Dark Talisman Particle Effect

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Dark Talisman Particle Effect

Post by +seeds »

I thought it might be cool if the Dark Talisman had a particle effect, similar to the one the Heart Necklace has.
I created this red bat, in the Halloween theme, for the Talisman :D
What do you all think?

bat_particle_effect.png
bat_particle_effect.png (533 Bytes) Viewed 4702 times
Characters: +seeds, +plants, +roots, +leaves, many others :alt-3:
Live long and prosper :wink:
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Dark Talisman Particle Effect

Post by jesusalva »

The bat is cool (not sure about Dark Talisman, tho, as we discussed ingame previously we have white mages to consider); Had it been submitted a month before, I probably would have changed the "/me hugs <someone>" particle effect from hearts to bats during halloween :p

Oh well, not much that can be done about it, I guess.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

There is a Halloween next year🎃 :p

+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by +seeds »

I didn't think about white mages not liking the effect... Definitely not the best animation for Dark Talisman because of that.
Could it be a /me evilhugs <someone> command instead of a Halloween special effect, though? :alt-5:

Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Hocus Pocus Fidibus »

Evil hug^^
I like that.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

+seeds wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 02:06

I thought it might be cool if the Dark Talisman had a particle effect, similar to the one the Heart Necklace has.
I created this red bat, in the Halloween theme, for the Talisman :D
What do you all think?
bat_particle_effect.png

Looks quite funny. Btw, have you seen my idea how I've seen Dark Talisman's "aura"? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=21111

I can imagine that bat can be nice "particle effect". Maybe I should try to match both things? Are these bats meant to be animations or still?

+seeds
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by +seeds »

The bats don't work well for the Dark Talisman as light mages might not want red bats flying around them.
Your aura, however, would be perfect for the Dark Talisman, it's subtle but gives you an evil vibe. :alt-7:

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Yeah, there're different "confessions" of mages. They can use powerful artifacts for all kinds of magic, dark or otherwise. So I've attempted to figure out something that could fit "mages in general" while displaying powerful&dark nature of artifact. I've ran with it for 2 days and had no major issues, most ppl said "whoa, looks nice" to my surprise. The critique I've got so far it somewhat resembles conc+iron pots combined. Weaker though, barely visible in Hurns but gives pulsating red-yellow aura in darker places that seems to be ok for artifact of this kind. Well, it 1st thing I've managed to imagine that would fit artifact nature without being too specific. Ring initially been still, but ppl kept telling rotating ring is more fun. If someone got idea what to do about aura, I'm all ears. But at the end seems most ppl are quite happy about it "as is". Hocus told it's too gaudy, but preview been intentionally made in darkest places of TMW. This glow barely visible in lit areas like e.g. Hurns. Another interesting idea I've got is to have option to get rid of item FX effect. That sounds reasonable (per-player serverside var to track effect on/off + item equipping script?) but that's kinda complicated and a bit over of my head so far.

p.s. I would be happy to try some FX effect with bats as well, that sounds fun.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

t3st3r wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 05:16

Another interesting idea I've got is to have option to get rid of item FX effect. That sounds reasonable (per-player serverside var to track effect on/off + item equipping script?) but that's kinda complicated and a bit over of my head so far.

Not possible at all; Effect is client-side (and item equip script is... well... peculiar. Definitely not the place to put special effects, too.)

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Basically server have to tell client to start appropiate effect. It can do it from scripts for sure, that's how e.g. magic works if I got it right, etc. Pots also do something comparable. Though these do in somewhat special way (what's are these sc_start things? skills?). But I can imagine it hard/troublesome and can have weird quirks so I wouldn't dare that as "ver 1". I only stand chance on smth like this with your help, I dont know serverside scripting well myself. Still, configurable - or even selectable - effects sounds ... funny? (and just another fancy hack, I've had some fun reading Zax code :P)

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

t3st3r wrote: 02 Nov 2020, 06:10

Basically server have to tell client to start appropiate effect. It can do it from scripts for sure, that's how e.g. magic works if I got it right, etc. Pots also do something comparable. Though these do in somewhat special way (what's are these sc_start things? skills?). But I can imagine it hard/troublesome and can have weird quirks so I wouldn't dare that as "ver 1". I only stand chance on smth like this with your help, I dont know serverside scripting well myself. Still, configurable - or even selectable - effects sounds ... funny? (and just another fancy hack, I've had some fun reading Zax code :P)

Actually, it doesn't in the case of items.

Magic and pots are not permanent effects either :p

sc_start -> Status Condition Start. TMWA has less than 10 conditions, Evol2 engine has over 100 :shock:

Also, equippable item script is very... peculiar, as I said before. You should never, ever, rely on the code being fired when you want it to - It will be fired multiple times, whenever it want to recalculate your bonuses. Which means you can move across maps and kill stuff and the code would never be fired, or you could change outfit and have the code fired 1000 times.

An alternative done with Scented Helmet is to use a timer, which is not a good idea either as most likely the effect would stack and stack and stack and look ugly, specially when AFKing :p

EDIT: and then you would become a Christmas Tree.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

1. In worst case of server-driven effect server may want to refresh effect from time to time. Can cause side effects though.
  2. Ever thought of coding some serverside "effects manager" that basically "hangs resident" and "applies effects to players"? (timer can probably do) :D Yes, that sounds like a very ugly hack and can get slow...
  3. I've noticed pots are "strange" so I guess there could be better ideas.
  4. I can imagine quite radical approach: for item X it could be like that: item X (FX enabled) and item Y (same, but FX off). Use (not equip!) script of X: del item X, add item Y. Use script of Y: del item Y, add X. Sounds dead simple. So using item supposed to toggle effect enable-disable by radically replacing item with all its properties, lol. Downside: wastes item ID, and I dont like small - but existing - time when item deleted but not yet created. But what a hack! Cheap, dirty - and I cant imagine why it wouldnt work.
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

I can - Equip and Use button take the same slot on M+ window.... :)

hides

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Interesting. I wonder if straightforward /use <item id> would still invoke item's "use" script though.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

PS. In Evol2, usable items can have multiple menu items selectable by right click :o