New names for maps under eAthena

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

New names for maps under eAthena

Post by Jaxad0127 » 06 Oct 2008, 18:36

I propose a better naming scheme for maps under eAthena: http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... _Map_Names.

This scheme adds map information to the names themselves and show more relationship between maps.
Image
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: New names for maps under eAthena

Post by Jaxad0127 » 06 Oct 2008, 21:00

After some discussion on IRC, the article has been updated to describe a better system. A table with long descriptions of the maps (to go on the Map development article has been added as well.
Image
User avatar
octalot
Novice
Novice
Posts: 214
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 20:15

Re: New names for maps under eAthena

Post by octalot » 06 Oct 2008, 21:24

Please use names that the forum's search feature will search for (the xxx-y scheme seems to work for this).

If a 2-level cave has already been made with xxx-3 and xxx-4, and then someone thinks it would be good to put a level between those two, how will it be numbered?

I think it should cope with an underground temple being developed. That would have an overground map, maybe houses overground, the cave, the inside of the temple. How would you then cope with extra temple maps extending horizontally and extra cave levels?
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: New names for maps under eAthena

Post by Jaxad0127 » 06 Oct 2008, 21:30

octalot wrote:Please use names that the forum's search feature will search for (the xxx-y scheme seems to work for this).
Are you sure it doesn't? ;)
octalot wrote:If a 2-level cave has already been made with xxx-3 and xxx-4, and then someone thinks it would be good to put a level between those two, how will it be numbered?

I think it should cope with an underground temple being developed. That would have an overground map, maybe houses overground, the cave, the inside of the temple. How would you then cope with extra temple maps extending horizontally and extra cave levels?
Cave levels don't need to be strictly adhered to. The big thing is that overworld is "level" 1, indoor "level" 2, caves "level" 3+. This relates related maps (indoor/outdoor and cave levels) while being nicely sortable. Extra indoor maps can be handled specially when needed.
Image
User avatar
octalot
Novice
Novice
Posts: 214
Joined: 23 Sep 2008, 20:15

Re: New names for maps under eAthena

Post by octalot » 06 Oct 2008, 21:34

Clarification: it's the old "new_x-1" scheme that can't be found using the forum's search.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: New names for maps under eAthena

Post by Jaxad0127 » 06 Oct 2008, 21:42

octalot wrote:Clarification: it's the old "new_x-1" scheme that can't be found using the forum's search.
phpBB's built-in search is quite broken.

Testing: 001-1 (Tulimshar)

Edit: The default search won't use the new format either, but searching for any term gets close enough.

The old format is rejected by both methods.
Image
Post Reply