Are there any RPG where you have to pay taxes in-game?

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Are there any RPG where you have to pay taxes in-game?

Post by Pajarico »

Are there? How does it work? I'm talking about paying taxes of citizenship or for having a business.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ragnarok Online just introduced a sales tax for player shops to fight the ongoing inflantion. When you buy something from a player shop 2% (or so) are deducted from the sum the seller receives.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Hanno
Peon
Peon

Post by Hanno »

There are sales taxes in EVE Online. They are automatically deducted from each transaction and you can learn skills to lower them.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

:lol: tax evasion skills?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

If you like paying taxes, you may pay mine...

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Uhm, you didn't miss Second Life, right? You can download and play the game for free, but anything you want to buy in the game costs real virtual money, called Linden Dollars (L$ 250,- is currently about US$ 0.91). If you want to own some area or even an island, you buy it and then pay a monthly upkeep (taxes).

For most people Second Life costs money, but many people also manage to do small jobs or set up businesses (like a fashion shop) and actually earn more than they pay. Some even make a living out of it. Also, big companies like IBM and Apple have their own islands in this game.

Currently about $1.5 million is spent every 24 hours in this game.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

According to some independent sources most of the money that changes its owner in 2nd life is through gambling and prostitution ;)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Jesus, if Crush is serious I can't understand how prostitution can be pleasant in a virtual world! :lol:
BadMrBox
Warrior
Warrior

Post by BadMrBox »

Oh baby, rub my polygons!
Why would one like to invoke real money into a game really? Second life seems just like a way for someone to earn easy money...
There is 5,777,853 residents in SL and they spent $1,717,606 in the last 24h... blah.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

BadMrBox wrote:Oh baby, rub my polygons!
Why would one like to invoke real money into a game really? Second life seems just like a way for someone to earn easy money...
There is 5,777,853 residents in SL and they spent $1,717,606 in the last 24h... blah.
Note that most of the payments in SL are not the taxes, but payments from residents to residents. I don't think they're making easy money, actually. If their taxes would be really to high, somebody could simply set up a cheaper second world to live in.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Crush wrote:According to some independent sources most of the money that changes its owner in 2nd life is through gambling and prostitution ;)
Well, exactly like IRL...but IRL there are drugs too.

Regards.
Gonzalo
Peon
Peon

Post by Gonzalo »

On Lineage 2, those who control Castles can set a tax % on their cities' shops, then when you buy something, that % is added to the Castle's treasure (available to the Castle owner)

Code: Select all

System.out.println("Java Developer");
echo 'Powered by Debian GNU/Linux'