Games with alcohol systems

Talk about anything, including games and servers not affiliated with The Mana World.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Games with alcohol systems

Post by Crush »

I am currently conceptualizing an alcohol system for TMWServ and I could need some help with research.

Does anyone know any games (preferably online and roleplaying but other genres might be interesting, too) where you can drink alcohol and you get a direct or indirect benefit for it? The only one I know is Kingdom of Loathing.

When you know any other games where drinking alcohol makes sense from the gameplay perspective it would be very nice when you would explain how this system works.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Games with alcohol systems

Post by Vink »

Benefit? Wouldn't problems or side effects make more sense?
But a system sounds very good, especially one that's based on research.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When there would be only negative effects when drinking alcohol noone would do it and the whole system would be useless.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

I remember som’ ol’ good RPGs where alchol raised attributes like strength, but lowered agility and the likes. They tended to have some kind of resistance against getting drunk as well, mostly dependent on race. I do not dare mention any titles, as it was so long I played them. This system is okay and works, but nothing special with it.

The old adventure games sometimes used spirits as something you had to use, in one way or another, but then again, they used every kind of item in those games...

The only current game I can think of is Dofus, but since I only tried it out a little, I do not know much. Alcohol seem to have some effect on at least one of the races (Pandawa). Hm. I found this information, it seems beer mostly gives a boost to health and related attributes.

I read through your proposal, and I think it’s quite similar to bragging, hm... perhaps something to work on for quests? While I’m not against alcohol in the game, I think that the positive effects should be moderate, otherwise drinking may become one of the things one “have to do to level quickly”. But as something that widens the world and different kinds of gameplay, it’s great! :mrgreen:
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Crush wrote:When there would be only negative effects when drinking alcohol noone would do it and the whole system would be useless.
No, of course there shouldn't be only negative effects, but you only mentioned benefits. :) As Ces said, it would probably be wise to keep the benefits moderate.
Dimond
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dimond »

Well there is Runescape....
There is beer in Runescape so when you drink it you gain 1 heath point, but beer in TMW works the same except
more heath points when you've been attacked by monsters.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I don't think I have ever played a game where there are negatives to drinking alcohol, this could be interesting I think...you drink too much alcohol and then you randomly sit down, and lay down...yep, this could be interesting! =D
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Fable: The Lost Chapters.
You got drunk, everything went blurry and you couldn't walk straight and eventually you vomited and became sober again. It was fantastic! :lol:
~Feline Monstrosity
GonzoDark
Warrior
Warrior

Post by GonzoDark »

feline monstrosity wrote:Fable: The Lost Chapters.
You got drunk, everything went blurry and you couldn't walk straight and eventually you vomited and became sober again. It was fantastic! :lol:
omg I love that game ;)

It could be cool if we could adapt that feature into TMW. (not the vomit part, but the rest) :lol:

// GonzoDark
IchigoBlack (86) a.k.a GonzoDark (80) || HolyManaClan

Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

Alzorath
Peon
Peon

Post by Alzorath »

Baldur's Gate had an alcohol system (you could get drunk to get tips from people).

I seem to remember there being a first person action game where you could drink alcohol - and it would provide a sort of miniature 'berserk' type effect (boosts and penalties of being 'drunk' - would impact your vision though)

Oh yea, and dunno if they left it in or not (can't say I tried getting drunk after alpha) - but in the Guild Wars Alpha you could get drunk on Dwarven Ale, however this was simply for entertainment purposes and didn't effect gameplay too much (it'd make your screen 'funny').
My Images created specifically for TMW are released under the following license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/
Hexico
Peon
Peon

Post by Hexico »

Ces wrote:I remember som’ ol’ good RPGs where alchol raised attributes like strength, but lowered agility and the likes. They tended to have some kind of resistance against getting drunk as well, mostly dependent on race. I do not dare mention any titles, as it was so long I played them. This system is okay and works, but nothing special with it.

The old adventure games sometimes used spirits as something you had to use, in one way or another, but then again, they used every kind of item in those games...

The only current game I can think of is Dofus, but since I only tried it out a little, I do not know much. Alcohol seem to have some effect on at least one of the races (Pandawa). Hm. I found this information, it seems beer mostly gives a boost to health and related attributes.

I read through your proposal, and I think it’s quite similar to bragging, hm... perhaps something to work on for quests? While I’m not against alcohol in the game, I think that the positive effects should be moderate, otherwise drinking may become one of the things one “have to do to level quickly”. But as something that widens the world and different kinds of gameplay, it’s great! :mrgreen:
Indeed, Pandawa do get damage resistance and such when they drink, but the real reason for using the spell Boozer is to get access to the elemental spells. Alchoholic Fist, Alchoholic Breath, Hangover, Explosive Flask, Pandatak and Spirit Bond all require the use of Boozer.
Of course, Pandas suck anyways because they lose one VERY IMPORTANT MP when they use Boozer, and the only build that doesn't require the use of Boozer to do good damage is the Chance build. Chance characters do better damage with water attacks, and you get your first water spell(Melancholy) at level 54.
So, yeah, Pandas can't do **** at low levels and that makes GETTING them to the higher levels harder..

Enough Dofus analysis though.

I can't think of any other examples other than what has already been mentioned.. I guess we're not going to make a drunken fighting style since that would take a lot more sprites to look cool(you'd have to be all tipsy and stuff, which is probably much more easily done with 3D models or, in Dofus' case, motion-tweened movie clips) and actually be rewarding. The current charsets are much too stiff in battle to be believably drunk.

I say that it should raise your strength(hit harder) a lot but lower your dexterity a little bit too(less accurate). Maybe it'd be fun if instead of having some beer in your inventory and chugging it right before you get into a fight on the battlefield, a group of warriors would have to go into a bar before the battle and have their fill of ale... it'd be a tradition. If we could find some way to make it fun and not "oh, great. Before we can fight, if we want to win we're going to have to stop at the pub and wait for everyone to drink". Obviously rangers are not going to benefit from this, so maybe if there was something that raised dexterity(not by as much though, since there'd be no point in taking away strength to balance this.. Maybe if they lost intelligence, this would discourage range/mage hybrids. Or at least prevent them from dominating.
Dr Wahl
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Dr Wahl »

World of Warcraft has a drinking system the makes the screen begin to SLIGHTLY zoom in/out and pan left/right to give the effect of dizziness and tunnel vision (and very slight stumbling). There isn't much to the drinking system other than some drinks are more potent than others, and some give buffs like stamina. If you drink a lot on WoW, you do not build up a tolerance (at least as far as I can tell), however, for a 'normal' beer, you need to drink about 7 to be 'totally smashed'. There are other drinks that cost more that require less for you to drink before you get smashed, but those are slightly more difficult to find, and some are only obtainable once a year through seasonal events. The level of drunkenness that your character is increases the dizziness effect. That just about covers the entire drinking system for WoW.

Not a great video, but towards the end you can see the panning/zooming effect that WoW does for drinking:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Pgkcs0Xw_A

A slightly better video that shows the drunkenness in a less chaotic environment:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=09uc36DwEaE

Fable (and I assume Fable 2) has a drinking system that actually effects your characters movement and vision, which make it difficult to engage in combat or participate in bar games, however, if you drink too much, you end up puking it up and losing some of your buzz.

A decent video (poor quality) that shows how tough it is to see when you are drunk:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EdQR2CaVrac
Squrd
Peon
Peon

Post by Squrd »

Yea, having an alcohol affect in the game would be pretty cool, I think there should also be a drug system where you get a massive trip.
USA
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

With a brief look you missed the best point about how WoWs alcohol system works.

When you drink, you start to feel more confident in yourself. This is portrayed by first making your stats look a bit better, your equipment look a bit better and even your level seem a bit higher. Ultimately even the monsters seem to be of a lower level.

If you have forgotten you are drunk in the game, this can lead into some interesting encounters out on the field.

It is so far the best alcohol system I have seen.
This message used to be meaningful.