Ingame warning messages

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Ingame warning messages

Post by Hello=) »

As for disabling atlases: it could hurt OpenGL performance. So it's debatable whether getting rid of (relatively harmless) warnings worth of it. Though it depends on GPU drivers details how badly it going to hurt, etc. And isn't it game content that actually needs fixing?

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Hello=) wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 01:35

As for disabling atlases: it could hurt OpenGL performance. So it's debatable whether getting rid of (relatively harmless) warnings worth of it. Though it depends on GPU drivers details how badly it going to hurt, etc. And isn't it game content that actually needs fixing?

TMW Legacy atlas file literally says:

Code: Select all

<!-- FIXME: this is getting very ugly -->

I would not really trust it :alt-8:

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Thank you very much HoraK. I'm investigating some client-data related lag issues which all seem to be from missing animations. I've fixed nutcracker issues and t3st3r and I are aware or the trigger issue in the Xmas chamber fight.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

I would not really trust it :alt-8:

Personally I believe in a way where bugs are sorted out. And hopefully it showcases why debug tab can be chatty - but so damn useful. How else you're supposed to catch edge-case performance problems, to begin with? Oh, do hardcore grinding in profilers spending ton of efforts with rather slim chances to spot issue? And how many of TMWT can do it, to begin with? Speaking for myself I've only learned rather basic version of these spells, debugging crap like this needs more than just that. So I'd say we're damn lucky M+ complains on potentially-troublesome content situations. Or maybe someone prefers silent debug tab - and truckload of hard-to-investigate performance issues?!

And I thnik I more or less made fix for faulty emote... but, damn, seems I reached point where I need to set up TMWA test server :\. Wouldn't dare to give untested script to run on production server. Have I told I'm utter noob at TMWA scripting? :P

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I just commented out "misceffect 10001, strcharinfo(0);" in "tmwa-server-data/world/map/npc/030-4/mana_battery.txt", but I can't make a PR because I have git issues. I figure that should fix the trigger/target issue without any real work. I also made a fix for the nutcracker lag problem but no one has added it yet: https://github.com/themanaworld/tmwa-cl ... a/pull/409.

These both cause bad lag and require attention. There is another in Illia regarding Witch Guards, I heard too, but I haven't checked yet.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Update: made a PR for the Witch Guard issue at Illia, but it's not tested since I can't just spawn at will... IDT, but the premise was the exact same as nutcracker so it should work. The Injured Mouboo proved troublesome so far. Everything looks right in XMLs. All I can think is M+ may have trouble with something(jak1 mentioned a possible problem). I eliminated lag at one point, but the mouboo was standing so that's worse in one sense. I may try simply cutting the frame and make a dead-mouboo.xml and then reference that to see if it will work lag free. Still learning as I go, but sure something can be done.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Hello=) wrote: 06 Dec 2020, 01:29

Also if you have whatever sound interruptions, stutter or something... whoever plays games may really want RT_PREEMPT kernels. "Normal" kernels are more suitable for things like SERVERS. I'm not really sure why both Debian and ubuntu install THESE on DESKTOPS by default, maybe to have like 2..5% extra in benchmarks for marketing purposes, etc. However, "server" kernels have considerable task switching latency and it really bad for gaming, sound processing and other "realtime" tasks. So you may want -rt kernels on desktop (linux-image-rt-amd64 package, preferrably recent one from backports, like 5.9).

I've got some stuttering when I've removed rtkit package. I was using Debian 10 (now I've upgraded to Devuan 3 and this kernel: Linux N145P 4.19.0-13-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.160-2 (2020-11-28) x86_64 GNU/Linux).
Maybe trying rtkit before (re)compiling may be useful.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Livio, there're many kinds of performance (and whatever else) issues you can have when it comes to software development :P

In this particular case I think it more or less like this: server requests to show some non-existant effect or so. Client attempts to find it to no avail, hitting worst-case performance scemario badly. And fortunately client is smart enough to swear into debug tab rather than just silently swallow apparent bug. I believe this not even OS specific, it's seems to be client-to-server CONTENT interaction fault. And so it have to be fixed in content and/or server scripts.

In case of rtkit... rtkit is nothing more than tool to apply real-time priority to certain processes. It's Linux-specific thing, got nothing to do with content bugs. In Linux non-root user can't apply real-time priority to processes. Well, because, if you do, you can totally yank all available CPU time - realtime processes are supposed to deal with real time, so they can't be interrupted. If it happens and CPU used by such process all the time, it similar to deadlock, since everything else halts. Needless to say only root got these powers by default. Realtime processes are meant to be careful of CPU use, to avoid this scenario. Normal user can't run processes with real-time scheduling, it would make multi-user concept a joke. Unfortunately, you sometimes want this anyway. Say, pulseaudio deals with audio. Should this fail to fit realtime, unhealthy things happen. That's where rtkit comes handy, it runs elevated and can both set realtime priority to few configured processes and monitors they don't go too wild hogging CPU (and reduces prio of offending process if they're gone nuts, ofc rtkit is elevated and realtime itself to stand a chance).

Long story short: understand what you touch 1st, delete/reconfigure later. Could be regrettable other way. As for -rt kernels, they are far more suitable for gaming, multimedia and other realtime-sensitive loads where responce time matters more than bulk performance of non-RT kernel, which makes more sense for servers. Most of time nobody cares if server responds in 100 or 200 ms. But if you get 100 ms of missing audio, because it kept doing something else for 100 ms and you've got audio buffers underrun - it entirely different UX story. Recent kernel is nice addition, at least normal debian got 5.9-rt build for sure. At least in backports. Because... in the end newer kernels have better pefrormance unless something goes really wrong or is a security fix.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

I wasn't able to fix the injured mouboo NPC without changing the frame to a normal standing one. Sorry IDK a way to fix it.

I also noticed chat lag from guild chat (minor freeze on every received message). It seems to happen worse with Guild, the bot, but still happens a bit with the built in guild function. No one has been able to say what's causing it, so far. Maybe someone here knows a fix?

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 20:27

I wasn't able to fix the injured mouboo NPC without changing the frame to a normal standing one. Sorry IDK a way to fix it.

I also noticed chat lag from guild chat (minor freeze on every received message). It seems to happen worse with Guild, the bot, but still happens a bit with the built in guild function. No one has been able to say what's causing it, so far. Maybe someone here knows a fix?

Wait, you tested guild builtin function? (TMWA has no such thing, so I'm wondering where you did the test)

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

jesusalva wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 22:47

Wait, you tested guild builtin function? (TMWA has no such thing, so I'm wondering where you did the test)

On Legacy.... guild chat works without the bot, but you see connect/disconnect messages. I have no idea what else Guildbot does that the builtin guild tab doesn't, but yes... it does work (though name colour changes may not show), but since I disabled it once, I seem to need to re-enable Guilbot almost every time I start the client now. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's what's been happening.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Ledmitz wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 16:06

On Legacy.... guild chat works without the bot, but you see connect/disconnect messages.

Don't you see the messages with guildbot as well? Don't tell me there was a way to turn it off this whole time.

TMW Team member

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Ledmitz wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 16:06
jesusalva wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 22:47

On Legacy.... guild chat works without the bot, but you see connect/disconnect messages. I have no idea what else Guildbot does that the builtin guild tab doesn't, but yes... it does work (though name colour changes may not show), but since I disabled it once, I seem to need to re-enable Guilbot almost every time I start the client now. It doesn't make sense to me, but that's what's been happening.

TMWA has no Guild support (unless you use a fork like brAthena)

Enabling guild bot support will format messages sent by a player called "guild" to "Guild" tab and mimic native guild support.

Of course, it is an external software with GM perms to bypass flood limits but it may still get limited to don't hang the whole thread if something goes wrong. (Probably, if suddenly you send an explosive message to guild bot and server dies you know the reason ^_-)

And enabling Guild Bot support means extra processing your M+ will do to track messages and format them; If you run in a weak machine you may, indeed, notice FPS drops while M+ handles that magic.

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

WildX wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 17:03

Don't you see the messages with guildbot as well? Don't tell me there was a way to turn it off this whole time.

Yip, but don't ask me where that setting is. I forget, but there is a post on the CRC site about new members and settings you can check out. Sorry IDK link.

jesusalva wrote: 10 Jan 2021, 17:39

TMWA has no Guild support

Yeah, you said that and I said when you remove it in settings, you can still see guild chat. Just try it if it's that unbelievable.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

I see no guild chat, Ledmitz, I see whispers from a player called "guild" (which is sitting on Keshlam Maze since I drove him away of Botcheck Area).