem if they recreate existing music?)
-----
#5 riding penguins down sand dunes in tulim as method of transportation. (livio and xarxas)
-----
#6 The player can mark the quest he is currently working on as "active" and some NPCs might give random clues or help somehow when the player talks to them or passes them (inspired by Ejlol)
-----
#7 To get player know more about local game history there is a wandering theater group in every town that makes a play about local history. The player needs to collect enough information about local history to help them out with facts in a quest. (Mick, Ejlol and me)
-----
#8 Mage quest involve visiting the magic primary school "Pigteads". All other pupils are little kids already better in magic than the player and making fun of him ("wow, you must had to repeat classes very often o.O").
One quest involves helping the kids to teleport the teacher into a nearby monster filled cave as a prank. As punishment the player needs to type the sentence "I shall not teleport the teacher!" (literally) into the game (standing in front of a chalkboard) (Mick and me)
-----
#9 Players who want to be pacifistic (no killing at all) can still do all quests (even the ones that involve killing) if the quest monsters do not count into the statistics for killcount. (flowers/plants should also not count).
Not 100% happy with this, would prefer a way to do the quests without killing the quest-monster at all (maybe party members could do it for the player?)

Last edited by Hocus Pocus Fidibus on 30 Sep 2020, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Hocus Ideas Thread

#10:
The grandmaster of magic can teach high level mages a secret spell (certain hard criteria must be fulfilled for him to even mention it) called "Cheat Day". Other then his praying for healthy food it is a spell that let Donuts rain from the sky to a large area around the caster (AoE spell). This Spells give a short (1 minute) great buff on many stats and/or a health boost (or something like that) called "Sugar Rush" but after the time is over it will lowers many stats in an anti-buff called "Sugar Low" (1 hour).
The spell can only be cast once a day and to refill it the player must do a quest every time (involving the Grandmaster, the bakery and quite a lot of ingredients).
Maybe the grandmaster does not care about the difference between light and dark magic - as it is not the magic itself but about how it is used - but thinks unhealthy magic like "Cheat Day" and "Four Cheese Pizza Punch" should be kept mostly secret.
(Jes, Mick and me)

Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

#11:
As such game economies need money sinks one could introduce a richness leader-board. Players can give excess money to a certain NPC (it is lost then) and it will be added to their score on this board. Also after certain amounts of money spend the player will get certain benefits. Maybe the community can save up together for some goals all would benefit. Some special areas might get opened only after so and so much money was spend (from all players) and the players that donated the most get a plaque on these areas as biggest donors. (Ejlol, me)

Other ways might be a wealth-dependend taxes etc.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

DON'T MAKE ME PORT MOUBOOTAUR LEGENDS TAX SYSTEM. D:

Really. (And yes, Moubootaur Legends has a tax system. You pay taxes on purchases and sales) My next step will be taxing the income obtained directly from monsters which bypass sales.

PS. There is a richness leaderboard, but this Halloween 2009-like idea is neatto :>

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Hocus Pocus Fidibus wrote: 01 Oct 2020, 12:24

#11:
As such game economies need money sinks one could introduce a richness leader-board. Players can give excess money to a certain NPC (it is lost then) and it will be added to their score on this board. Also after certain amounts of money spend the player will get certain benefits. Maybe the community can save up together for some goals all would benefit. Some special areas might get opened only after so and so much money was spend (from all players) and the players that donated the most get a plaque on these areas as biggest donors. (Ejlol, me)

Other ways might be a wealth-dependend taxes etc.

I wanted to apply a similar idea to open up places like Tulimshar or Nivalis. The ferry from Hurnscald would initially not be operational and players would be asked to fund the service. The specific story would have something to do with the ferry company going out of business or something like that.

TMW Team member

Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

I like that idea to some extent (as long as that is the "fast travel version" and there are other ways to get there in the meantime that are more cumbersome maybe).