The Mana World on Sourceforge should be updated

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Cage
Peon
Peon

The Mana World on Sourceforge should be updated

Post by Cage »

The game used to get a lot of new players from this site, but it seems like the last update was made in 2014, would it be possible to update it here too ?

mana.JPG
mana.JPG (59.19 KiB) Viewed 3152 times

https://sourceforge.net/projects/themanaworld/

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Re: The Mana World on Sourceforge should be updated

Post by WildX »

Is Sourceforge still relevant? It seems to have been a delibarate choice to abandon it (https://sourceforge.net/p/themanaworld/news/) as apparently the 2012 and 2014 teams didn't find it useful. If revived, it would only be for crossposting news. I don't know if it will get enough traffic to justify the effort though.

I don't have access to it but I believe Jesusalva recently mentioned it among the things we have login details for in the keyring.

TMW Team member

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

Their algorithm probably ignored it because it doesn´t get updated

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

WildX wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 13:31

Is Sourceforge still relevant? It seems to have been a delibarate choice to abandon it (https://sourceforge.net/p/themanaworld/news/) as apparently the 2012 and 2014 teams didn't find it useful. If revived, it would only be for crossposting news. I don't know if it will get enough traffic to justify the effort though.

I don't have access to it but I believe Jesusalva recently mentioned it among the things we have login details for in the keyring.

Yes we have the login details for user "themanaworld".
But several projects moved away from SourceForge completely.

In fact, even FreedroidRPG and SuperTux (to name a few events) moved away from SF, and all moved away around 2014, so it is not a "TMW-thing". I guess something must have happened similar to when M$ bought Github and people moved to Gitlab, so I suggest more investigation. "It is not useful" doesn't seems to be the motif, after all.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

From my point of view TMW managed to have a good amount of players even without registering the project on any mainstream platform possible. As such effort will probably take away time from development it will be good only to attract people to play an old server and to give up a new, incomplete one.
And honestly, I wont take any TMW fresh forum accounts with few post into consideration too much since many of them proved to be source of complaints, useless drama and didn't lasted for long in game.

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

Livio wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 17:35

From my point of view TMW managed to have a good amount of players even without registering the project on any mainstream platform possible. As such effort will probably take away time from development it will be good only to attract people to play an old server and to give up a new, incomplete one.
And honestly, I wont take any TMW fresh forum accounts with few post into consideration too much since many of them proved to be source of complaints, useless drama and didn't lasted for long in game.

It was a mere suggestion Livio, I'm not trying to cause any drama :lol: .
I used to download the game from Sourceforge, I actually discovered it on that website and it felt weird when I saw that it was last updated on 2014, I'm sorry if this post caused any problem :oops: .

Hocus Pocus Fidibus
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Hocus Pocus Fidibus »

Cage wrote: 13 Dec 2020, 08:29

I used to download the game from Sourceforge, I actually discovered it on that website and it felt weird when I saw that it was last updated on 2014, I'm sorry if this post caused any problem :oops: .

That is a good point. Maybe it would be better to remove it from sf completely so people do not think it is an abandoned project when looking there.

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Livio wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 17:35

This is a very effective way to discourage new users and make these forum useless in the long run. Useless complaints, stupidity and trolling can (and often do) come from long time players and forum users.

All opinions are welcome. If your opinions are stupid we will be able to filter them out anyway :wink:

TMW Team member

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

I'd say SourceForge been nasty enough to make it into my adblocker. So I get BIG RED WARNING before trying to visit it as it's "malvertising site".

This said, SF still provides some extra visibility - and also apparently gave up malvertising habits after mentioned scandal. So if someone can do it, I think it would benefit project as whole, players community and so on.

p.s. and btw, 5 stars isn't exactly bad rating, isn't it? :P