rEvolt Music feedback

All aspects of music, audio and sound effects development for all The Mana World projects.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

rEvolt Music feedback

Post by Ledmitz »

Reid had mentioned opening a post on some changes I had made on the test server to the music tracks. Rest assured that most all tracks from TMW and Evol have been matched to the best of my ability with rEvolt maps, so Tulimshar still plays "faith" and Ardits still plays "the adventure begins". On request by Jesusalva, I've shortened and simplified the names of the tracks. This is great for the @music command, but not great for preserving titles and authors so I added extra columns to the license file. I still need to do attribution parts in some cases, but I can so that all in one MR after music is settled a bit.

Hurnscald is one exception to the scheme in keeping things exactly the same, as Hercules server has the ability to play area music. The larger map still plays the familiar theme, "real", by Magick, but because I predict town square to still become a hangout area, the fenced in area only has birds singing in the background. Because of this, most indoor buildings are either quiet as I'm undecided as to what ambience or music to use, but Jack's place has a fireplace ambience, Celestia's still plays "despair" and I made mumbling jibberish and some clinks and cha-chings and added that to the bar, since the jukebox will be able to be used to change the music anyway.

Another exception is the magic academy, where I used an older, never used track (to my knowledge), called simply, "peace3", by Saturn. I matched the outer ground of the building and the indoors music, but when testing, discovered that the track restarts on map change, which normally doesn't for regular map music. It would be nice if this little bug could get fixed to make it sound a little smoother, but it is a small problem and can wait.

Artis had really nice outdoor music and indoors too, but the indoor music was also used on the starting boat, La Johanne, so I confined the music to the boat and made the music in and outdoors of Artis match in most cases to be more fluid, to avoid tracks starting over again. In some cases there are quiet building for AFK reasons. I feel the Library was a good choice, but the other quit buildings should probably have music added back. I wanted to make a simple ambience for the market anyway, which is also good for AFK.

I like the idea of having a quiet area that is easy for anyone to get to, which allows a break from the music, while still allowing to hear notifications and sounds of other types, while also having a similar area with only a more quiet ambience for simple chat or break in music without deafening silence.

Before you give an opinion though, you should really just test it to see for yourself. I do plan on adding more and some tracks have been reserved for maps we know are yet to come. Suggestions are welcome.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Re: rEvolt Music feedback

Post by Livio »

Ledmitz wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 00:37

On request by Jesusalva, I've shortened and simplified the names of the tracks.

As long he is not telling you to put the same tracks that TMW2:ML has, that's fine.

This is great for the @music command, but not great for preserving titles and authors so I added extra columns to the license file.

@music and @jukebox commands use a table with filenames in it and to me it's a good choice so players will not ruin their surprise by listening a track dedicated to a special quest.
In my opinion you can let files have any name you prefer as long npc/commands/music.txt is updated accordingly.
(I don't know if npc/functions/music.txt is still used or valid as example)
A nice feature missing right now is @musiclist since actually you must know what you are going to listen or else you got an error instead.

Hurnscald is one exception to the scheme in keeping things exactly the same, as Hercules server has the ability to play area music. The larger map still plays the familiar theme, "real", by Magick, but because I predict town square to still become a hangout area, the fenced in area only has birds singing in the background.

TMW2:ML already works like this and tracks are overall nicely despite Jesusalva's tastes. (Yes, Nivalis bgm in TMW2:ML still sucks)

Because of this, most indoor buildings are either quiet as I'm undecided as to what ambience or music to use, but Jack's place has a fireplace ambience, Celestia's still plays "despair" and I made mumbling jibberish and some clinks and cha-chings and added that to the bar, since the jukebox will be able to be used to change the music anyway.

Your suggestions are very nice. Archer shop, for example, should sound with woodworking noises like saws, hand-crancked drills and sandpaper. A nice touch of style for the bar/pub is Melinda dancing if you choose a particular track on the jukebox (that's a really crappy name however. Let's call it "Music Menhir" or something that a fantasy themed game really deserves)

[...] but when testing, discovered that the track restarts on map change, which normally doesn't for regular map music. It would be nice if this little bug could get fixed to make it sound a little smoother, but it is a small problem and can wait.

Looks like a problem related to mapping to me. Probably something not hard to fix.

Artis had really nice outdoor music and indoors too, but the indoor music was also used on the starting boat [...]

In real life, as you enter the building overall external noise is reduced or disappeared. Implementing such abruptly changes from music to almost silence creates the right atmosphere especially in caves or places where something dangerous and/or magic lies.

I like the idea of having a quiet area that is easy for anyone to get to, which allows a break from the music, while still allowing to hear notifications and sounds of other types, while also having a similar area with only a more quiet ambience for simple chat or break in music without deafening silence.

I've met a player once who hid himself in the woods just to listen its bgm (music repeating itself smoothly is very important in grinding areas too). Exactly the opposite of what you reported here.
Maybe a @silence command can be implemented since setting the wrong music file stopped music in my local test server/client.

Before you give an opinion though, you should really just test it to see for yourself. I do plan on adding more and some tracks have been reserved for maps we know are yet to come. Suggestions are welcome.

I can't say I've extensively tested that but playing on different servers gave me a clear idea that rEvolt is not good as TMW2:ML nor Legacy at music and sound effects. Since part of WarWorld's sound effects are implemented officially in Legacy I'm sure that you are on the right track.

Spoiler:

A nice idea would be selling an audio CD with all TMW's music tracks with a booklet printed on tobacco leaves inside.
That would be a nice present since Christmas is near.

TRACK LIST:

1. Dariunas - The Forest

2. Bartk - In The Forest Of The Birches

3. Bartk - The Adventure Begins

4. Banned4botting - The Adventure Ends

5. Arkim - Bat wings for breakfast (DJ Rubber Bat Remix)

6. Ezili - Ocean Sounds

7. Crew of Red Corsair feat Rill - Adventures on an Imaginary Boat (slipping on board undetected)

8. Jesusalva - Hiding (Game Master Remix)

9. Eric Matyas - Ghoulish Fun

10. The Exp Grinders - Killing in the Graveyard

11. Legacy of Doomsday - Reapercry

12. Hurnscald's High Level Players - Another Squirrel is Dead

13. DeadZone - Sale Menhir

14. Eric Matyas - Surreal Place

15. The Exp Grinders feat Crypt - Third Basement

16. G.I.T. vs D.E.V.S. - Push 'n Pull (and reset sometimes)

17. Magick - Real

18. Legacy of Doomsday - Black Rose (and black petals)

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 14 Nov 2020, 16:04

[...] but when testing, discovered that the track restarts on map change, which normally doesn't for regular map music. It would be nice if this little bug could get fixed to make it sound a little smoother, but it is a small problem and can wait.

Looks like a problem related to mapping to me. Probably something not hard to fix.

Actually, mapping is correct. It is closer to an outdated M+ playing music detection so, C++ code update required (and therefore, "impossible" on my book)

I've met a player once who hid himself in the woods just to listen its bgm (music repeating itself smoothly is very important in grinding areas too). Exactly the opposite of what you reported here.
Maybe a @silence command can be implemented since setting the wrong music file stopped music in my local test server/client.

Actually, when it gives the error, it tries to play the track anyway. (And usually, works)

PS. I am still undecided if my favorite are track 4 or track 7 from Livio's CD disk. Tough choice.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

As long he is not telling you to put the same tracks that TMW2:ML has

He told me to just go nuts, but I already am. I only used one track from ML so far; water_prelude. Used for ferry, when first entering.

abruptly changes from music to almost silence creates the right atmosphere

I agree too for important places and such. It could be tough to create ambience for every building, but it could happen.

I think you misunderstood. I only meant indoors in 1 building as a quiet place to go AFK, but if there were a command to toggle music, I'd use it often too. I keep bugging about getting a music toggle in the client. Could happen.

rEvolt is not good as TMW2:ML nor Legacy at music and sound effects

It was not as complete when you last tested it, I assume. I've already added the music from TMW and Evol to the corresponding maps and added all of TMW's SFX only now there's even more. If the same things sound worse on a different server, could it just be the ear of the beholder?

I love your list, but the tobacco could be a problem. XD

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak