Level up potion

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Cage
Peon
Peon

Level up potion

Post by Cage »

Would players be interested in a potion which would level you up if you use it?

And would be 100,000gp a fair price for it?

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: Level up potion

Post by jesusalva »

Cage wrote: 25 Feb 2021, 18:37

Would players be interested in a potion which would level you up if you use it?

And would be 100,000gp a fair price for it?

No and no.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

Maybe 100.000gp is too cheap, what about 500,00gp?
You would need 67,500,000gp or 135 "rare potions" (like rare cadies in pokemon) to get the max level.
I think it is a good option for players that don't want to grind too much or just to have another way to level up.
More opinions are welcome :wink:.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Cage wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 07:22

You would need 67,500,000gp or 135 "rare potions" (like rare cadies in pokemon) to get the max level.
I think it is a good option for players that don't want to grind too much or just to have another way to level up.

That's unrealistic, no one is going to use the potions before level 90. That already cuts down to 45 levels at maximum to use.

The total money of all players is hundred of millions – enough to all currently active players reach level cap this way and still have money in the market.

Money is obtained from drops, which is a randomized function, while experience is non randomized but optimized to difficulty.
This means money and experience should never, ever, overlap. Unless money was actually useful. But alas, it isn't. You can't buy anything you want with money.

Also, level 135 wasn't made to be obtained (originally, proposed level cap was 120, the levels 121~135 got in kinda as a joke and also to see how far TMWA could go)

By last, level 135 requires 2 billion exp. Level 99 requires 100 millions. Your idea already begins in the wrong foot, by assuming all levels require similar effort to attain. Note that exp gain hits a cap eventually, a point where your grinding performance cannot be optimized any further. That's the point where you are supposed to find the best grinding strategy. Your idea outright kills it.

...So nope, I would say zero chances of this potion ever getting in. Unless, of course, if you want to kill TMW Legacy. Now, THAT would be quite efficient at killing Legacy while keeping the server running.

PS. An alternative way to level up must involve doing different things, that's the definition of it. Buying drops or experience are still fundamentally killing & recycling. So it does not qualifies as an alternative.
A solid alternative would be quests – these require you to think, to explore, and also serve to adjust experience gain given from monsters in some cases and to inhibit the luck reliance (that's why monsters usually don't drop weapons; By forcing a quest upon them you nullify entirely the risk of someone having sheer luck or none at all).

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

+1 to basically everything Jes said. This just wouldn't work from a game design perpsective.

I can only see an experience boost/level up potion working as a unique reward item that can only be obtained once and is not tradeable, but at that point you may as well just reward that experience through something better like an actual quest or boss.

TMW Team member

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

2+GExp for level 135? I guess that higher level cannot be implemented in TMWA.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Livio wrote: 27 Feb 2021, 23:21

2+GExp for level 135? I guess that higher level cannot be implemented in TMWA.

You are correct; That is the limit of TMWA :alt-3:

Evol2 servers however proved it can be pushed to 999, but stat points will break way before that.

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

jesusalva wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 12:19
Cage wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 07:22

That's unrealistic, no one is going to use the potions before level 90. That already cuts down to 45 levels at maximum to use.

The total money of all players is hundred of millions – enough to all currently active players reach level cap this way and still have money in the market.

Money is obtained from drops, which is a randomized function, while experience is non randomized but optimized to difficulty.
This means money and experience should never, ever, overlap. Unless money was actually useful. But alas, it isn't. You can't buy anything you want with money.

Also, level 135 wasn't made to be obtained (originally, proposed level cap was 120, the levels 121135 got in kinda as a joke and also to see how far TMWA could go)

By last, level 135 requires 2 billion exp. Level 99 requires 100 millions. Your idea already begins in the wrong foot, by assuming all levels require similar effort to attain. Note that exp gain hits a cap eventually, a point where your grinding performance cannot be optimized any further. That's the point where you are supposed to find the best grinding strategy. Your idea outright kills it.

...So nope, I would say zero chances of this potion ever getting in. Unless, of course, if you want to kill TMW Legacy. Now, THAT would be quite efficient at killing Legacy while keeping the server running.

PS. An alternative way to level up must involve doing different things, that's the definition of it. Buying drops or experience are still fundamentally killing & recycling. So it does not qualifies as an alternative.
A solid alternative would be quests – these require you to think, to explore, and also serve to adjust experience gain given from monsters in some cases and to inhibit the luck reliance (that's why monsters usually don't drop weapons; By forcing a quest upon them you nullify entirely the risk of someone having sheer luck or none at all).

You are right Jesus, players would exploit to get to the max level.
Another option would be a shop to exchange GP for exp points (1gp = 1 exp point).
Players now need a better places to farm exp, the Crypt should be a good place for players to get exp, but I dont think anyone can get at least 100k exp points per minute over there alone. So maybe it could be a good place to have a look on, maybe increase the exp in that map, or the exp given by the skeletons on that map.

I did some testing, as an acrher with a banshee bow and terranite arrows I was making up to 70k exp points per minute in the Crypt, with a level 120 player.

I believe that's too low, players hit a very big wall once they reach levels greater than 100.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Crypt is not meant for players above level 100.
That's what the swamps are for.

Cage
Peon
Peon

Post by Cage »

jesusalva wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 01:14

Crypt takes the little old players to a very far place inaccesible for new players where they cant socialize etc.
I wonder if maybe making some sort of a new dungeon, maybe under Candor, a high level dungeon for high level players, new players could go inside too and watch the stronger players fight, i think this used too happen on the old Tulimshar map when scoprions and slimes used to spawn right under the entrance to Tulimshar and players use to hand out close to the Soul Menhir.

Something similar was done with Hurnscald too, you've got the northern mines where low level players tend to go for iron ores and red slime drops.

But it feels like the bigger the map is, the more isolated players become and it becomes harder to meet someone casually playing or travelling around.

Bigger maps doesnt mean a better gameplay, just have a look at Nivalis, nobody visits it or the Crypt its empty even on weekends.

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Cage wrote: 09 Mar 2021, 11:56
jesusalva wrote: 03 Mar 2021, 01:14

Crypt takes the little old players to a very far place inaccesible for new players where they cant socialize etc.

I'm not feeling so "social" when I have to grind the hell out of crypt. You can always send a private message and you will get ignored in the worst case.

I wonder if maybe making some sort of a new dungeon, maybe under Candor, a high level dungeon for high level players, new players could go inside too and watch the stronger players fight, i think this used too happen on the old Tulimshar map when scoprions and slimes used to spawn right under the entrance to Tulimshar and players use to hand out close to the Soul Menhir.
Something similar was done with Hurnscald too, you've got the northern mines where low level players tend to go for iron ores and red slime drops.

I don't see what's the point of concentrating too much people in a the same place. We got Candor cave for that.
Instead of making a new map on a deprecated server, maybe increasing difficulty on existing Candor cave could do the trick.

But it feels like the bigger the map is, the more isolated players become and it becomes harder to meet someone casually playing or travelling around.

Legacy lacks the #world tab to communicate with everyone in game. Easy exploring is damn boring, TMW Legacy isn't so big when you level a lot and low level players can't really go everywhere they want.

Bigger maps doesnt mean a better gameplay, just have a look at Nivalis, nobody visits it or the Crypt its empty even on weekends.

Who said that?