Female character sits with legs spread apart?

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Post by AxlTrozz » 30 Nov 2007, 20:04

IMHO...

Image
Matt
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1746
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 11:47
Location: Germany->Bavaria

Post by Matt » 30 Nov 2007, 20:14

Ouch. Looks like that hurts ;)
User avatar
Strump
Novice
Novice
Posts: 169
Joined: 14 Oct 2007, 10:05
Location: Germany
Contact:

Post by Strump » 30 Nov 2007, 20:16

AxlTrozz wrote:IMHO...

Image

wow is good
:D
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Post by Saphy » 01 Dec 2007, 04:48

Ouch, broken legs.
User avatar
Jetryl
Novice
Novice
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 21:55

Post by Jetryl » 01 Dec 2007, 11:04

Saphy wrote:Ouch, broken legs.
Yes, that can work, but it requires that the torso turn as well. The legs also aren't -quite- in the right place.
Image
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Post by AxlTrozz » 04 Dec 2007, 00:38

well in fact I'm not the best pixelating chars, this is my first time, but I just wanted to suggest this position, please anyone (with more experience) can take the idea and finish the char
User avatar
mon
Peon
Peon
Posts: 46
Joined: 28 May 2008, 09:07

Re:

Post by mon » 02 Jun 2008, 03:30

ImageImage

I think any of these 2 would be acceptable. And only change the front pose because it is the only one facing the player. The other sitting positions seem fine the way they were. The plus side is, only one image would need to be changed per wardrobe.
a.k.a. - Achel
User avatar
Slave
Novice
Novice
Posts: 104
Joined: 31 May 2008, 04:15

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Slave » 02 Jun 2008, 04:07

how about sit1 for dudes and sit 3 for girls?
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
Vink
Novice
Novice
Posts: 365
Joined: 05 Mar 2008, 11:21
Location: Sweden

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Vink » 02 Jun 2008, 15:20

I think that male and female characters should not be too differentiated. It would be annoying and old-fashioned in a bad way. We are not that different biologically. Most of what people think is different is all about culture, and does not need to be considered in a game like this.

Many of the suggested "feminine" positions are not really comfortable for anyone (just as "feminine" clothes are often not very comfortable, I suppose). So please, choose a sitting position that works for both genders. :)

I suspect that making the female characters very "feminine" is something that appeals mostly to male players, whereas it makes me, a female player, feel very uncomfortable. Any differences should be natural, such as the female characters having breasts, and the culturally biased differences should be kept to a minimum, in my opinion, especially since the cultural bias is often a sexist one.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Saphy » 02 Jun 2008, 17:57

Vink wrote:I think that male and female characters should not be too differentiated. It would be annoying and old-fashioned in a bad way. We are not that different biologically. Most of what people think is different is all about culture, and does not need to be considered in a game like this.

Many of the suggested "feminine" positions are not really comfortable for anyone (just as "feminine" clothes are often not very comfortable, I suppose). So please, choose a sitting position that works for both genders. :)

I suspect that making the female characters very "feminine" is something that appeals mostly to male players, whereas it makes me, a female player, feel very uncomfortable. Any differences should be natural, such as the female characters having breasts, and the culturally biased differences should be kept to a minimum, in my opinion, especially since the cultural bias is often a sexist one.
I agree wholeheartedly. Which is why I don't like the "look at my groin" sitting posture that is appealing to mostly male players. Don't know why they like it, but it is probably a culture thing.

On the other hand, I prefer this posture because it isn't anything stereotypical, and can be used for both male and female:

Image

But until a general conscience and agreement is reached regarding which one to use officially, I couldn't really progress. Well, I can fix the shading and create the sprite for all sitting posture, but I believe the time can be used more wisely.
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Rotonen » 02 Jun 2008, 18:24

Well that one is the only one no one opposes, so I guess that is our choice?
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Slave
Novice
Novice
Posts: 104
Joined: 31 May 2008, 04:15

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Slave » 02 Jun 2008, 20:15

its comfortable, looks good, and is unsexist. go for it.
like my avatar? i drew a concept of old savior plate which is now outaded in a bout 5 mins. if you have an avatar froma game you would like me to draw for you give me a PM.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: 09 Nov 2006, 19:32

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Saphy » 03 Jun 2008, 03:40

Okay. I have attempted one of the side view:

Version a:Image Version b:Image

Which one looks more natural? Or are they both terrible? Is the perspective correct?

If only I have a character model with movable joints, or a digital camera, it would make drawing poses so much easier.
User avatar
Shaggy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 132
Joined: 22 Apr 2008, 13:56
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Shaggy » 03 Jun 2008, 12:40

Saphy wrote:Okay. I have attempted one of the side view:

Version a:Image Version b:Image

Which one looks more natural? Or are they both terrible? Is the perspective correct?

If only I have a character model with movable joints, or a digital camera, it would make drawing poses so much easier.
Looks like one leg's in the air in profile, but both on the ground face on.
Enjoyed The Mana World? Then check out Aethyra (http://www.aethyra.com).
User avatar
Black Don
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 660
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 22:30

Re: Female character sits with legs spread apart?

Post by Black Don » 03 Jun 2008, 13:47

Shaggy wrote:
Saphy wrote:Okay. I have attempted one of the side view:

Version a:Image Version b:Image

Which one looks more natural? Or are they both terrible? Is the perspective correct?

If only I have a character model with movable joints, or a digital camera, it would make drawing poses so much easier.
Looks like one leg's in the air in profile, but both on the ground face on.
To me it looks like the sprites right leg does not extend to being full flat to the ground like the front view. It could a little lower and longer.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Post Reply