Mushroms Forest Cave

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Post Reply
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Post by AxlTrozz » 09 Feb 2008, 17:07

Dabe, I'm sorry, it supposed to be a wall, ignore the brown section is just a base, just focus in the green part :)
User avatar
Jetryl
Novice
Novice
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 21:55

Post by Jetryl » 10 Feb 2008, 04:57

Len has clearly clued into this before, but a guy I know named Josiah Tobin made this tutorial on making cliff tiles:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... #clifftile

If you're working on a cave wall, this could be very useful for figuring out how to do texturing. As has been mentioned, you'll want to have more vertical striations that horizontal, but it should still be very helpful. (Said vertical striations would come from picking a different basic shape you lay down for the lit/unlit regions.)
Image
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Post by Len » 13 Feb 2008, 02:08

Jetryl wrote:Len has clearly clued into this before, but a guy I know named Josiah Tobin made this tutorial on making cliff tiles:

http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/exp ... #clifftile

If you're working on a cave wall, this could be very useful for figuring out how to do texturing. As has been mentioned, you'll want to have more vertical striations that horizontal, but it should still be very helpful. (Said vertical striations would come from picking a different basic shape you lay down for the lit/unlit regions.)
It might also be helpful to just create a rock texture then mess with the colors till you find one you like. Then create the basic shapes of the rocks making up the wall and refine

Example:

Image

(I was working on a rock for the forest tileset)

Image

Image


Image
(SD3 Screenshot)
I think a cave like this would be perfect

Image
(Screenshot from Trickster Online)

We can also create simple mushrooms, like the multi-colored spots in the screenshots (as if the shrooms had just started to sprout)

Also you can create cluster tiles, in which you would have multiple mushrooms grouped together rather than just individuals evenly spaced apart.
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
Dave
Novice
Novice
Posts: 294
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 17:39
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Dave » 13 Feb 2008, 05:13

I love in that SD3 screenshot, the way the moss crawls from the wall to the floor. ..and having clustered tiles is a great idea.
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Post by Len » 13 Feb 2008, 11:23

Image
I stayed up all night making this bloody shroom in the style of those from trickster... but I'm not as skilled as they are :?
Image
Last edited by Len on 14 Feb 2008, 18:29, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
MerlinX420
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 574
Joined: 23 Dec 2007, 05:42

that mushroom rocks.

Post by MerlinX420 » 13 Feb 2008, 11:26

Thats one good looking mushroom. That looks awesome.
MerlinX420
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music. Has anybody seen this princess I'm looking for?
User avatar
ElvenProgrammer
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 2526
Joined: 13 Apr 2004, 20:11
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by ElvenProgrammer » 13 Feb 2008, 17:29

Actually it's very nice Len, the only thing is it's a bit too squared, try to make it moure round on the top.
User avatar
Jetryl
Novice
Novice
Posts: 113
Joined: 16 Mar 2005, 21:55

Post by Jetryl » 14 Feb 2008, 03:15

Len wrote:I stayed up all night making this bloody shroom in the style of those from trickster... but I'm not as skilled as they are :?
Looks plenty good to me. :)
Image
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Post by AxlTrozz » 14 Feb 2008, 18:01

sorry I've been quite sick, but I did some mushroom variations as Dabe's recommendations

Image
User avatar
Dave
Novice
Novice
Posts: 294
Joined: 26 Mar 2006, 17:39
Location: USA
Contact:

Post by Dave » 14 Feb 2008, 18:19

AxlTrozz wrote:sorry I've been quite sick..
:( hope you feel better soon.

Good job shrinking that mushroom. Len made a good point about the mushrooms the other day; we should try to make some tiles that are clusters of mushrooms. Most of these clusters would be made up of the smallest mushrooms, but each tile could contain more than a single variety. Just another possible remedy to reduce blockiness.
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Post by Len » 15 Feb 2008, 09:52

dabe wrote:
AxlTrozz wrote:sorry I've been quite sick..
:( hope you feel better soon.

Good job shrinking that mushroom. Len made a good point about the mushrooms the other day; we should try to make some tiles that are clusters of mushrooms. Most of these clusters would be made up of the smallest mushrooms, but each tile could contain more than a single variety. Just another possible remedy to reduce blockiness.
Yes, get better soon we need you to help beautify the Mana world.
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Re: Mushroms Forest Cave

Post by AxlTrozz » 15 Feb 2008, 17:25

Dabe, Len thank you for your words, I feel better now :)

P.S. by the way, what a nice new look in the forum (Platyna don't kill me because I'm out of the topic ;) )
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re:

Post by Rotonen » 15 Feb 2008, 18:29

Len wrote:I stayed up all night making this...
Glad to see our work morale is improving... :twisted:
AxlTrozz wrote:I've been quite sick..
You have my symphaties too. (Rather poorly expressed.)
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
AxlTrozz
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 843
Joined: 05 Aug 2006, 00:12
Location: Now from TX

Re: Re:

Post by AxlTrozz » 18 Feb 2008, 16:58

Rotonen wrote:
AxlTrozz wrote:I've been quite sick..
You have my symphaties too. (Rather poorly expressed.)

Thank you Rotonen
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: Mushroms Forest Cave

Post by Len » 20 Feb 2008, 00:57

Image

Lol, added a new wall proposal... (eventually we might have to pick something and go with it)
Last edited by Len on 20 Feb 2008, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Pixel Battalion
Post Reply