[ManaVerse] Some questions

Development discussions for TMW's official client, alternative clients and client adaptations.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

[ManaVerse] Some questions

Post by jesusalva »

I need some questions to be answered before I can finish !44 and !45 to allow specing to work on other stuff:

1. manaplus_emotes.xml or manaverse_emotes.xml ? (and why tf do we have the client injecting emotes?!)

2. --with-manaplusgame or --with-manaversegame ? (I still have no idea what this flag does... renaming breaks some compatibility)
2.1. "src/progs/manaplus" or "src/progs/manaverse" ? Likely should follow same as 2?

3. tmw.manaplus or tmw.manaverse ? (desktop shortcuts mostly, I don't know anyone who uses them though ─ but also affects commandline, so renaming breaks some compatibility)

4. manaplustest or manaversetest ? (do we even care? can't we later get rid of it? renaming breaks some compatibility)

I might have further questions in the future but for now please fill this.

EDIT: Keep in mind current scenario is of projected stability for both ManaVerse and ManaPlus.

Jesusalva (aka. Jesusaves)
Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Former system administrator, project lead and developer.
Do not contact me regarding The Mana World inquiries.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Re: [ManaVerse] Some questions

Post by jesusalva »

My personal choices:

1. manaplus_emotes.xml
2. --with-manaplusgame
2.1 src/progs/manaplus
3. tmw.manaverse
4. manaplustest

Rationale: None. This is actually a poor selection for me and give me more trouble to implement.

Donate to the project! ─ (Note: If you want to support me instead, Buy me a coffee!)

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

1. manaverse_emotes.xml for the sake of converting everything from manaplus to manaverse. These icons were added to promote the use of manaplus on TMW.
  2. You can remove these changes but I would go with --with-manaversegame, same than previously, let's keep everything named the same.
    2.1 Not sure what this part is, could be left with progs/manaplus/
  3. tmw.manaverse, seems to be related to brandings
  4. manaversetest for the sake of uniformity, if it's some unittest let's keep it otherwise we have to understand what it is before to remove, but that may be too much work to do that everywhere :/.

These opinions are only considering the macro view of keeping things coherent everywhere, but it can be skipped if it's too long/too complicated!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

Reid wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:43

2.1 Not sure what this part is, could be left with progs/manaplus/

It is the additional code pieces it installs if --with-manaplusgame is passed. There's no code within which refers to ManaPlus besides copyright headers, so I assume "manaplusgame" is the name of a component (like dyecmd).

Reid wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 23:43

4. manaversetest for the sake of uniformity, if it's some unittest let's keep it otherwise we have to understand what it is before to remove, but that may be too much work to do that everywhere :/.

ManaPlusTest is that awful blinking window full of arrows which opens and closes several times, moves around your console as if to mock you, change the PID several times so you can never kill it; and whenever you accidentally mess up your settings for whatever reason, it show up and deletes every other setting you had.

Reid
Lead Developer (SoM)
Lead Developer (SoM)

Post by Reid »

ManaPlusTest is that awful blinking window full of arrows which opens and closes several times, moves around your console as if to mock you, change the PID several times so you can never kill it; and whenever you accidentally mess up your settings for whatever reason, it show up and deletes every other setting you had.

Ah, you can let it be named ManaPlusTest then, so that we know that we have to nuke it whenever we can!

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
-- Ford Prefect
Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Death to all useless/annoying functions! There's bad terminology too, prob. I assume manaplus-game means the client itself. I never saw any "game" that came with it, ever.

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Ledmitz
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Ledmitz »

Sorry I was so brief before:

jesusalva wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 22:56
  1. manaplus_emotes.xml or manaverse_emotes.xml ? (and why tf do we have the client injecting emotes?!)

How about simply emotes.xml? Also, I agree there is no need for the client to override what a server would prefer to do.

1. --with-manaplusgame or --with-manaversegame ? (I still have no idea what this flag does... renaming breaks some compatibility)

Does the install option actually do anything? I could not instal dyecmd without M+, though I did try to. It seems the "game" installs no matter what, if game refers to the client, but if it does refer to the client, then it was improperly labelled from the start. If it doesn't refer to the client, then I have NO idea what it does refer to. TMW client-data? shrugs

1. tmw.manaplus or tmw.manaverse ?

If its a fork called MV, then MV it should be, especially with a changed logo coming soon(I think).

1. manaplustest or manaversetest ?

I hate this test feature. Its never done anything useful for me here and often gave bad defaults that I later had to change, but it can help to correct a bad resolution issue so the resolution part might need to stay.
mvresreset?

Ledmitz = Ardits = KillerBee = Mystic = Mystical_Servant = Tipsy Skeleton = BoomBoom = Cloak

Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

1. tmw.manaplus or tmw.manaverse ? (desktop shortcuts mostly, I don't know anyone who uses them though ─ but also affects commandline, so renaming breaks some compatibility)

It should just be tmw.mana. There was no need to rename the extension in the first place. Keeping it on .mana makes it clear that the user is free to choose whichever Mana fork they associate with that file.

jesusalva
Moubootaur Legends
Moubootaur Legends

Post by jesusalva »

https://git.themanaworld.org/mana/plus/ ... equests/45 is ready and up for review (140 changed files). A Windows build is or was also available for testing purposes.

But I noticed I have one more question...

~/.local/mana or ~/.local/manaverse ? ManaPlus uses the former, so does Mana. This is where server updates are kept, they don't really change based on the client, so there's benefits in not changing.

I also set ~/.config/mana/manaverse as the default for configuration file, manaplus uses ~/.config/mana/mana and I believe the original Mana client uses ~/.config/mana/manasource. This is not controversial, I guess, but the earlier one is a good question.