[FND]forest tileset

All development of pixel art and graphics
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Re: forest tileset

Post by Crush » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:03 pm

Image
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:08 pm

Oh, I just updated the tree sprites... You were using my old version, sorry about that.

And do you prefer having highlights on the cone shaped tree?
User avatar
Pajarico
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:29 pm
Contact:

Re: forest tileset

Post by Pajarico » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Sorry but I like the bigger version better. The area should be revamped instead of rescaling the tress, they look more like bushes now.
Lv.: Maggot
Please, read the FAQ before posting.
User avatar
GonzoDark
Novice
Novice
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:27 am
Location: Denmark

Re: forest tileset

Post by GonzoDark » Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Pajarico wrote:Sorry but I like the bigger version better. The area should be revamped instead of rescaling the tress, they look more like bushes now.
Yeah - I have to agree on that point.
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Image
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:23 am

Anyway, I have made another leafless tree:

Image

How is the perspective of this one?
User avatar
Pauan
Novice
Novice
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:28 am
Contact:

Re: forest tileset

Post by Pauan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:46 am

Saphy wrote:Anyway, I have made another leafless tree:

Image

How is the perspective of this one?
Much much better. :) Looking quite nice!
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Pauan wrote:
Saphy wrote:Anyway, I have made another leafless tree:

Image

How is the perspective of this one?
Much much better. :) Looking quite nice!
I also agree

btw, I'm messing around with some rock concepts

Image

I still need to add a small shadow
Last edited by Len on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Len wrote:btw, I'm messing around with some rock concepts

Image
cool. But it could use a lighter outline at the top.

I noticed that all trees have brown trunks in the game, but in real life, there are more variety. So I created another trunk, this time it is white with brown strips:

Image

It is created with a very different (and more time-efficient) method than the ones I have posted. Does it look fine?
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Saphy wrote:
Len wrote:btw, I'm messing around with some rock concepts

Image
cool. But it could use a lighter outline at the top.

I noticed that all trees have brown trunks in the game, but in real life, there are more variety. So I created another trunk, this time it is white with brown strips:

Image

It is created with a very different (and more time-efficient) method than the ones I have posted. Does it look fine?
:shock: your trees keep getting smaller

Image
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 pm

Sorry, I didn't take the size into consideration before. Here's a bigger version:

Image

This took me 1.5 hours, whereas the previous brown tree took me 2 hours. It doesn't look as good as the small version though. Adding texture is time consuming. >_<

As for the previous trunk, I hope it can still be used for small tree perhaps?
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:30 am

Saphy wrote:Sorry, I didn't take the size into consideration before. Here's a bigger version:

Image

This took me 1.5 hours, whereas the previous brown tree took me 2 hours. It doesn't look as good as the small version though. Adding texture is time consuming. >_<

As for the previous trunk, I hope it can still be used for small tree perhaps?
Not bad, not bad at all . (not sure if its going to go with the tileset yet)
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Saphy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Re: forest tileset

Post by Saphy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:56 am

I have thinking of having trunk and foliage as separate tile. That way, mapper can add leaves if they feel like it, or no leaves if the tree died etc... We can even have different set of foliage for each tree to add variation to the scene.

Image + Image = Image

Image + Image = Image
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:17 am
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: forest tileset

Post by Len » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:40 am

Image
Redundant ^

Image Image

Image
Redundant ^

Image Image
Lets just cut out the vegetation only tile (and keep the leaveless tree and tree with vegetation)

However keep trying to come up with ideas like this
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:08 pm
Location: Germany

Re: forest tileset

Post by Crush » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Len: your rocks rock ;)

Saphy: Separating trunk and foilage only makes sense when you have different trunks which fit the same leaf tiles. Otherwise you won't reduce the number of used tiles but make it harder to use them for the mapper.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Dr Wahl
Novice
Novice
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:15 am
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: forest tileset

Post by Dr Wahl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm

What about using them for seasonal changes, such as fall and spring?
Image
Post Reply