[ANNOUNCEMENT] GitHub Mirror

Content and general development discussion for Source of Mana.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

[ANNOUNCEMENT] GitHub Mirror

Post by Reid »

We are now mirroring all of the game development from GitLab to GitHub.
Production, issues and future milestones will remain on GitLab for now, it should be decided whether we should move to GitHub or GitLab based on the popularity from both of our repositories a bit later this year!

https://github.com/sourceofmana/sourceofmana

On the meanwhile, let's just spread ourself. :D

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] GitHub Mirror

Post by ThinkSome »

Is there a reason why you are not using TMW GitLab? (git.themanaworld.org)?

I would also like to warn and complain about the centralisation around GitHub. I do not like seeing free culture projects using and promoting a fully proprietary host such as GitHub instead of working together and thus helping to support other free culture communities around Forgejo/Gitea/Gogs/Sourcehut such as codeberg.org (run by a non-profit), notabug.org, sr.ht, ...

Every for-profit forge in my memory has pulled moves hostile to its users. Sourceforge adware, Gitlab account limits, Github CoPilot, google code closing down with no option to self-host, Gitorious being bought out and closed down by GitLab...

WildX
Source of Mana
Source of Mana

Post by WildX »

We started on GitLab about two weeks before the rest of TMW projects were moved to our private instance. We remained on GitLab because we don't have a compelling reason to move right now.

Developing is hard enough without self-limiting with zealous boycotting of this and that platform. We use what works and what serves us best at any given time.

TMW Team member

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

Gitlab was where Evol and then TMW were for quite some time so it was a natural choice for me to continue to use it, GitHub is where Tiled and Godot are.
I mirrored to GitHub also to have a better referencing of our code and to easily reference some issues on Godot and Tiled.

As WildX said, game development and even more a FLOSS game development is very difficult so whenever we can use miro, discord, gitlab/github or any other non-emacs softwares we will continue to do so.

-- Ford Prefect
ThinkSome
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by ThinkSome »

WildX, Reid: the second part of my post gives a rational reason why to not depend on for-profit & proprietary forges. If that is not enough, I here present another reason to use a self-hosted forge:

A self-hosted forge like TMW GitLab could allow players to use the same account to also access the forge, removing a barrier to entry. It would also allow them to make reports straight from a NPC (some limited form of this is already possible, but would require a dedicated bug-reporting account).

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Reporting bugs ingame is trivial, and is actually possible even in TMW Classic after HoraK built support to Mirror Lake into it.

Single Login is the long term goal of Vault. Unfortunately, it ran out of devs before being finished.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

ThinkSome wrote: 04 Apr 2023, 16:46

WildX, Reid: the second part of my post gives a rational reason why to not depend on for-profit & proprietary forges. If that is not enough, I here present another reason to use a self-hosted forge:

A self-hosted forge like TMW GitLab could allow players to use the same account to also access the forge, removing a barrier to entry. It would also allow them to make reports straight from a NPC (some limited form of this is already possible, but would require a dedicated bug-reporting account).

IMO relying on GitHub or Gitlab would actually reduce the barrier to contribute toward the project as most contributors already have an account available in there, but this is just my opinion.

I would like students, indie developers or just general Godot enthusiast to be able to find resource, tools and code samples easily without the need for them to register to another site.
Some contributors also wants to keep their profile active as they use their Gitlab or GitHub activity to showcase their work for new job opportunities, I respect this choice and it's a win-win contribution for both their resume and our project!

Yet, I would like to point out that I'm not a FLOSS evangelist, I use both gimp and photoshop, inkscape and designer, godot and visual studio, windows and linux. We should not limit ourself to just one side of the coin and be able to benefit from all sides.

-- Ford Prefect