English speaking

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.
Forum rules
This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums
Locked
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: English speaking

Post by Len » 25 Dec 2008, 11:03

yasha wrote:
Len wrote:Its unlikely that someone will try and spread underage porn or try to meet with someone who is underage(or any other illegal activity) on TMW. But the odds are not zero and things like this have happened in other games.
They surely won't do this on public chat, they'll whisper. I know this can happen, but it can happen on all games. Since we can whisper what we want, with public chat censuring we won't get anything.

You'd be shocked at how stupid people can be (someone was angry at our local police station, so he smashed his truck repeatedly into the parked police vehicles at the station)
Image
Pixel Battalion
User avatar
feline monstrosity
Novice
Novice
Posts: 430
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 15:08
Location: Wales, UK

Re: English speaking

Post by feline monstrosity » 25 Dec 2008, 12:01

Guys, I posted an easy solution to your problem two pages ago. Why keep arguing? Listen to me!
~Feline Monstrosity
ville-v
Peon
Peon
Posts: 18
Joined: 02 Sep 2008, 12:54

Re: English speaking

Post by ville-v » 25 Dec 2008, 12:05

feline monstrosity wrote:Guys, I posted an easy solution to your problem two pages ago. Why keep arguing? Listen to me!
Racial segregation is not an easy solution.
User avatar
swimmy
Novice
Novice
Posts: 439
Joined: 17 Oct 2008, 09:53
Location: Japan
Contact:

Re: English speaking

Post by swimmy » 25 Dec 2008, 13:16

crojas wrote:I have decided to post this here to let you know that me and many people are disagree with the rule "only english speaking". I know that english its an universal language and it can be understood in many places but I think everybody should be able to comunicate by using their own language.
However, I want to talk in my language "Japanese",
but I always talk in English because this game can't write kana.

I think we must talk in English when you want to buy&sell.
but we don't have to speak english in private chat.
who was...
celso
Peon
Peon
Posts: 49
Joined: 13 Jul 2008, 00:29
Location: Portugal!!!!

Re: English speaking

Post by celso » 25 Dec 2008, 13:31

some time ago, i played a game called eternal lands and i notice about their chat system. why we dont make a few chanels for the most used languages like they do? if i want to speak english, i choose the english chanel and if i want to speak portuguese, i choose portuguese chanel.
or if is hard to decide, simply make the one language as english. i live in portugal and most of the games that i played was in english (90% of them) and i never care about that. i didnt stop playing them because of that...

peace
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: English speaking

Post by Rotonen » 25 Dec 2008, 15:08

celso wrote:some time ago, i played a game called eternal lands and i notice about their chat system. why we dont make a few chanels for the most used languages like they do? if i want to speak english, i choose the english chanel and if i want to speak portuguese, i choose portuguese chanel.
or if is hard to decide, simply make the one language as english. i live in portugal and most of the games that i played was in english (90% of them) and i never care about that. i didnt stop playing them because of that...

peace
Because our eAthena platform does not and will not support channels. In TMWserv, most likely yes, but we're still not there yet.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: English speaking

Post by Jaxad0127 » 25 Dec 2008, 17:01

Rotonen wrote:
celso wrote:some time ago, i played a game called eternal lands and i notice about their chat system. why we dont make a few chanels for the most used languages like they do? if i want to speak english, i choose the english chanel and if i want to speak portuguese, i choose portuguese chanel.
or if is hard to decide, simply make the one language as english. i live in portugal and most of the games that i played was in english (90% of them) and i never care about that. i didnt stop playing them because of that...

peace
Because our eAthena platform does not and will not support channels. In TMWserv, most likely yes, but we're still not there yet.
TMWServ does support channels. Adding dedicated channels for each major language is an option. Local chat (what we have under eAthena) won't be different.
swimmy wrote:
crojas wrote:I have decided to post this here to let you know that me and many people are disagree with the rule "only english speaking". I know that english its an universal language and it can be understood in many places but I think everybody should be able to comunicate by using their own language.
However, I want to talk in my language "Japanese",
but I always talk in English because this game can't write kana.

I think we must talk in English when you want to buy&sell.
but we don't have to speak english in private chat.
The TMWServ client should be able to, but I'm not sure.
Image
idel
Peon
Peon
Posts: 3
Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 06:11

Re: English speaking

Post by idel » 25 Dec 2008, 20:03

:D Hi all, I like this game more and more. I follow its rules, but I'm not happy with this one. Its terrible that persecution of people for speaking their language. We are not criminals, we are people from all around the world. The best thing in this game, variety of people. It is sad to see people who dont want to let us express our point of view. Why do you want disregard us? We are part of this community, this is not a democracy, but we can express our thoughts.. I hope we can feel freedom in this world.

Sorry for my pretty bad English... :mrgreen:
Joser93
Peon
Peon
Posts: 17
Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:16

Re: English speaking

Post by Joser93 » 26 Dec 2008, 00:21

Arilious wrote:There already is leniency, it's called "find a non-public space to speak your language in."
i have something to say, someone called NYCS was taking advantages about this rule check this out
NYCS.jpg
NYCS.jpg (67.77 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
we was killing snakes, and he comes
this picture it from Manjes, he take all the chat to NYCS told us, he come with us to threatening because we talk another language, he take it before we was in the cave
chat NYCS.png
chat NYCS.png (245.82 KiB) Viewed 1055 times
with this i can prove the kind of discrimination with all the non-english comunity (well, i don't know if someone have se same problem) but we takes advantages from this rule and show the real problem, that the reason i am posting, because we want a secure form to talk our languages.
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: English speaking

Post by Rotonen » 26 Dec 2008, 00:33

I'm willing to classify that kind of harassment based on non-english languages as a violation too.

So which are we going to take: uncertainty of what people are saying or constantly harassing a lot of people about talking in their native language?
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
feline monstrosity
Novice
Novice
Posts: 430
Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 15:08
Location: Wales, UK

Re: English speaking

Post by feline monstrosity » 26 Dec 2008, 00:53

ville-v wrote:
feline monstrosity wrote:Guys, I posted an easy solution to your problem two pages ago. Why keep arguing? Listen to me!
Racial segregation is not an easy solution.
That is ridiculously melodramatic. This is a freaking video game. Other MMORPGs do it, why can't we?

EDIT: The reason I call your comment melodramatic is because when you say "racial segregation" it implies oppression and reminds me (personally) of early 20th century USA. However we are not totally segregating an entire race, this is a computer game. We are keeping people apart in a game, not ruining people's lives and oppressing people!
~Feline Monstrosity
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: English speaking

Post by kr0n05931 » 26 Dec 2008, 03:56

I totally forgot how you have to be of a certain race to speak a language. :roll:

First it was because all the developers are from English speaking countries, now it is because we are racially segregating people. Get your facts straight and quit bothering everyone on this issue, you're not going to change the rules, and it was decided long ago that this game was to be spoken in English due to obvious reasons of people doing illicit things. Your arguments are pointless and you are wasting your time. This is a Free open source game, you can make your own server in your language, and if that isn't enough, you can start your own project based on The Mana World. Unless you would like to volunteer for translating the entire game including NPC dialogs, error messages, and the fonts so that we can support every language imaginable, even Klingon, I suggest you quit bringing up an "issue" that will never be solved, no matter how hard you try.

This is my last and final post in this topic and I invite everyone to quit feeding the trolls. The Mana World allows you to use /whisper "player name" message to speak your own language. I doubt that your problem with English only will ever be solved with attitudes and reactions such as this (click). Your peers are dragging your case to the ground and beating a dead horse with a stick, it's because of stupid things like that, that people can't have nice things.

I see using the race and English-only arguments as petty last-chance arguments when all of your arguments have been proven wrong. We have contradicted your points several times, and all y'all are doing now is constantly repeating yourselves.

</topic>
Lazy bum.
Elrrohir
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Oct 2008, 02:38

Re: English speaking

Post by Elrrohir » 26 Dec 2008, 04:22

all this talk about serious matters is moving away the focus over the issue here: why can't we speack in our native language in public areas. It doesn't matter how solid are the basis of my thesis against the annoying rule, the rule is still there. I met 2 russian guys today. kind people. one of them speak english and the othe only speaks russian. We use english to talk, naturally. I didn't felt offended nor segregated. they were talking between them in russian. I really think this rule should be replaced by: The official language is English. If you don't speak english, you are free to use any other language. but please, try to talk outside public areas.
Even more: u can add something like a rule of conduct; something like: If someone ask u something in english and u don't speak english, at least tell that to the other character "i don't speak english"

get rid of the stupid rule. try to see and understand the fact that your game is getting full of people that add a lot of diversity to it and that is good for the game. stop chasing non-english speakers and concentrate in the content and the quality of the game. this can get huge if u get a lil more flexible. does of us who speak a lil bit will continue to send bug reports, suggestions and feeedback along with all the congratulations needed and deserved.

thanks for this cool game and thanks for choosing the open source way of living.

now, please, let us talk swahili if we like...
Elrrohir
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 18 Oct 2008, 02:38

Re: English speaking

Post by Elrrohir » 26 Dec 2008, 04:29

kr0n05931 wrote:I see using the race and English-only arguments as petty last-chance arguments when all of your arguments have been proven wrong. We have contradicted your points several times, and all y'all are doing now is constantly repeating yourselves.

</topic>
I'm still waiting for u or any other to answer my questions. this is not a last resource, it is the classic "lets see who has it bigger"... im talking about arguments, of course. and, honestly, man: this discussion is in a leve that you haven't reach yet ;)

If there is really nothing to say, stay away and watch, u may learn something.
User avatar
Len
Knight
Knight
Posts: 1479
Joined: 05 Feb 2007, 07:17
Location: Lurking in the shadows

Re: English speaking

Post by Len » 26 Dec 2008, 08:07

It would be wise not to double post and just use edit
Image
Pixel Battalion
Locked