[WIP] The Dimonds Cove Revamp Project.

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Merlin
Developer
Developer

[WIP] The Dimonds Cove Revamp Project.

Post by Merlin »

With the finishing of my Woodland Inn set I've started to remap the cove. This is something that is a very dear part of my work in TMW that I will finally be able to create to the extent I really wanted to but was limited at the time. In my madness I also expanded the map. Hurnsclad was always just a small town. It seemed to lack the power and government of Tulsimar. I came up with an idea to create what I call "Hurnsclad Keep". The story goes like this....

Since the increased commercial traffic by the cove and mines the community established a local guard comprised of mana-beings of different abilities. You have your Fighters, Archers and Mages working together to provide safety and security to the region. Tasks are given on the local board that can be completed daily. The tasks are broken down into level ranges for completion and rewards. I was also think of have quests from the respective militia groups. This would created what would be effectively known as a daily quest hub. This is something done in many RPGs to give enough quests to do instead of one time quests. While there are at least 2 daily repeatable quests that I know of they don't really amount to much. I don't know when we got the ability to do daily quests but Doug in the cove was initially a one time quest and well as the bug leg boy.

...I need to refresh myself on the lore of the region. Perhaps WildX can give me a little more info. Who is the governed body of Hurnsclad anyway? There's a town hall but I don't see any larger form of government. Originally there was plans for a larger port city to the north.
I would love to undertake building a large new city with a big fancy castle instead of this simple keep but would be a much LARGER project then I intend to do. (Oscars farm really was intended as a placeholder waiting on irukards set to be finished and was going to be Hurnsclad keep but I don't know if I could evict the guy after this long.)

The map features Irukards block wall set in it's original form and uses tiles while included in the data are not used yet. I have also made and edited an extensive amount of tiles to make this feel like something truly new to the game.

I would also like to get some ideas on what we could add to this revamp. This could be chance to work something into the game we have already and I don't know about since I don't really play anymore.

I guess I'm going about making an expansion for classic how about naming it "TMW Classic:Hunscald People's Militia"

HunscladKeep.JPG
HunscladKeep.JPG (250.9 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
dimondscoverevamp-outside.JPG
dimondscoverevamp-outside.JPG (276.08 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
dimondscoverevamp-firsttwofloors.JPG
dimondscoverevamp-firsttwofloors.JPG (78.19 KiB) Viewed 6054 times
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [MAP] The Dimonds Cove Revamp Project.

Post by jesusalva »

Evicting Oscar do sound like a challenge. But Moubootaur Legends always had a castle to the west of Hurnscald... This should not be entirely impossible.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Looks really gorgeous but if this to go to Classic I'd suggest to add time traveller who would showcase old version of Cove as well?

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

that could be done. I'm not sure how to spin it game wise and what the technical implementations will be. I'll go over that possibility with the other dev to gauge the feasibility of it.

MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Oscar belongs up in the farmlands anyway. even Hinnak for that matter.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Livio
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Livio »

Well, I don't really like the writing "Dimond's Cove" like that as it doesn't really have the same feel of ancient wooden buildings but overall it looks cool.
Will the guys at the cellar keep digging?

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

I always thought the map would be more interesting if Dimond's Cove had something next to it on the other side of the river. I would incorporate a keep by extending the pier into a bridge and putting the keep on the other side. It then also makes more sense why there is a giant inn seemingly in the middle of nowhere. This also preserves the current layout by simply extending in what is right now just generic unreachable woodland.

TMW Team member

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Re: [WIP] The Dimonds Cove Revamp Project.

Post by Merlin »

WildX wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 23:39

I always thought the map would be more interesting if Dimond's Cove had something next to it on the other side of the river. I would incorporate a keep by extending the pier into a bridge and putting the keep on the other side. It then also makes more sense why there is a giant inn seemingly in the middle of nowhere. This also preserves the current layout by simply extending in what is right now just generic unreachable woodland.

That could be a possible better location then right next to the cove where I have it. Granted I would have to remap the whole thing. I really didn't think about that and went all in on one map. I thought I might over do it if I had more room to work with. That could be a GOOD location for the bandit camps since it would be close to raid traffic related to the cove.

Livio wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 23:02

Well, I don't really like the writing "Dimond's Cove" like that as it doesn't really have the same feel of ancient wooden buildings but overall it looks cool.
Will the guys at the cellar keep digging?

I don't either and I was going to try and do a proper sign but got lazy at the end. Let's consider it more of a place holder for now.
I think they will break down into the next level. Cave with some interior lower foundation. I'm thinking another basement level that opens up into the a cave. (What could we do here? This would an excellent area for something new. "What buried secrets awake underneath the cove in TMW:Classic- The Hurnsclad Militia Expansion"

MerlinX420
WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

Merlin wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:31

Granted I would have to remap the whole thing. I really didn't think about that and went all in on one map.

Why would you need to remap it? It looks like a pretty self-contained map that can be relocated easily.

I think the location is extremely important especially for something that would change the current map layout. As I said many times, I'm usually opposed to making changes to existing content without too much thought as it's stuff that has proven to work being replaced with untested changes. If you didn't think much about the right location, then an existing map is not the right location IMO, especially when this can all fit in unused map space.

TMW Team member

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

WildX wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 12:23

Why would you need to remap it? It looks like a pretty self-contained map that can be relocated easily.

Tilesets and such can make a big pain, if he's trying to incorporate some of the current maps features(would mean a lot of importing and ditching tilesets), but I can easily see a farmer getting displaced for some govt building. Its not nice, but it happens in RL often enough.
There is a lot of land East of Dimond's closer to town too. A keep would be close to town, I would think. Would be tough to justify one beyond Dimond's Cove into the rest of West Argaes...? Hurnscald is very keep-like itself. I guess I don't care that much, but if we stick with a less work solution, then other things can get done faster too and even if the keep goes on Oscar's land, Oscar would then be moved somewhere, so IDK if it even makes a difference, does it?
EDIT: OR... Oscar can become very involved with the keep somehow? Maybe a grocer. He was already selling fruit there. Why even move him?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Merlin
Developer
Developer

Post by Merlin »

WildX wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 12:23
Merlin wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 07:31

Granted I would have to remap the whole thing. I really didn't think about that and went all in on one map.

I think the location is extremely important especially for something that would change the current map layout. As I said many times, I'm usually opposed to making changes to existing content without too much thought as it's stuff that has proven to work being replaced with untested changes. If you didn't think much about the right location, then an existing map is not the right location IMO, especially when this can all fit in unused map space.

Right now it's on the same map as the cove. This is just a small outpost if I were to make something elsewhere I could expand it a little. I had a rough plan on what I was going to do Oscar's space. I think the main thing I need to decide is the location of the bandit camp. I'm guess to the south and or west of the cove would be the ideal spot.

I'll get to this more once I get the whole temple mess I've been handed taken care of.

MerlinX420