Should TMW use British English or American English?

Content and general development discussion, including maps, quests, and server code from the development team.

Should TMW use British English or American English?

British English
18
43%
American English
18
43%
Ænglisc
3
7%
Middle English
3
7%
 
Total votes: 42
sj16936724
Peon
Peon
Posts: 12
Joined: 30 Jul 2008, 19:12

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by sj16936724 » 19 Jun 2009, 21:25

Canadian English? Spelling just like British English, the right way, but we use American terms like gas instead of petrol.
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Kage » 19 Jun 2009, 21:54

Habari wrote:BRITISH ENGLISH = REAL ENGLISH
AMERICAN ENGLISH = RUBBISH
Again, what makes British English "Real English"?

If you mean because it came before American English. Does that mean that Old English is better because it came before British English?

Your argument is flawed.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
User avatar
Goku
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 925
Joined: 15 Feb 2009, 01:57

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Goku » 19 Jun 2009, 22:24

So American English is the newest? Let's go with that. Unless Canadian English is newer, but come on, it's Canada. :P
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by kr0n05931 » 19 Jun 2009, 23:19

Kage wrote:
Habari wrote:BRITISH ENGLISH = REAL ENGLISH
AMERICAN ENGLISH = RUBBISH
Again, what makes British English "Real English"?

If you mean because it came before American English. Does that mean that Old English is better because it came before British English?

Your argument is flawed.
Out of the two, American English is actually more pure, since we still have the accent marks in many of our words.

Matinée, Fiancé, Animé

We even have umlauts!

über, naïve

We even mix it up a little

naïvéte

We even pronounce many words like they were in French, German, and Spanish

Envoy (Ohn voy), Valet (Val ay), Amigo (Ah me goh), Quesadilla (Kay suh dee ya), Fraulein (Fr aw line)

We also still use the Persian -ck instead of the French -que in words

chequered (British) -> checkered (American), cheque (British) -> check (American)
Last edited by kr0n05931 on 22 Jun 2009, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.
Lazy bum.
User avatar
Jaxad0127
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 4209
Joined: 01 Nov 2007, 18:35
Location: Internet

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Jaxad0127 » 20 Jun 2009, 02:06

kr0n05931 wrote:
Kage wrote:
Habari wrote:BRITISH ENGLISH = REAL ENGLISH
AMERICAN ENGLISH = RUBBISH
Again, what makes British English "Real English"?

If you mean because it came before American English. Does that mean that Old English is better because it came before British English?

Your argument is flawed.
Out of the two, American English is actually more pure, since we still have the accent marks in many of our words.

Matinée, Fiancé, Animé

We even have umlauts!

über, naïve

We even mix it up a little

naïvéte

We even pronounce many words like they were in French, German, and Spanish

Envoy (Ohn voy), Valet (Val ay), Amigo (Ah me goh), Quesadilla (Kay suh dee ya), Fraulein (Fr aw line)

We also still use the German -ck instead of the French -que in words

chequered (British) -> checkered (American), Cheque (British) -> Check (American)
Don't forget more Latin spellings, like sulfur instead of sulphur.
Image
User avatar
Black Don
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 660
Joined: 06 Feb 2008, 22:30

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Black Don » 20 Jun 2009, 02:51

sj16936724 wrote:Canadian English? Spelling just like British English, the right way, but we use American terms like gas instead of petrol.
I agree Canadian English is best cause you can spell it any old way and no one gives a rats arse about it. Maybe being Canadian makes me be bias but I also like taking the British and American versions and 'bending them over' and have my way with them.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
User avatar
Ben141
Peon
Peon
Posts: 69
Joined: 26 May 2009, 10:02
Location: Australia

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Ben141 » 20 Jun 2009, 03:00

Use klingon!
User avatar
trapdoor
Novice
Novice
Posts: 216
Joined: 18 Feb 2007, 13:36

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by trapdoor » 21 Jun 2009, 15:06

I will always use British English, since American English was created mainly to remove the french influence of English, which seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Others can feel free to translate if needed, but all my work on the client and server will use British English.

--
trapdoor
User avatar
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 3154
Joined: 08 Sep 2004, 20:48
Location: Espoo, Finland

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Rotonen » 21 Jun 2009, 18:21

As long as it is consistent with itself, almost no one cares.
This message used to be meaningful.
User avatar
Kage
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 927
Joined: 02 May 2009, 19:12

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Kage » 21 Jun 2009, 18:47

trapdoor wrote:Others can feel free to translate if needed, but all my work on the client and server will use British English.
I feel the same way. I know American English, I don't know British well. So I write American.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
User avatar
Grism
Peon
Peon
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Feb 2009, 13:22
Location: Between 3 steps ahead and somewhere far beyond.

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Grism » 21 Jun 2009, 19:07

GoogleTranslatorEnglish! xD
I am angry! Some things are makin me friendly!
User avatar
kr0n05931
Warrior
Warrior
Posts: 652
Joined: 26 Jul 2008, 02:59
Location: United Socialist States of America
Contact:

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by kr0n05931 » 22 Jun 2009, 08:23

trapdoor wrote:I will always use British English, since American English was created mainly to remove the french influence of English, which seems like a complete waste of time to me.

Others can feel free to translate if needed, but all my work on the client and server will use British English.

--
trapdoor
Actually, you're wrong there.

The Francophile-era Britain went through that caused it to adopt certain French words and endings on its words was unexperienced by the Americas because it happened in the 19th century, a time when Britain and America were very, very angry at one another. Therefore, the extra French influences happened after the split between American and British English, which started way back in 1607 when Jamestown was founded in Virginia.

Extra French influences (Occurring AFTER 1781):

Check (Persian: Ú†Ú© (Anglicized: Chek) ) -> Cheque (French-like phonetic spelling)
Lazy bum.
User avatar
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice
Posts: 194
Joined: 28 Apr 2009, 22:22
Location: Everywhere... In the shadows... Waiting...
Contact:

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by CapitanAwesome » 22 Jun 2009, 10:01

+1 for AUSSIE ENGLISH!
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon
Posts: 32
Joined: 28 May 2009, 21:10

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Pandemonium » 22 Jun 2009, 14:16

I am completely American... being that I'm a mutt of more then 8 different nationalities. I have no problem reading and understanding English in any form.

The differences (in any English dialect)are just semantics, like calling something rubbish or trash, gas or petrol, lift or elevator, wanker or jerk... it will still get us to the conclusion about whatever the said topic would be. Any one with a Brain will know whats being said you just have to pay attention.

So if its for NPC text, it shouldn't be a big deal at all... As for you programming just add a ";American English" or ";British English" even ":Aussie English" at the top of your code so any one looking at it after you will know going in to it what to exspect, language wise.
User avatar
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser
Posts: 8046
Joined: 25 Aug 2005, 17:08
Location: Germany

Re: Should TMW use British English or American English?

Post by Crush » 22 Jun 2009, 14:28

Pandemonium wrote:So if its for NPC text, it shouldn't be a big deal at all... As for you programming just add a ";American English" or ";British English" even ":Aussie English" at the top of your code so any one looking at it after you will know going in to it what to exspect, language wise.
Wish it would be so easy...

Code interoperability is the key.

It is really annoying when you write code like

Code: Select all

object->setColor(col);
which fails to compile and after a half hour of troubleshooting you realize that the guy who wrote the class of Object named the method setColour.

Even more awkward situations arrive when you use classes from people with different dialects together:

Code: Select all

object->setColour(otherObject->getColor());
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.


You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Locked